RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Athiests will enjoy this

Slayer706

Sorceror
Ummmm, without labels the modern world would be unable to function. It is in our nature to categorize. That is how we think. The word "Human" is a label. The word "internet" is a label. Every noun is a label.

Humans think in a similar way to C# to use an analogy. Everything is a class, method, or function of something else. A bird is an abstract class, because an object "bird" does not exist. A sparrow is a subclass of the class bird and is no longer abstract because it fills in the missing details. The words "bird", "sparrow", "class", "method", "function", and "C#" are all labels.... Try thinking without using labels.

Kiwi

Knight
Now look what I've done. I'm not even sure how because I have no idea what the hell I'm posting in this topic.

So how about that video eh?

Slayer706

Sorceror
Lol, if we were all alike from the start, we would never have known it was better to be different :p.
How do you know it is better to be different if you have never experienced how it would be if everyone was alike?

Radwen

Wanderer
I think we the only way to be safe is to be agnostic. I tend more towards atheism than any belief that there is a god, but I cannot deny that god could exist in 1000 different forms and we have no way to know or prove it (except for some, drugs and schizophrenia does it .. :rolleyes: ).

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
I disagree kiwi, like dawkins said. Saying "there is a god" is basically saying "I give up" and I don't want to try to find out the truth.

Kiwi

Knight
DontdroptheSOAD said:
I disagree kiwi, like dawkins said. Saying "there is a god" is basically saying "I give up" and I don't want to try to find out the truth.

Saying "there is no god" is the same thing, once you firmly plant yourself somewhere you no longer have interest to seek any further information. And that's what atheism is.

We should be saying "maybe, maybe not." At this point in time it is not realistically possible to determine whether or not "a higher power or diety" exists. I personally believe we will never know, yet waste so much time trying to figure it out. That's why I don't bother.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Kiwi said:
Saying "there is no god" is the same thing, once you firmly plant yourself somewhere you no longer have interest to seek any further information. And that's what atheism is.

We should be saying "maybe, maybe not." At this point in time it is not realistically possible to determine whether or not "a higher power or diety" exists. I personally believe we will never know, yet waste so much time trying to figure it out. That's why I don't bother.
Not at all.

I won't say all Athiests, but I keep up to date with science and I am constantly learning more and science is everchanging, whereas the bible is the same now as it was 2000 years ago.

Kiwi

Knight
Uhh.

We aren't talking the bible. If we're talking about the bible and the creationist "God" in the traditional sense, then we can clearly say that dude doesn't exist because we have proof to back it up.

I'm talking about the very foundation of the universe and how it came to be. Science is true, we know this. Do we know what made science? No. It's possible to believe that a higher power (a god) created the very spark of the universe and left it at that, and everything else went on as it did. That is believing in a god, but also believing in evolution. Deciding how this happened, firmly deciding and choosing a side, is irrational.

Now that I've thought about this, I'm not so sure which one of the two this guy is talking about anymore (the guy in the video.)

I think what he meant, Kiwi is that because the majority of people are raised to belive in a god by their parents, then not questioning it is like saying "I give up, I'll just believe what everyone else does, cuz im too lazy or stubborn to investigate other possibilities"

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Kiwi said:
Uhh.

We aren't talking the bible. If we're talking about the bible and the creationist "God" in the traditional sense, then we can clearly say that dude doesn't exist because we have proof to back it up.

I'm talking about the very foundation of the universe and how it came to be. Science is true, we know this. Do we know what made science? No. It's possible to believe that a higher power (a god) created the very spark of the universe and left it at that, and everything else went on as it did. That is believing in a god, but also believing in evolution. Deciding how this happened, firmly deciding and choosing a side, is irrational.

Now that I've thought about this, I'm not so sure which one of the two this guy is talking about anymore (the guy in the video.)
... w/e you are too religous for me.

Kiwi

Knight
Doesn't change the fact that Atheists are not the holy grail they sometimes make themselves out to be. It's no different than being pure republican or pure democrat. Both are bad. Think outside the box you assholes.

Kiwi

Knight
How am I religious. I try not to think about religion at all, but when I do, I greatly question the existence of any god. I lean towards atheist myself.

God I hate when people say that.

WHAT FUCKING BOX?

I know its an expression, but its a stupid and overused one, and the only people who like it are school counselors.

Slayer706

Sorceror
To make a leap and state a fact on whether there is or is not a god, is quite stupid.
It's no different than being pure republican or pure democrat. Both are bad.
Ok, so it is bad to be totally conservative or totally liberal. It is bad to believe in God completely or not believe in him at all. We should never take extremes in any issue because it is "bad"?

WarAngel

Wanderer
AB said:
I know its an expression, but its a stupid and overused one, and the only people who like it are school counselors.
...or are people who know what "think outside the box" actually means, and are capable of doing so.

WarAngel

Wanderer
o0_Sithid_0o said:
K now I gotta disagree with you, I cant see any real use in labels at all. The only thing they do( in my eyes ) is set people apart from everyone else, make them different, outcast them. Even if this is a pervertion of them, if we didnt pervert them what would we used them for? Honestly?

Let's take the labels off of everything. You go to Wal-Mart and try picking a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup out of 10,000 unlabeled soup cans. Have fun!

The same works with people. If there were no labels, I couldn't label myself as male, computer-experienced, or anything like that. You couldn't put out a job ad for a programmer, because a label for a programmer doesn't exist. I also couldn't decide whether to move into a violent neighborhood or a peaceful suburb because again, there are no labels on people or areas.

Labels are necessary, though sometimes used negatively.

Kiwi

Knight
Slayer706 said:
Ok, so it is bad to be totally conservative or totally liberal. It is bad to believe in God completely or not believe in him at all. We should never take extremes in any issue because it is "bad"?

I mean in the sense that you are refusing to acknowledge any other point of view.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:

Taking things to extremes is bad because it implies that there is no room left for doubt or questioning. I'm sure we can all agree that even in situations where we think we are 100% correct, checking to make sure occasionally is not terrible.