RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Announcing GemUO, a new RunUO branch supporting enhanced client!

R-T-B

Wanderer
Announcing GemUO, a new RunUO branch supporting enhanced client!

Name says it all, more can be found out on google code:

gemuo - Project Hosting on Google Code

Looking for contributors. Also, basic SA support is in (you can play as a gargoyle), but I don't know how well this works yet.

It also supports custom faces, KR client, party map support, and more.

This is based on the Genova Project merged with latest RunUO svn, and includes a lot of that code. It is designed to replace it.

Hope it proves useful,

-R-T-B

gemuo - Project Hosting on Google Code

Jeff

Lord
GoogleCodeProject said:
and unlike RunUO's native distribution, will strive to keep up with the latest client releases

Sounds like you are being a dick. To be honest, the RunUO Team openly said we would not be supporting SA or the Enhanced client....

R-T-B

Wanderer
Jeff;834418 said:
Sounds like you are being a dick. To be honest, the RunUO Team openly said we would not be supporting SA or the Enhanced client....

My appologies, would you like me to change the wording? I'm just trying to advertise my feature set, I mean no harm by it. I love RunUO, just taking a different direction. :)

I'm no legal expert, but isn't this fully compliant with your rules and the GPL v2? If not feel free to remove this thread.

Jeff

Lord
It's completely legal in every way, I was just pointing out the wording sounded a bit hostile. Good luck with your project ;)

R-T-B

Wanderer
Jeff;834431 said:
It's completely legal in every way, I was just pointing out the wording sounded a bit hostile. Good luck with your project ;)

I've changed the wording, did not mean to sound hostile. :)

Thilgon

Sorceror
R-T-B;834410 said:
Looking for contributors. Also, basic SA support is in (you can play as a gargoyle), but I don't know how well this works yet.

It also supports custom faces, KR client, party map support, and more.

This is based on the Genova Project merged with latest RunUO svn, and includes a lot of that code. It is designed to replace it.

As i always do, i checked this project.
This is my first impression...

1) You are NOT using latest svn.
2) You took Peoharen's SA project, and you didn't give any credit to him.
3) Not only you took Peo's code without giving him any credit, but you also did it wrong lol.

In conclusion, this project is good in it's intentions, but first of all, you should give credits to who deserves them (and from who you took the code without asking permission), and after that you should at least TEST what you took, since if you investigated a little, you'll know that that code is bugged. (And your version, older, is A LOT more bugged)

R-T-B

Wanderer
Really? Wow, I think I must've uploaded the wrong build. Not only did I do that, but I did it without uploading the credits!

Man, I feel like a moron. Standby, this'll be fixed as soon as I get home. I didn't lie, just made a big error with the initial uploads.

Watch this space later today. In the meantime please do not download unless you want some possilby unforseen issues.

PS: The gargoyle support is from Peoharen's, but it should have contained a "CREDITS" file crediting him. And your right, it's buggy as heck, but if you know of a better version with better support I'm all ears.

At least I got female horns working right in my latest. :)

R-T-B

Wanderer
I uploaded a version from my phone, probably the latest but no way to tell until I get home... let me know. Also gave appropriate credit. Thanks for pointing those issues out!

I might also remind all users that SA is in it's infancy, as noted above.

R-T-B

Wanderer
lol, updated a build from my phone that wouldn't even compile...

I'm at home now and have the proper build. It's based on SVN, just like I said.

I've also removed the binaries of the old build because they contained some propietary work.

Sorry for the mistake.

EDIT: I found my first bug. When adding a KR client to a SA party, it crashes server. Working on it.

mitty

Sorceror
Ok checked this out and...

I just went to your download site and opened the rar and had a looksie inside. This is not even close to either Peo's SVN or my version SA/ML we have for grabbing over on Orb. You don't have any of the new housing info installed (which is wacked right now anyway). I'm just trying to say, this is a pre-mature release of something that isn't close to being usable by shards. I'm also very familiar with the Genova product they abandoned awhile back. Kudo's for the effort, but your like the second person to grab info from Orb, not read the forums over there to see what/where the project is at, and then turn it into something else. That's fine and good job on the effort, but at least give credit to the creator, get your info right, know what your dealing with and it's content, then post something. I agree with Jeff, the wording sounded at first like you were being *in your face like* to RUN UO. I respect the fact they have said all along they are not supporting SA, and so we respected that and moved to Orbsydia. So in close why don't you contact Peo or myself, and join the project team over there, and bring the project further along? TY for everyones time. :D

R-T-B

Wanderer
mitty;834593 said:
I just went to your download site and opened the rar and had a looksie inside. This is not even close to either Peo's SVN or my version SA/ML we have for grabbing over on Orb. You don't have any of the new housing info installed (which is wacked right now anyway). I'm just trying to say, this is a pre-mature release of something that isn't close to being usable by shards. I'm also very familiar with the Genova product they abandoned awhile back. Kudo's for the effort, but your like the second person to grab info from Orb, not read the forums over there to see what/where the project is at, and then turn it into something else. That's fine and good job on the effort, but at least give credit to the creator, get your info right, know what your dealing with and it's content, then post something. I agree with Jeff, the wording sounded at first like you were being *in your face like* to RUN UO. I respect the fact they have said all along they are not supporting SA, and so we respected that and moved to Orbsydia. So in close why don't you contact Peo or myself, and join the project team over there, and bring the project further along? TY for everyones time. :D

The gargoyle support I never claimed to be anything but basic. I only claimed enhanced client support.

this is a pre-mature release of something that isn't close to being usable by shards

On the contrary, it's very usable. It just doesn't support SA at the moment beyond basically creating a race as a gargoyle. If you'll note, I said that in the first post. I'd actually recomend editing the scripts prior to use, as the core (and a few associated support scripts, noted in a text file) is the only really production level thing

Furthermore, the primary changes to this are in the core, I barely touched the scripts and don't intend to actually as I have a conflict of interests at the moment. I've started working for another shard and I've been exposed to enough closed-reasearch stygian abyss information as so I could not work on those scripts anymore without possibly using some of my residual knowledge. You're welcome to join the project and work on the external scripts or even the core, but I can't possibly work on SA itself anymore as I know too much stuff that my shard admin wouldn't like me just leaking out. It was part of the agreement when I joined.

