RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission Poll: Automated PvP

Popularity?

• I don't think it will take off, but I'm not certain, go for it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think it will take off, but I'm not certain, don't waste your time.

• Don't bother, you'll just be wasting your time.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vorspire

Knight
I could release the mainframe right now, but it won't come with any fully working battle classes, I'm still working on the Team Death Match and Counter-Strike scenarios for the official release.

I have to say though, the system has been working live now for about 2 weeks without a single flaw on a professional live server.

Pandora is a very impressive shard in my opinion and it has been an honour to work with their staff for the past few weeks while developing this Auto-PvP system.
Suffice to say, this system would not have been completed as fast if Pandora didn't get involved in the project, offering a live test server with real players; players which were very helpful and concise with their feedback on the system.

Pandora is currently running a "Free For All" battle scenario using the Auto-PvP system, the "Free For All" battle was commissioned and designed by Pandora and will remain unique to the shard as the flagship scenario that paved the way for a new and exciting PvP-orientated Ultima Online that I hope this community will find they can't miss out on.

For those of you who are floating around and would really like to see this system in action, the FFA currently cycles every 2 hours and usually reaches the soft-cap for the amount of allowed participants (maximum capacity).
Pandora averages 200 on-line players, so a battle is never short of participants.

[PvPBattles
Opens the Auto-PvP system navigation where you can view your profile statistics, or search for other player's profiles.
The global list of available battles is also available through this menu.

PandoraUO.com

Special thanks to Pandora and Konstantine for help in making this system possible.

Vorspire

Knight
Yes.
This project is currently consuming all of my development time, I'm still working on the system's gumps which inherit from a new "SuperGump" framework, which will be distributed with this release.
The owner of Pandora is currently on holiday and we are due to run tests with the new package this weekend, if all goes well, I will release the system framework but it will only include a single battle scenario until I can write up the rest. Pandora has also commissioned special battle scenarios which, for obvious reasons, I can not release with the framework.
I will then release new battle scenarios as soon as they are completed and tested.
I will only release a maximum of 10 battle scenarios with the framework, so I'm looking for ideas, what are the most common types of events or mass PvP battles out there?

Iraq-

Sorceror
Tiered 1v1 Tournaments
Tiered 2v2 Tournaments
Single 1v1 Tournaments
Single 2v2 Tournaments
Capture the Flag
King of the Hill
Double Domination
FFA / Last Man Standing
Defend the Leader
Paintball

Iraq-

Sorceror
If all that is left is the battle scenarios, I'd love to see the engine released and have a chance to toy with it some.

Iraq-

Sorceror
Hm, if so then I've been watching this for a while for nothing... but reading:
but I want to share the engine that makes the automation possible, with the community.
doesn't give me that impression.

Jeff

Lord
Hm, if so then I've been watching this for a while for nothing... but reading:

doesn't give me that impression.
Oh, maybe I assumed incorrectly since he is making a lot of his scripts purchasable. Oh well, hopefully it is free, sux to promote something like this, only to turn around and charge for it.

Vorspire

Knight
Pandora is paying for my time to develop custom battle scenarios that will not be included in the release.

People are actually willing to pay for this, which says a lot about the excitement for the project tbh.
The mainframe and at least 10 of the top voted battle scenarios will be released completely free, after which I will stop updating the project in order to let the community build their own battle scenarios, during which time I fully intend to start my own shard using this system as the central focus, then at some point down the road, I'm going to investigate cross-shard PvP possibilities, which at the moment seems entirely plausible.

Thanks for your support Iraq- the list you provided is excellent, what is your idea of "tiered" scenarios all about? as it sounds quite interesting.
If it's ranked battles, everyone's PvP profiles are ranked automatically by the system depending on one of three modes selected in the system config:
Ranked by; Kills, Points or Wins
This option is applied globally, however if you don't want battles to count towards profile statistics, you can override them in the individual classes.

Iraq-

Sorceror
It's his right... but if it really is his intension to allow this system to be used as the base engine for automated pvp scenarios, then i can't see this getting to that point without being free.

In the meantime I've written my own, but judging from Vorspires other works I would gladly make the switch. Although, for me personally, if it takes too much longer then I may be to far along in my own systems for it to be worth the switch.

Vorspire

Knight
Oh, maybe I assumed incorrectly since he is making a lot of his scripts purchasable. Oh well, hopefully it is free, sux to promote something like this, only to turn around and charge for it.

I would agree if I were to do that it would be considered a low-blow, which would suck, I think you underestimate my respect for this community tbf.

Vorspire

Knight
It's his right... but if it really is his intension to allow this system to be used as the base engine for automated pvp scenarios, then i can't see this getting to that point without being free.

In the meantime I've written my own, but judging from Vorspires other works I would gladly make the switch. Although, for me personally, if it takes too much longer then I may be to far along in my own systems for it to be worth the switch.

You wouldn't need to switch as the system will not interfere with anything else, it uses it's own unique set of commands and gumps and is still 100% drag-drop.

Iraq-

Sorceror
Teired meaning bracketed... with multiple duels going at a time, the winners constantly progressing forth until the final championship duel. This versus the alternative solo scenario in which everyone duels in the same area one after the other.. the key concept of teired tournaments is the simultanious duels taking place. Spectators would be able to watch multiple duels at once as the brackets progress unto the final duel which everyone would gather to see.

Jeff

Lord
I would agree if I were to do that it would be considered a low-blow, which would suck, I think you underestimate my respect for this community tbf.
I was just under that assumption from some of the other things you have posted for release. No biggy though, was just my misunderstanding.

Vorspire

Knight
I was just under that assumption from some of the other things you have posted for release. No biggy though, was just my misunderstanding.
The only other thing I've charged for directly is the automated donation system, but that's because it's a secure system that deals with real currency.

Just to assure, I only charge for private commission work which consumes my spare time, this system's development is actually being funded by the Pandora shard under the agreement that the framework will always remain a free public release, with the counter terms that I refrain from including the custom in-house scenarios designed for their shard.

I'm really looking forward to the tests this weekend and the eventual release next week.

jack-0

Traveler
Tiered 1v1 Tournaments
Tiered 2v2 Tournaments
Single 1v1 Tournaments
Single 2v2 Tournaments
Capture the Flag
King of the Hill
Double Domination
FFA / Last Man Standing
Defend the Leader
Paintball

I like all these ideas, I'd simply rearrange them in order of priority, where the properly massively multiplayer games come first (CTF, KotH)... I'd also advocate larger tournament teams, more like 5v5s (or 5v5v5! a three-way team battle like tag team royal rumble) because to me the real fun comes in working well within a team, determining who the weak players are on the enemy side and isolating/destroying them :) Controls to specify what skills can be used during different tournaments would be nice, too.

Faction-specific versions of some of the above events would be awesome too. And, a sort of uo take on wow's alterac valley battleground, for faction members only, ofc the opposing factions starting at different sides of the map and having their own bases and npcs to defend.