RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I gave it my best shot.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Well, I gave it my best shot.

As of about 2 hours ago, the decision was made by my spinal doctor that it is time for me to go ahead with surgery. I was presented 2 options, basically having the 5th and 6th vertabre in my neck fused, or having an artificial disc put in between them.

The artificial disc treatment is still considered 'experimental' therefore if I chose that route my career in the Marines would be over. That being said I have opted for the fusion surgery.

Basically this surgery involves taking some bone from a cadaver and placing it inbetween the vertabre in my neck where the disc used to be, and then holding it in place with a metal bracket. The vertabrae would then fuse together by growing into the bone from the cadaver.

The procedure is pretty much as risk free as it could be for someone my age.

The actual risks are being paralyzed, disfunctional swallowing or a 'hoarse voice' for the rest of my life.

My date for the surgery has not yet been scheduled, when I find it out I will be sure to let you guys know but I should at that time have some time to spend with the RunUO community as I will be laid up pretty much for 2-3 weeks. For those of you who know me, being laid up like that is pretty much going to be the worst thing to ever happen to me.

I am still trying to save up the money to get a laptop so that I can at least get online and play some UO with you guys or something.

This being said for right now I am putting the test center on hold and will be getting back to you guys on it when I get the chance.

Thanks,
Ryan

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Surgery's n'er fun and stuff (sisst'ers had too many surgerys :-( ), but you have a good doctor from what I gather, and you have the support & stuff from all of us at RunUO :)

I wish I had some cheesy inspiration saying to put here, but, I don't so I'll just say, I hope it goes well & you have a speedy recovery!

Dracarys

Wanderer
A wise choice, imho.

Usually, fusion surgery is no problem (at least over here) and many people I know have combines/fusioned discs (comes with my job).

However, there is always a little risk. I hope everything goes well. You have my best wishes.

drackous

Wanderer
Ok guys I hardly ever post so none of you know me and the ones that do either like me or hate me but that is besides the point. Right now I hear someone in need of help from the community that he has created.

Ryan is Going to be laid up for a while and he is going to go nuts just laying there. So to get this ball rolling I am Donating $5. I know there is alot of people out there that can at least Donate $1.

So lets Do this and raise the money Ryan needs to keep his sanity. :D I can donate more If i want to but i think it is time for all to give back to a person that has given so much.

Thanks Ryan for everything. Lets get a tally going so we can show Ryan how much we apreciate him.
And Our Prays are with you.

To make it easy here is a link

Donate To Save Ryan's Sanity

Mifune

Sorceror
Hey Ryan, we're all with you on this. I hope the surgery goes well.

Just a question though, and not to seem nosy, but do you have hope for a full recovery/full mobility without much pain, once you are fully healed from the surgery?

drackous

Wanderer
Ok We Are Only up To $23 Come on guys I know we can do better then That Will Post again On amount donated .

Target goal Is $800 So we Are not even making a Dent I am Spreading the Word And getting My Players To Donate To The Save Ryan's Sanity Cause . I will Post Amounts Donated As time goes on Let's Give Back To Ryan.

EmiUS

Wanderer
K, as a silent noob, I just doubled with interest, $25.00 dollars from a limey bar-steward (pronounced phonetically)

Dude, my recommendation for staying sane while layed up is plenty of sponge baths ... if it was me the $800 might last a few days :cool:

Emius
AKA SlashEEr @ Shienar

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
drackous said:
Ok Lastest update we are up to $300 Keep it comming Guys even a Dollar helps

I cannot tell you how just shocked that I am by this.

Anyone who has donated, or does donate to this 25 dollars or more is getting a lifetime subscription.

I cannot tell you how just insanely impressed I am.

Thank you all.

Darkblade

Wanderer
Hey Ryan :)

I wish i could donate $100 Dollars but cant :(

I wish you alot of Luck bud dont give up and keep at it mate :)

Aka Darkmage Ex-GM of UOX Test Centre

reggiewjr1

Wanderer
Mtn. Biking Accident, nearly the same issue, but I didn't have insurance right after I got out ot the USMC so no surgery....

I still have neck, shoulder, arm, lower back and leg pain daily...Not nearly as bad as you Ryan, but it will be a life long issue no matter what happens. So like you said it's pretty much good to go as far as surgeons ability etc...and your no Sick Bay Commando so you should have no worries, few months of physical therapy and strengthening and you'll be good to go.

Good Luck & Semper Fi

Oh yeah, Thanks!!

Reggie Whitcomb
Cpl - USMC
Wpns 2/6 - 0352/0311

bean56

Wanderer
I would like to donate, but would have to set up a paypal account and everything, which I don't have time for so for now, you'll just have to wait till I get back from work tomorrow Ryan :p. Best of wishes on you surgery. You seem like a good person and everything, I think you'll be fine. :)

I forgot to mention, get desperatley needed paycheck tomorrow too.

Osmundas

Wanderer
Sister-in-law had the fusion done to her.

No side effects. Everythings on the up and up. Here's to hoping yours goes as well as many others Ryan!

Cheers

-Os