Looking at my description, it seems I have not made this clear. I edited to clarify, and just FYI, credit has been given now. I so appologize for the misunderstanding. As I understand it, the GPL allows me to create a deriviative work from your source, provided I credit you. That has now been done.

If this is still upsetting to some members, I suppose I could always remove my project and close-source the thing. This isn't a threat just an offer.

cheers.

R-T-B;834599 said:
If this is still upsetting to some members, I suppose I could always remove my project and close-source the thing. This isn't a threat just an offer.

cheers.

No you can't. Works based on a GPL project must remain GPL compatible. That involves including the source and credits if binaries are released.

Your intentions are becoming clearer and clearer.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;834607 said:
No you can't. Works based on a GPL project must remain GPL compatible. That involves including the source and credits if binaries are released.

Your intentions are becoming clearer and clearer.

Wow dude, I meant pull the binaries and the source alltogether, which is compliant.

I really would like to know what intentions you are talking about? I've done nothing but give here, when I could have kept it to myself. It was an offer to the creators of the SA content and RunUO in general to protect their intellectual property. Please don't take it as anything else.

What the heck can I do to clear my name here? You guys are making me feel like a criminal when all I tried to do is share.

Sythen

Sorceror
Reminds me of a few famous saying I've heard time and time again :rolleyes:... "its not what you say, its how you phrase it that will determine how others will react to you".... "don't count your chickens before they're hatched!"... ;)

Don't take it personal; people can't read emotions off words typed on a forum board, so sometimes things can be misinterpreted more often than not.

Whether legal or not legal, ethical or not ethical, I think the jist of what Anti-Basic was saying is that its not right to take someone else's hard work and effort and offer/ask to close source it. Its like taking a book someone else wrote and stamping your name on it where the authors name should be.

From my own standpoint, I only want SA for the graphic slots, the gargoyle race, and the 6th map. I've been hesitant because the last time I made the edits Peoharen suggested (close to when he launched his sources) I tried to polymorph into a serpent and became a gargoyle chest plate; kinda made me rethink. LOL.

Saving face?! hmmm... imvho just let the thread die out and move on. Unless ofcourse you try to get with Peoharen and help him and the others who are working on this project. Might be the least stressful of all your options at the moment. :)

R-T-B

Wanderer
Whether legal or not legal, ethical or not ethical, I think the jist of what Anti-Basic was saying is that its not right to take someone else's hard work and effort and offer/ask to close source it. Its like taking a book someone else wrote and stamping your name on it where the authors name should be.

You guys have it all wrong... I only meant I'd "close the book" on it if peoharen asked. And by "closed-source" I meant as in "completely off the face of the web" It's not like the binaries can't be decompiled easily anyways.

Also SA support is not this project's objective, nor will it continue to be pursued for the reasons listed above (unless someone else wants to pick it up, more than welcome). The goal is flawless support for any client the person choses.

The SA support is really like 1% of the work, considering it was pretty much admitedly copy and paste. The rest was much harder, and I'd like someone here to recognize it for what it is, not for the 1 little feature that has everyone in a hissy fit.

Sorry, I just can't say this much nicer.

Sythen

Sorceror
piece of advice contradictory to what the devilish side of me thinks.... :D can't put weight on peoples opinions; all of us have them just like we all have buttholes. You have a good idea, great intentions, roll with it.

don't quit... work on this project, develop it, and when it evolves support for it will follow :) ;)

R-T-B;834617 said:
Wow dude, I meant pull the binaries and the source alltogether, which is compliant.

I really would like to know what intentions you are talking about? I've done nothing but give here, when I could have kept it to myself. It was an offer to the creators of the SA content and RunUO in general to protect their intellectual property. Please don't take it as anything else.

What the heck can I do to clear my name here? You guys are making me feel like a criminal when all I tried to do is share.

No one's accused you of being a criminal or anything of the sort.

From the start your attitude has been antagonistic.

It is also becoming more and more obvious that you are less concerned with giving something to the community and more concerned with being recognized for it.

R-T-B

Wanderer
Antibasic, based on the comments above I really don't see how anything I said could be considered antagonistic, I've been more than responsive to every demand for rewording and appolgetic to every mistake.. Actually, I don't want recognition (though what the heck would be wrong with it if I did?). I just thought I could help some people. Which is precisely why I haven't taken this down despite the fact that all I've gotten is negative feedback... I'd like to believe that's just a noisy few. But if you really want to believe that go right ahead... I know you've had some bad experiences with Wyatt and such but I'm not him, so please just back off a bit.

No one's accused you of being a criminal or anything of the sort.

No, you just told me I'd be violating the GPL, big difference I know... I thought (maybe I was wrong) it was pretty apparent what I meant when I said "this is not a threat, only an offer."

I'd like a fresh start, fair enough?

Hi, I'm Ray. I made this server mod. Anyone care to try it? It's appropriately credited and up to SVN release, and it's primary feature is enhanced client support. The SA support is experimental, not up to date, and won't be updated either, but comes from Obsydia if anyone is interested in updating it.

Thanks.

Vorspire

Knight
Good aspirations, don't let people get you down.

Ignore AB, most everyone else does anyway... He hasn't been the same since they closed Starbucks xD