RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What type of OSI-Clone do you prefer?

P

php-junkie

UO is exactly what OSI/EA intended it to be. A "FANTASY" role playing game. I'm not surprised AOS is in the lead after all people don't want pain and agony in their "FANTASY" lives. It's really sad that people want to get as far from reality as they possible can. To large a dose of reality might make a man suffer. Heaven forbid you have a little reality in your FANTASY lives.

I started playing UO because of the realism in the game. I stopped playing UO when that realism had been demolished.

Melkor Raven

Wanderer
what ive been wondering about, how come the biggest part of peoiple voted for AoS but 85% of this topic is made up of people listing htings wich suck about AoS...
the ones that vote for aos shoudl at least give us a reason why they ike it,
in any case it has already been decided that aos wont be used as far as ive heard.. thusfurther diskussion is probaly not worth it too much anymore

psz

Administrator
Because there are a LOT of people who read the threads but do not post.

Mainly because they don't want to be flamed by people who disagree with them *shrugs* Can't really say I blame them.

psz said:
Mainly because they don't want to be flamed by people who disagree with them *shrugs* Can't really say I blame them.

they shouldn't be worried about getting flamed by those who disagree. As the new much more strictly enforced say... No Flaming. Thats why i posted my Pro AoS stuff. I don't care, flame me all you want and like Ryan said..

Ryan said:
In essence and in short, game over. Dont make me have to make your screen grey and black with 'you are dead'.

Be nice or be gone its that simple

Kiwi

Knight
php-junkie said:
I started playing UO because of the realism in the game. I stopped playing UO when that realism had been demolished.

I started wanting to play UO when it was so much like my favorite game, Ultima 7. Of course that only lasted a short period of time and soon it was all over.

Fury

Wanderer
I voted for Aos.. my reasoning.. i like new things.. things get old to me and i quit playing them.. aos brought new toys to play with... as for people who talk about things being unbalanced for pvp.. sure they prolly are... i was around in osi beta days and balance was a joke then too.. itll come in time.. if you run a runuo shard that excuse doesnt work either because if you have any skills you would balance them yourselves.. well thats my opinion on it.. if you simply dont like the new stuff i understand that but things being unbalanced this early in its release is expected.

Dev Fury

X Myth

Wanderer
I suggest Pre-UOR. Though I like to PvP, but if runUO wants more RPers, and monsters fighters the other options might be better. Pre-UOR was by far the most intence and balanced system.

Though "Tank Mages" were the dominate Pvpers..... But everyone was capable of making a Tank Mage aka PvP Character. The way pvp was based on, is timing, thinking ahead, and combos. It took a brain to fight and not a stick and a connection.

UOR was all mage, sure it had some thinking aspect, but it was not near the mentality of pre-uor. Tank Mage you had to learn the way of warrior and mage, as UOR it was just mage. AoS and the other add ons I hear were based for mindless townies, dexers which would get 120 dex, anatomy and a magic blade and run around hitting till they killed someone.

I had a townie, dexer so I know both ways of the game. People like to say there is timing and skill within a townie.... but if you played a tank mage you'll notice the huge diffrence.

Also the good thing about tank mages was you didn't have to ping 50 to be good. Alot of good players pinged high 150+, this is where timing, thinking ahead and combos come in.

So if you're interested an intense pvp shard I would suggest Pre-UOR over all else. If you want an RP shard - PreUOR had alot of RP, but with all the new items and flashy circus stuff I would suggest AoS...... (But is more always better?)

Real challenge is with another person, not an AI.

