RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2D Client Item and Spell hotbars for RunUO 2.0 or 2.1

Jeff

Lord
I like how all the ideas Vorspire has brought to the table, were already explained prior to him saying it, yet this guy completely gives credit to him... amazing...

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Eh, don't really care about credit. It's just help.

Just makes you feel like this person doesn't really pay attention and completely ignores or skips over entire posts. Which makes it sorta hard to help someone. These people are easy to spot when you have to explain the same exact thing, twice. =P

tass23

Page
Yeah, similar concept. I liked the idea of just using the XML Sockets to fill the container with spells from the spellbook, but since I can't get it to install, I'll have to do everything through gumps.

I didn't completely give him credit. I understood what James was saying, however, what Vorsp suggested would only have required one gump, that's what I was hoping for. I'm back to James' idea now working with at least two gumps, maybe three.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
The box of which I spoke of is part of the package, it pretty much runs the gump...opens and changes it each time you put new stuff in it. Just look at the script it's self...why do you need the entire system to look at the single file for what you need?

It will be one gump, driven by a container. But the gump will constantly need to be updated and changed pretty much.

tass23

Page
Yeah, you're right James, I don't have to install the whole system. I was looking at the script a bit last night, I'll poke around some more later today and see what I can come up with. One question, or snag I thought of though:
In order to cast a spell, it must be in a spellbook in your main backpack. Would the spellbook be considered a container? I verified that if I moved my spellbook into a bag inside my backpack, I couldn't cast those spells any longer. I guess the other way around this would be to have say all 64 spell scrolls in a bag inside one's backpack, but that would get a tad tiresome having to refill them all the time.

Pure Insanity

Sorceror
Erm...yeah, I guess the spellbooks would count as a dropable item since you can drop spells into the book. Just not sure how much they would differ from an actual container from a box. Starting from a spell book may make things easier, or harder. You could attempt to make the gump work via the spellbook...but I imagine someone would of tried something like this with one of the existing spellbooks by now.

Also if you did a bag of spells, you wouldn't make it have to consume the spells if you didn't want it to. You could try and use something such as the universal storage keys (mod one to hold the spells, even multiple ones.) And have the gump/toolbar get the list of available spells from it. There are so many ways of doing it, there's no wrong way to do it. Unless of course your way leads to it not working at all...

Btw, you can actually make any item allow items to be dropped onto it. It requires editing the flags in the tile file. So you'd need to do a client side edit and patch it to your players for it to also work for them. Since all flags (wearable,impassible,ect) on items are client side, you can't create a script that allows you to drop spells onto a rock. Although you can use a program such as Mul Patcher or UOFiddler to edit the files to do something like this.

tass23

Page
I've seen the spellbooks used to drive the gump for the spell hotbar, no additional scrolls or another container. I've got the Universal Storage Keys installed and I'm working on creating a key for ore. I think I've got too many pots burning on my stove. The storage key might be the way to go since it doesn't weigh near what carrying all those scrolls loose in a bag would. I suppose to make it more "behind the scenes" for the players I could set the key to invisible and issue one to all new characters.

Vorspire

Knight
I like how all the ideas Vorspire has brought to the table, were already explained prior to him saying it, yet this guy completely gives credit to him... amazing...

My explanation didn't take 2 posts to get the point across and was easy enough to understand at a mere single sentence...
You could use a special container that would allow players to drop spell scrolls into it to add their spells to the gump, or remove them by taking the scrolls out.. that way you don't need to make a back-end gump for adding/removing.

...which had nothing to do with keeping the container inaccessible like James420 suggested...
You could make it sorta drag and drop. Make the gump container driven. But not open-able as a container. Sorta like what you mentioned, but gump driven too. I suggest looking into the transmodifcation (or w/e it's called) box in the socket system as an idea of how to do it.

...and was never proposed to circumvent that theory, since there are no references to accessibility for the container in their following post...
It's a box that lets people create/mod items by matching the right recipes up in the box. It allows one to add stuff to the container, and then displays it's info in this gump that it opens. You could make a similar container that held the actual spells. Then make a gump that is driven by the container. It would know which spells the player had by checking the container for the spells that are in it.

The box which I speak of is part of the XML Sockets system here in the releases section. It should be a good starting base to get some ideas on where to start with your creation.

...therefor, under logical conclusion, my idea was not what he explained over 2 posts, indeed `similar` in some aspects but the concepts were different altogether, ultimately making the following post moot;
That's pretty much what I explained in my past two posts...

Anyway, here's something I was working on a ong time ago for a RunUO 2.0 shard, it should be working, but I don't think I ever got all the bugs out of it.
It's a container that specifically handles player pets/creatures and stores them in a library style system of containers.
Unless you install the Extended Localizer package, this script will create errors.
I'm not trying to provide you with a working solution, but a possible insight into how you can accomplish your goal.

It does feature a really cool gump design, enjoy.

>>> PetChest.rar as attached.

Attachments

• PetChest.rar
    7 KB · Views: 18

Bodhbh Dearg

Traveler
Hey there... any progress in this project? I'm interested in this as well, but before I'd even try something like this, I wanted to see what's out there already...

tass23

Page
There's nothing on RunUO like this and I haven't had time to tackle it myself as I may, or may not be running my own project, have classes to attend, am a single parent, or just generallay letting life take over. Sorry :(

wlrdwawoolard

Sorceror
it is fine if you can submit what you have and see if i or anyone can take over this project. i know sometime in the past that clients where going to have hotbars but they abandon there projects and never released it like promised but i would be more then happy to get this done not just for me but everyone as well.

tass23

Page
I'll see if I can at least finish up the gump design and put the GumpStudio file up here.

Actually, I've been thinking about this, someone could probably convert the KR spell hotbars for RunUO.

tass23

Page
well, the snag here is getting the hotbar recognized as a spell holder. I had a helluva time getting the system to detect I had the spellbooks inside a bag in my backpack, instead of just in my backpack. But, that's sort of a step in the right direction. The hotbar is just another "bag" to hold the spellbooks. I was kind of imagining, and maybe this is just over-complicating things, a system where a spellbook would have it's own hotbar and you could click the spellbook to expand the bar to show all the spells. When you cast a spell, the hotbar collapses back down to the spellbook again. Of course my thinking is going beyond my gump making abilities, not too mention my coding abilities lol

wlrdwawoolard

Sorceror
or could keep it simple to keep your coding abilities straight one like you can put any item in the hotbar like wow does. like a shortcut bar put bags and badages and etc think this can be done??? it will also beable to carry one or more bags on a paperdoll but can keep the set of stones and it will cause more orginization to uo as well.

tass23

Page
I think an item hotbar will be lots easier actually. The catch with the spell hotbar is going to be getting the system to recognize the spells in the hotbar. There are gumps that you can cast spells from, I might be able to alter one and post it to give us an idea of where this can go from here. Let me see if I can get it re-worked and posted by this weekend.

Nockar

Sorceror
Not sure if anyone has mentioend this... but what might work is doing it like this is done. If you have XML Quests installed there is a file called XmlQuestBook.cs its a book that you can drop quest book onto and they get added (as a item) to a backpack. When you db-click the questbook it bring up a gump that dynamically changes....

Maybe, drop scroll into the item and when you db click hte item a gump opens and the spell gump buttons get added... Or soemthing like that.