RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcing GemUO, a new RunUO branch supporting enhanced client!

A spade is but a spade is but a spade.

The guy comes in with

"and unlike RunUO's native distribution, will strive to keep up with the latest client releases"

Then he "forgets" to include credit to Peoharen (who I personally don't like, but do respect his efforts and feel he should be given credit)

Then, when other people (read: not me (of course to Vorspire, I'm always the bad guy) question both his motives and the usability of the release, he threatens to "close source" his project, as if he feels its something so awesome we just can't do without it.

Then he alternates playing dumb about the meaning of closed source, and playing victim of some sort of legal action.

Alls I'm saying is that these are not the actions of someone who just wants to give something to the community. I call 'em as I see 'em.

And this is the second person who's done this in less than a week, as mitty pointed out.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;834727 said:
A spade is but a spade is but a spade.

The guy comes in with

"and unlike RunUO's native distribution, will strive to keep up with the latest client releases"

Then he "forgets" to include credit to Peoharen (who I personally don't like, but do respect his efforts and feel he should be given credit)

Then, when other people (read: not me (of course to Vorspire, I'm always the bad guy) question both his motives and the usability of the release, he threatens to "close source" his project, as if he feels its something so awesome we just can't do without it.

Then he alternates playing dumb about the meaning of closed source, and playing victim of some sort of legal action.

Alls I'm saying is that these are not the actions of someone who just wants to give something to the community. I call 'em as I see 'em.

And this is the second person who's done this in less than a week, as mitty pointed out.

I uploaded an old build. If you looked at the source tree you'd see there's massive differences and credit is now given. I also changed the wording out of respect for RunUO, even though I still honestly can't see the issue. If you want to call that antagonistic, then honestly, you're looking for it to be honest.

And I never threatened to close source the project, I offered. Do you even read what you quote?

and playing victim of some sort of legal action

You really don't read what you quote, do you? And when you do, you put your own meanings in. I said you were making me "feel" like a criminal. Seriously dude, now I see why everyone ignores you.

I'm thinking I agree with the above poster, and I'm going to join that list. If you can't believe in my intentions, that's your problem not mine. It seems you have an allergy to forks anyway. If he ever asks anything coherent, someone please repost it for me.

peace.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Soulmancer;835246 said:
So just wondering, this will allow runUO to support the enhanced client? Does it enable to SA map as well?

The SA support is mostly incomplete, so I wouldn't bet on anything. I highly reccomend replacing the scripts in actuality as they are signifigantly buggy (with the exception of the ones mentioned in a text document in the binary archives, they must stay). It does however flawlessly support the Enhanced Client, yes.

Soulmancer

Sorceror
Hey RTP ... Your enhanced client support seem to have the exact fix I am looking for... While I intend to use the most recent RunUO SVL ML + SA package for the SA support... I tested your GemUO and it seemed to correct a lot of the issues I've been trying to get help with for Enhanced client support.

1.) I was able to actually create a new character!
2.) Backpack was working fine!
3.) NPC's no longer had "MISSING STRINGS"
4.) The macro bar is functioning
5.) NPC shop keepers actually have their proper goods

I'm stoked to find this out... What scripts or data was used to fix these issues so I can utilize them with the SVL ML + SA package... This is great stuff, good work R-T-B ... I can't use the GemUO pack by itself as I need SA support and the SA map, but your fixes for the enhanced client are exactly what I'm looking for. How may I integrate these fixes?

Thanks!!! :D

R-T-B

Wanderer
I'm actually in progress of documenting the core changes, there are several and that's where most of it is contained. If you download the binary package the few scripts I touched are recorded actually, and most have region markers. I'll repost that document here:

PlayerMobile.cs (map support)
CharacterCreation.cs (for face support)
Party.cs (map support)
DeclineTimer.cs (map support)
RaceDefinitions.cs (for face support)

You'll need to winmerge these files and preserve my custom code, or face support/map support will break. You can probably winmerge them with the latest RunUO scripts since it is based on SVN, and it'll interpet them fine. Likewise, you should be able to drag and drop the data files.

Glad to see my little project has found a home. :)

Soulmancer

Sorceror
Yah, very interested in your project as I definatly want to use full enhanced client support for my shard project but I am also dependant on the SVN ML + SA package for the Stygian Abyss map... I attempted what you suggested. I downloaded win merge and merged those 5 custom scripts of GemUO into the RunUO SVN ML + SA scripts and saved them, it didn't work however. when I try and start up RunUO it gives me a few error in regards to Mobiles/PlayerMobiles.cs and the server wont start... Any ideas?

R-T-B

Wanderer
EDIT: Oh, I may have misunderstood. You need to winmerge the RunUO scripts into the GemUO, not the GemUO scripts into the RunUO SVN. That won't do at all as so much is held in the core of GemUO that I'm only begining to document it... I'd help more, but as I said I'm in a bit of a conflict of interest with another shard. It'd be diffilcult for me to help you without using my risidual knowledge from my collegues work. As such, the best I can recomend is to do this:

Winmerge just about everything in the core prior to compiling, make sure to check each file. This will be time consuming but will keep my changes until I document them.

