RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Athiests will enjoy this

Slayer706

Sorceror
religion >noun 1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship. 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.
People started to call Atheism a religion because they got angry with people saying "I have no religion." So they started falsely saying that non-religion is a religion too in order to inflame people.

I do not worship a superhuman controlling power. I do not "worship" at all, as a matter of fact. I don't really pursue Atheism enough to be considered devoted to it. So it is safe to say, I do not have a religion.

Oh, and Atheism is not Humanism.
Humanism >noun 1 a rationalistic system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. 2 a Renaissance cultural movement which turned away from medieval scholasticism and revived interest in ancient Greek and Roman thought.
However, by that definition, since Atheists do not believe in divine matters they have to consider that humans are more important (something that exists is more important than something that doesn't).... But really, that is by default. So, in the case of Atheists, Humanism is caused by Atheism. Some religious people could also be Humanists, such as the deists and the rationalists.

@Kiwi - No, I don't like to make everything complicated. Thinking out of the box tends to make things that way though....

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Slayer. Re-read my post. And then go home.

The definition of religion I am referring to is #3.

I am saying that the Humanistic worldview is supported by a "religion" (by form of closely held beliefs), known as Atheism. This is not a giant logical leap. Please know your worldviews before ranting.

Slayer706

Sorceror
Ok... I read your post. Now allow me to show you that you did not read mine.
And Atheism is the religion of Humanism. It is my firm opinion that everyone has a "religion", it is just that some "religions" are not really thought of as such.
atheism >noun the belief that God does not exist.
Humanism >noun 1 a rationalistic system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. 2 a Renaissance cultural movement which turned away from medieval scholasticism and revived interest in ancient Greek and Roman thought.
Those two definitions are in no way, shape, or form equal to one another.
The definition of religion I am referring to is #3.
religion >noun 1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship. 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.
I do not worship a superhuman controlling power. I do not "worship" at all, as a matter of fact. I don't really pursue Atheism enough to be considered devoted to it. So it is safe to say, I do not have a religion.

I am saying that the Humanistic worldview is supported by a "religion" (by form of closely held beliefs), known as Atheism. This is not a giant logical leap. Please know your worldviews before ranting.
I have no idea what you are talking about right here. I already stated why Atheism is not a religion. If Humanism is supported by Atheists, then I guess Atheists believe in deism and rationalism as well.
deism >noun belief in the existence of a supreme being, specifically of a creator who does not intervene in the universe. Compare with theism.
A.K.A. the "clockmaker God". If they don't believe God interferes with the universe, then obviously human matters would be more important that divine ones. They are Humanists.
rationalism >noun the practice or principle of basing opinions and actions on reason and knowledge rather than on religious belief or emotional response.
Closely related to Deism. Obviously a rationalist would promote bettering human existance over divine issues. They are Humanists.

So, what world views do I not know about?

WarAngel

Wanderer
I have no idea what you are talking about right here. I already stated why Atheism is not a religion.

religion >noun 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

I have yet to meet an atheist who isn't actively passionate about being anti-God. Atheists fight against religion, while they themselves fall under the definition of religion. *lawl*

Slayer706

Sorceror
I don't "fight" against religion. If I was devoted to Atheism as much as I am devoted to other important things in my life, then I would be out with picket signs. I would also open my own Anti-religion website. Heck, I would spend more than 4 or 5 minutes making posts about it here..... About the only chance I ever have to discuss the topic is when someone makes a post on here. I don't seek out ways to talk about it, I just respond to them when they come. Unlike a passionate zealot.

EDIT - I forgot.... *lawl*
It is almost time for me to show my future prediction. It has already came true, but I will await for it to "pour" instead of "sprinkle".

Radwen

Wanderer
Not really. I used to be atheist ..but I wasn't devoted to prove it. I just thought it made sense. Its like atheism in China .. the Country is Atheist, but it doesn't really promote it.

Anyways, I do tend to lean more towards atheism more than anything else. As an agnostic that is.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:
I don't "fight" against religion. If I was devoted to Atheism as much as I am devoted to other important things in my life, then I would be out with picket signs. I would also open my own Anti-religion website. Heck, I would spend more than 4 or 5 minutes making posts about it here..... About the only chance I ever have to discuss the topic is when someone makes a post on here. I don't seek out ways to talk about it, I just respond to them when they come. Unlike a passionate zealot.

It doesn't matter if YOU are passionate or not. The mainstream majority of Atheists have become passionately anti-God and have created a religion. Just as you would classify people who believe in God yet aren't outspoken about it as following a religion, you are classified too. Take it up with your fellow atheists.

It is almost time for me to show my future prediction. It has already came true, but I will await for it to "pour" instead of "sprinkle".

Great. I've a prediction about your prediction.

All of you: I have an urgent message from the Aliens who created us:

Stop arguing about stupid shit and watch the Fucking Video.

I'm excused from watching it, Cuz I'm on dial up and also the Aliens have chosen me to be the Human consulate on Planet stoparguinginsoadsthreadordieirlo

WarAngel

Wanderer
Anti-Basic said:
All of you: I have an urgent message from the Aliens who created us:

Stop arguing about stupid shit and watch the Fucking Video.

I'm excused from watching it, Cuz I'm on dial up and also the Aliens have chosen me to be the Human consulate on Planet stoparguinginsoadsthreadordieirlo

I think this guy was in a recent time magazine arguing against some other scientist who believes in God. They were both utterly useless.

Slayer706

Sorceror
It doesn't matter if YOU are passionate or not. The mainstream majority of Atheists have become passionately anti-God and have created a religion. Just as you would classify people who believe in God yet aren't outspoken about it as following a religion, you are classified too. Take it up with your fellow atheists.
No.... They are classified as a religion because they fall under the first two definitions of religion. Not because they are or aren't outspoken about it.
religion >noun 1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship.
Oh, and religion is a personal matter. As I said, I have no religion because I fall under none of the definitions of religion.

Slayer706

Sorceror
As I said TMS, I don't care if you think I am religious or not. I just can't stand bad logic. And this:
Was by far the worse logic I have seen in this thread. So I guess I am passionate about clear thinking.

This thread has gone horribly off-topic. Rather than close it, or tell you to get back on topic, I'll just start banning people who keep going off-topic.

Thanks!

DontdroptheSOAD said:
As far as I can tell it is still on topic.
Depends on your Definition of On Topic. While most of you aren't still discussing the video, you are (or were) discussing elements from it and/or featured in it. During the course of a normal conversation, the topic evolves as other people speak. Knowing how far to stray from the original topic is neccesary for the health of the conversation. I didnt watch the video tho, so I can't place an opinion on this one

Regardless, This comment was out of line:
Courageous said:
Off topic is permitted in starbucks. It says so. Perhaps you should take it up with Ryan?

C//
You dont tell someone above you how to do their job or go over their head. It's like going up to your boss, and telling him if he doesnt like how you do your job, than to take it up with HIS boss. Try doing that sometime and see what happens.

Now.. under certain circumstances, it may be neccessary to contact someone of a higher authority than the person who is above you, but such matters would ideally be handled in private instead of public. Otherwise it seems like you're kinda calling him out.