RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your Connection Speed

Seven

Sorceror
Your Connection Speed

I am just wondering what everyones connection speed is here. Please let us know!:

Run a test from either of the following locations:

- http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest

Once the test is fully completed please take a snapshot of your results and post them.

Here is mine that I ran on centurytel.net which is my ISP.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
2005-07-15 03:03:09 EST: 2755 / 710
Your download speed : 2821502 bps, or 2755 kbps.
A 344.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 728022 bps, or 710 kbps.

Seven

Sorceror
DontdroptheSOAD said:

HAHAHHAHA I Wish they were my provider.

I saw that too :p

Where I currently live there is no CABLE lines anywhere near my house. This will mean for me if I continue to live here, I will never be able to get Cable.

From a website I also saw they showed the stats for Q1 of 2005. It showed that most people in North America and Europe use DSL however.

Most of the time Cable is a better service, but for my friends it isn't. I go faster than them on DSL. This is probably* because there cable line is shared by many households next to them.

Wikipedia
Digital Subscriber Line, or DSL, is a family of technologies that provide a digital connection over the copper wires of the local telephone network. Its origin dates back to 1988, when an engineer at Bell Labs devised a way to carry a digital signal over the unused frequency spectrum. This allows an ordinary phone line to provide digital communication without blocking access to voice services. Bell's management, however, were not enthusiastic about it, as it was not as profitable as renting out a second line for those consumers who preferred to still have access to the phone when dialing out. This changed in the late 1990s when cable companies started marketing broadband Internet access. Realising that most consumers would prefer broadband Internet to a second dial out line, Bell companies rushed out the DSL technology that they had been sitting on for the past decade as an attempt to slow broadband Internet access uptake, to win market share against the cable companies.

As of 2005, DSL provides the principal competition to cable modems for providing high speed Internet access to home consumers in Europe and North America; although on average, cable is much faster than DSL in most commercial situations. Older ADSL standards could deliver 8Mbps over about one mile of copper wire. The latest standard ADSL2+ can deliver over 20Mbps per user over similar distances. However many copper lines are longer than one mile reducing the amount of bandwidth that can be transmitted. Modern cable systems, on the other hand, can provide 30Mbps downstream, but this bandwidth is shared between all the users on the cable segment (which could be 100 to 200 households). However none of this matters if the core network is not dimensioned to handle all this bandwidth, and it usually isn't. By the way, as of Q1 2005, the number of DSL subscribers marginally exceeded the number of cable broadband subscribes in the US (according to www.broadbandtrends.com )

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
I wonder why cables upload sucks such bad nuts :/

They actually have cable like 1 mile from my house but it is not available in my town.

Seven

Sorceror
DontdroptheSOAD said:
I wonder why cables upload sucks such bad nuts :/

They actually have cable like 1 mile from my house but it is not available in my town.

I"m actully lucky. One of my friends lives 10-15 miles away from me. He can't get DSL ^.^

Seven

Sorceror
DontdroptheSOAD said:
When i first moved here 2years ago +- there was no dsl only dial up.

OMG! That was the same for me... but I have lived here for ever (since I was born)
I think it was sometime in 2003 they got ADSL out to us.