Then put in all RunUO scripts, and winmerge only the ones in that text document.

The core files you need to be particularly careful about are as follows:

/Network/PacketHandlers.cs
/Network/Packets.cs
/Network/MessagePump.cs
/Network/Netstate.cs

But really just be careful with everything, as it far exceeds that in terms of changes. It IS based on latest SVN though so at the very least some files should be identical. I just don't know which ones.

Soulmancer

Sorceror
Wow, I'm thinkin this might be above my current skill level. I am fairly new at this. I kinda figured this would be a fairly easy fix to simply integrate the enhanced client fixes into the SVN, but I'm really not sure how to do what you're suggesting. it's a shame you n Mitty aren't working together and colaberating given that both of you are both working toward relatively similar goals... He wants to support SA with the latest SVN and you want to support the enhanced client with the latest SVN. The two seem like they would go hand and hand, but now I'm faced with a dilema...

I really want SA support mainly for the map and monsters/npcs but I also really want the enhanced client to work and intergrating the two seems very complex by the sounds of it :( Everything I've tried thus far results in RunUO not even starting.

Tartaros

Wanderer
btw. is there a documentation somewhere that would describe the differences between the client/expansion generations, preferably from both players and emu/sharddeveloper points of view?
or at least a partial one...

My own shard is pre-aos (regarding UO technology, otherwise it's heavily modified so it's almost a different game) so I kind of lost track where's UO heading these days (these days = last ~6 years :D )

R-T-B

Wanderer
Soulmancer;835757 said:
Wow, I'm thinkin this might be above my current skill level. I am fairly new at this. I kinda figured this would be a fairly easy fix to simply integrate the enhanced client fixes into the SVN, but I'm really not sure how to do what you're suggesting. it's a shame you n Mitty aren't working together and colaberating given that both of you are both working toward relatively similar goals... He wants to support SA with the latest SVN and you want to support the enhanced client with the latest SVN. The two seem like they would go hand and hand, but now I'm faced with a dilema...

I really want SA support mainly for the map and monsters/npcs but I also really want the enhanced client to work and intergrating the two seems very complex by the sounds of it :( Everything I've tried thus far results in RunUO not even starting.

Mitty's welcome to become a developer on my google code project and fully update the code, that'd be awesome. I just can't work directly on it anymore outside the core issues due to the conflict of interest I mentioned earlier. :(

Tell him to email or PM me here if he's interested.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Actually, I haven't looked at mitty or peohera's work in quite some time. If you could provide me to a link with the SVN I want, I suppose I could do one mindless integration. Mind you I won't fix any of the bugs with it as I'll be tempted to... But I could integrate it for you.

Let me know.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Nvm, I found it. My SVN will be updated with Mitty's work soon. Mitty's welcome to pillage my work as well, he has my thanks and I'm sorry to see he will no longer be working on this project. I wish him luck with his shard.

R-T-B

Wanderer
SoulMancer, what you want should be going up now. Best of luck!

It spits some errors out into the console about some invalid items. If anyone has any idea as to why that is, I'd be most appreciative to learn. As of now I can't see it effecting anything, but I haven't used it extensively either, so be warned!

Soulmancer

Sorceror
Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time to do this!

I fired it up it seems to work pretty much fine except for one thing!

1.) Which SVN did you use? For instance I can access the new SA world map, but unlike the current SVN SA + ML pack I was using prior, none of the "teleport tiles" are functioning, so links between any SA related zones/dungeons are not functioning in this pack, although the maps are all there. Any idea why this is occuring?

Did you integrate this SVN into your own?

http://www.orbsydia.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68

RunUO latest ML + SA svn://www.shatteredsosaria.com/Stygian Abyss M

Or did you use a different one? such as the latest "stable" ML version...

2.) Are their any known major bugs I should be on the lookout for?

3.) May I inquire about the conflict of interest? I am assuming you are currently dedicated to a fairly exclusive shard project

R-T-B

Wanderer
Try redownloading, I changed some minor things, may or may not have fixed tile issues. I'll look at it when I get home... I'm on mobile phone.

Soulmancer

Sorceror
Yup, re-downloaded it, same thing. Kinda odd, for example if you use the command

[Go Abyss ... It'll take you to the new underworld dungeon on the SA map, but none of the stairs and zone connecting passages are fuctioning... when using the SVL ML + SA as an admin, all the passage ways were marked with chaos shield icons on the ground to mark the teleportation tiles. However with the GemUO, all of these warp tiles are missing... Everything else though so far seems to look n work good though!

EDIT:

Ok, a couple more things, I used the admin: world builder: spawn teleports... This seemed to work somewhat... SA did have teleportation icons/tiles, but they were not the same as the SVL ML + SA pack i was testing, and they also seemed glitched... At the entrance of the abyss, this can be tested. Also the graphics for moongates seemed to be missing!

And after using the admin : world builder to spawn everything, doors, decorations, npcs, teleporters, etc and save the world... I am no longer able to start GemUO, goes through a bunch of stuff and then says This exception is a fatal error.