Take care,

X Myth

photonIV

Wanderer
What OSI clone do i prefer hrmm lets c.... none
What kinda fuckin idiot makes a damn OSI clone..... Seriously =P
If you want to RP with no scripts just the basics y dont you all sign up for OSI =) sure its a bit of $$ per month but if ya got a job its really nothing at all just an easy payment of 12$ or u can go (legally) buy the game instead of dling it and get a code for an free month on OSI =O

Ok thats all =)

Melkor Raven

Wanderer
AoS isnt better for RP either... I do both RP and PvP
to me, in PvP the dexers are simply to strong with poerscrolls, wepons that dont drop out of their hands when they cast cure, heal, greater heal, or if a proper tankmage explo .. what ever..
anyhow... its simply to unballanced, and everyone whos for AoS is saying, in time itll be balanced, but I dont see much point in even thinking of wasiting till its balanced,
It was simply a lot funner before all the major changes in uo!
I would hate for Runuo to become a pure PvP shard thou, then might as well join blitz or reet...
do make sure to noto nly think about PvP...
AoS is simply good for workers who collect bods, if your conneciton is too slow for pvp youl most likely become a "hardcore" worker kinda player, then AoS is better, because you can get all these different hammers, and always need to get bods, might be exiting, i dont know never had one before, but for all otehr gameplay everyhting before AoS is better

Neon Prizm

Wanderer
Why do people vote for AOS clone? If you want aos you can just log in to OSI.

And why play AOS when you can play one of the other games EA tried to model UO after, like Everquest or Dark Age of Camelot. (Note the fact that wearing armor became a requirement, "uber drops" became a necessity, and all of your equipment stays with you upon death [unless you choose not to keep it]).

I vote for pre-UOR because the way fighting was back then was much more exciting. I don't see how anyone who calls themselves a pvp could want AOS. Publish 16 is at least a viable option because with poison block it made group fighting a lot more interesting, but duels became a poison-fest.

Neon Prizm said:
Why do people vote for AOS clone? If you want aos you can just log in to OSI.

Have you not read the threads by the Pro- AoS voters? More depth, something new, more variety in whats considered "good equipment", added strategy by including the importance of armor choice, finding and exploiting weaknesses in your enemies resistances...

No, you can't just log onto OSI if you want AoS, because OSI did not balance AoS changes enough and its not exactly fair, in many instances, especially in PvP.

Sorry but the days of running around w/ just regular gm armor and gm spear or just regular clothes got old... too predictable... too easy...

Requiem

Wanderer
Most of the uo style had good and bad in it, the only problem is that osi doesn't take away the bad and keep the good stuff at every release. They jump from a concept to an other, sometime it seam the concept was so poorly put on paper that they realise it only after the release. Lot of time they just had made cheap changes, as tram was, without even thinking of the concequences. Im sure that if osi was aware Aos would make Uo an equipment type of game as diablo, they would have made something else, who knows? I still have some respect to the dev team, after all these years. All those big releases, and concepts have made of UO a totally irrational world, where the background that should structure the game had just explode. This mix of the good old pre-uor, with a hard medieval world is mixed with commodity deed, ethy, crystal ball, bonded pets and neon colors everywhere, 8*8... Thats why i voted pre-uor, coz it was for me the moment where the concept of Sosoria was well tuned, for me its more important that bugs, player base and all that. I also loved Siege mainly for that and player base, the only shard that didn't give me the feeling im playing an industrial game.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
I'm with Outkast Dev here. I don't personally care what a shard uses. Each has their good and bad in my book. I probably like AOS the most due to the complete randomness of it all; nothing same-ole same-ole. If you are worried about mindless dexers, go for the high physical armors and cast protection before you enter battle; chances are, you'll win.

I didn't play OSI Pre-UOR but I've played a few shards that 'immitate' it. Kind of boring, hunting is useless, and most of them are basically full mages with Explode, Flamestrike ganks.

I didn't play OSI till UOR. About 3 years ago (??) it was fun, awesome, new, original (to me, hell it was my first MMORPG), but wow, that was FOUR years ago. It got old. Didn't enjoy hunting, even PvP got a little stale now and then.

Seige Perilous. I watched my brother play it. The only thing I didn't like about it was how many people are murderers. I don't mind murderers, but for the love of God, let the 25 str newbie kill a skeleton, please? Carrying on...

