RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of OSI-Clone do you prefer?

habitat85 said:
Well basicly what AoS pvp has come to is all item based, Whoever has the better armor will most likely win. DiabUO

so a gm mage/med/eval w/ 60 all resists will beat a 120 mage/med/eval w/ only 50 all resists?

skill difference makes difference as usual....

Alkiser

Administrator
I think your all missing the point, prior to Pub16 Items played little to no role in pvp except as a means to and end (aka your adversary being dead) Now after they introduces Runics and god forbid this new shit from AOS, without items you CANNOT (read, CANNOT) pvp worth a crap. Fair you say? Fine fine, if you want to spend hundreds of real dollars, millions of real gold, or days of time to get said items, be my guest.

I can see how the new AOS system is better, I can also see how it is worse. Well.... my two cents.

argentsmoke

Sorceror
or days of time to get said items,

Isn't that kind of the point of a PERSISTENT STATE game? otherwise...grab the PS/2 and waste a coupla hours...
just my humble onpinion....

UO isn't a quarter a shot video game, it's a persistent state game that should reward the powergamer. An by powergamer, I don't mean the lett dewd with the smokin conn that logs in and expects to PWN everyone immediately. I'll grant you it should be about skill mostly, but with the introduction of items that can give an edge...they should be hard to get (like skills) and there should be many different flavors.

So the items should make the difference between 2 experienced nox mages slugging it out as an example

flipside

Wanderer
I can't vote on any of them.... because I like UO-Renaissance not Pre-UOR, just UOR... PvP as it was in Pub 16 but without powerscrolls, runic hammers, BOD's, and stat scrolls, and followers system, all that shit that EA made to ruin UO.

flipside

Wanderer
All of the items listen above, I could deal with, but AoS beat the royal shit out of UO, no wonder they had to up the price, so many people quit.

psz

Administrator
... and many people joined. Thus the reason they still have ~250,000 active accounts...

xxgothsweden

Wanderer
This is why I dislike AoS:
Crap loot.
A warrior dosn't really get the good gold they used to.
and sometimes you would get a regular piece of armor off like a dragon, but now you kill a dragon and you get that sword with 3% damage increase 1% hit chance increase and 500 gold. I mean before you could at least expect a might weapon.
The bonuses:
Yes, spell channeling made my archer mage fun to play, but a guy who can cast xplo ebolt while hitting u with his 50% dmg icnrease spear isn't what i call fun.
Faster casting / Faster recovery
For fucks sake, don't change the old times and leave them out. when someone can xplo mb ebolt in the time it takes someone without to cast xplo, it's NOT fun.
Hit change increase:
Self explainitory.. The dexxer hits you enuf you don't need to be hit 60% more. (wep/shield/ring/bracelet)
The insane damage increases:
Vanq = awesome. That's cool.
Now, a Vanq (35%) dosn't go for more than 2k.
Luck: Ok, the tamer gets even MORE stuff? I don't like it.
The NEED for items:
Remember when the countless hours you spent GMing magic resist was enough to stay alive? I do. Now, if you have GM resist, you will resist poison once in a blue moon. That's not cool.
Remember when nobody would go pvp with a vanq spear cuz it would cost them 50-100k? Well now, since there's insurance, you can expect that 50% dmg increase spear in your ass, asap please.
Remember when a warrior didn't need 30-60 intel. ?
Remember when mage battles were more skill? (let's not get all rowdy about con, most people didn't play mages when they had 33bps aol connection and PvP) Now winning against xxxl33tr0x0rxxx is more like, I spent another 10 hours at the champ spawn getting my 120 magery eval scrolls. or I spent another 24 million on powerscrolls! HEHEHEHEH!
Yeah..Like, warrior battles too. When you have 100 of your favorite skill and your enemy has 120, the chance they hit you is 30% higher than you hitting them. And look, a lot of you probably don't know htis, but from the time AoS went live to Pub18, the harrower's tenticles didn't do damage. So there were so many above GM guys that just went afk at that harrower.. Hell, my friend went 100-120 (anatomy/swords/tactics) in 3 days. Ok enough with that.
Skill gain.
Anything but warrior skills are crazy easy. Let's not get into that one, cuz I'm sure you dont want to know how great macroing is.
Back to items..
a dull copper runic (they go for liek 20k) could give you such an edge that you can win against any guy using gm armor/weps.
Powerscrolls:
Add AoS without powerscrolls, honestly, not half as bad. Powerscrolls RUINED UO. Maybe if there was a champion spawn like once a week then it wouldnt be so out of control, but there is guys with all their skills 120'd and that just own you cuz they can afford to do champ spawns 24/7 or to buy the scrolls. Things I think should have powerscrolls: Animal taming, animal lore, blacksmithy, tailoring, alchemy, tinkering, carpentry, inscribe, and fletching. (I know some of these aren't in OSI but they should get powerscrolls!) Anything PvP oriented, is terrible because it gives people such an edge, it's unfun.
Insurance:
I think it's good for aos, but any other releas,e it would be terrible.
Warrior Moves:
Bad move OSI! The way you had it before was good.
Like stun punches and disarm, they were good like they were, but why the hell would you stun for 30 mana when you can paralyze for like 9?
Now what I do like in previous releases:
I started June 2000 (UO:R) for real. I played when the game came out and I didn't like it cuz I couldn't kill a few zombies without being ganked by some l33t d00d and his cr3w.
But UO:R was great. I don't think mages owned warriors that badly. I mean if you were smart you would take your armor off to fight a mage, and carry a few potions for when he/she poisoned you. If you were stupid, then yes of course that mage with gm wrestling is going to smoke you.
Honestly, I think fencing is really unfair. The weapons do a lot of damage and are soo fast.
If I forgot anything, it's really late here. Har har..
The goth has spoken.