AOS, mostly for it. Custom Housing, hell yes. That might sound Trammie, but decorating happens to be one of my top 5 things to do on UO. Special Weapon abilities, most of them are alright and well balanced. Some with some tweaking would be exciting! The resistances, painfully annoying to get a just right set of armor that won't hinder you in battle, but it's not *that* bad. The only thing I'd say get rid of completely is INSURANCE! Lamest idea ever. This is a PvP game, because you go out and stake something when you throw down the guantlet and retaliate. Take out luck and AOS is win.

I don't even remember what else is up there. Pub16? Don't know which pub is which, so whatever.

PS: I don't remember what I voted for, probably wasn't even AOS.

habitat85

Wanderer
PerfectWing said:
I don't even remember what else is up there. Pub16? Don't know which pub is which, so whatever.

Pub 16 was the one that screwed tamers, added the followers. So tamers couldnt use 12 WW's and go dominate a spawn :?

I voted for AoS But in all honesty I miss old pvp around or before Pub 16 before the fast cast item BS was added in, and you could no longer cast first spell and hold second spell macro key down while targeting. And I miss old Theif days, now everything is insured, they pretty much forced theives to leave fel and go camp Doom rares blah boring..

My theif used to be my funnest char, disarming people and stealing before their UOA arm macro could rearm then they would run to bank get more weapon "rinse repeat", used to piss a lot of people off but it was a lot of fun. OSI has managed to ruin everyone of my chars that were fun at one time, now I find OSI UO boring, and RunUO Fun :)

Now thinking about it I dont know why I picked AoS

Thanks guys for creating RunUO!

Neon Prizm

Wanderer
The Outkast Dev - You call it strategy when people are required to kill monsters all day long in order to get equipment that will keep them from dying in a combo? Finding their weakness basically means you combo them, and if they dont die then they have good armor... Running around with GM made weapons and armor or regular clothes has nothing to do with fighting. The thing that made UO different from other games was the fact that it took PLAYER SKILL rather than game mechanics to determine the outcome of a fight. If you want to have a contest of uber loots play Dark Age of Camelot. You can spend 3/4 of your day every day looking for the super weapon, and once you get it you can go out and "find weaknesses" in your enemies. UO has become trash. Some kid goes on ebay and buys the latest and greatest armor from the trammies that farm that stuff and then he can take on entire armies by himself without doing anything special save hitting his bandage self macro. I liked the fact that in UO you could run around completely nekad, carrying 25 of each regs and go own some people with your skill alone. Knowing when to cast a spell, when to attack, which spell to cast etc was 9/10 of the fight. Granted, I am biased on the subject.. I don't think warriors = skill, click and follow is not skill. But EA made it so that there is no skill in fighting required. You don't like EA AOS, and yet you want to clone it so that you can alter it to your liking. I don't see what you would balance out, you seem to like the fact that the person with the best armor = the person that wins every time.

PerfectWing

Wanderer
Some kid goes on ebay and buys the latest and greatest armor from the trammies that farm that stuff and then he can take on entire armies by himself without doing anything special save hitting his bandage self macro.
you seem to like the fact that the person with the best armor = the person that wins every time.

Exaggerating your 'points' to make them isn't a good idea in a debate.

Finding their weakness basically means you combo them, and if they dont die then they have good armor...
Gee, and you wonder why you can't kill people in AOS? You can't seriously tell OutkastDev that his idea of strategy is flawed, when your idea of finding a weakness is barraging them until they die. Hahaha, this is too much.

L

Lost User

I will not piss off alkiser anymore...

*edited by Alkiser*

I liked the fact that in UO you could run around completely nekad, carrying 25 of each regs and go own some people with your skill alone.

Skill? What skill is involved in uber conn, and spamming your F - key macros and last target macro until you have no mana, are at half life *RUN NOW! UBER CONN VERY IMPORTANT*, or the SOB ur fighting is dead...

WoWzErS, thats stuper duper L337 skill right there...