Extinction

Wanderer
Nothing could beat pre-UO:R!
The best thing for me was that Pre-UO:R was much simpler! One type of mount, one map, no "safe zones", there was so little to create and so little information so it made it an achievement to advance in crafting skills, everyone macro'ed by finding a quiet spot, the best tamers weren't lame (because it was so hard to get over 80 taming and dragons attacked almost EVERYTHING no matter what skill you had), scams were fun (cause there was barely any lamers who would bitch about it, most simply contemplated the fact they got scammed and continued with life), chaos/order shields could only be equipped by Lord's/Lady's (it was a common sight to see shields disappear because of the quicker fame depreciation), murderers were common (many were just waiting that 4 hours to lose their last count), house thieves (smart people always checked for them) and a lot more things.
Mages were not in fact "uber", they were just a lot easier to get good at. There were a fair few dexers who could withstand a ganking, because they knew how to play. Whatever you played you needed to know EXACTLY when to defend and when to attack. One mistake and you could be hitting the ground. PvP'ing was fast paced with the best only falling because they ran out of reagants.
PVP DID NOT RELY ON YOUR CONNECTION!
Most of the bugs around weren't too critical, most actually improved gameplay, eg. pre-casting. and most were used so often it was part of the game and not considered a "bug".

PvP is not the only reason I prefer pre-UO:R, it was easier for idiots to contemplate the game, therefore creating a more lamer-free environment.
Anyone else notice how people got along more in the earlier days?

Tear Cross

Wanderer
I voted for AoS,for one simple reason.
Ive generally player crafting oriented characters,pretty much since shortly after uo left beta stage,and I was impressed by the new styled resistances etc.Finally the days where everyone wanted the same(highest ar) materials are over.Combined with the BoD etc,AoS finally makes the game worth it for those that choose to play for the community value,and the joy of acting as a simple merchant.

just my 2 cents

Starky

Wanderer
Pre-UO:R for me. UO was much more simple and exciting back then, and since then OSI has changed too much and flushed it more and more down the toilet. Just my personal opinion...