RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ConnectUO.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadull

Wanderer
It would be a pretty good idea to at least put the connectuo.com forums up, for those who used them (especially for things like staff appications, etc.)

ruphies

Wanderer
Why is it that it takes well over a month to fix this? From what I've been told, it's not very difficult, especially for compitent developers. (the RunUO team)

LOL @ Gaia. Luckily I am able to still use connectuo. I just have to hit no when it starts up and asks if I want an error log sent. I have razor installed though, just incase I need to use it. Only thing is I am a razor newb. :p

Hammerhand

Knight
ruphies;754270 said:
Why is it that it takes well over a month to fix this? From what I've been told, it's not very difficult, especially for compitent developers. (the RunUO team)
From what you've been told huh? Obviously, you havent read the threads concerning this. They have to re-write most of the site's programming and this was AFTER they redid the downloads section for the RunUO forums. The site was pretty much destroyed in the server farm crash. A handfull of people with their own lives to lead as well and you gripe that it isnt up yet? You can download the latest version of CUOD right here in THIS thread if you bothered to look. And looking ISNT very difficult at all.
It would be a pretty good idea to at least put the connectuo.com forums up, for those who used them (especially for things like staff appications, etc.)
Same goes for this post.

HellRazor

Knight
ruphies;754270 said:
Hey Why is it that it takes well over a month to fix this? From what I've been told, it's not very difficult, especially for compitent developers. (the RunUO team)

Hey ruphies, why haven't you written a new version of ConnectUO and a new ConnectUO web page? I want it now, why haven't you done it already? I'm really angry about it, you need to fix this now. It's really easy from what I heard. I'm getting really really tired of waiting for you to do it.

HellRazor;754430 said:
Hey ruphies, why haven't you written a new version of ConnectUO and a new ConnectUO web page? I want it now, why haven't you done it already? I'm really angry about it, you need to fix this now. It's really easy from what I heard. I'm getting really really tired of waiting for you to do it.
I need to spread karma first. ... I'll be back.

ruphies

Wanderer
I'm sorry for angering you, but we need an open source project similiar to ConnectUO where people could easily change the serverlist. When it comes to the ConnectUO site I really am just pissed because we havent been updated by their progress nor if they are just abondening their project. It's been over a month and we havent been given anything of news about the site.

So unless it's to much to ask can I please get an update on where ConnectUO stands and when we can wait it up?

By the way, is there anyone actually working something similiar to ConnectUO now?

crackrat

Wanderer
ruphies;754619 said:
I'm sorry for angering you, but we need an open source project similiar to ConnectUO where people could easily change the serverlist. When it comes to the ConnectUO site I really am just pissed because we havent been updated by their progress nor if they are just abondening their project. It's been over a month and we havent been given anything of news about the site.

So unless it's to much to ask can I please get an update on where ConnectUO stands and when we can wait it up?

By the way, is there anyone actually working something similiar to ConnectUO now?

It was post #108 in this thread posted on 4-12-08 that you got an update by one of the developers so there goes your month wait theory. and there is many posts concerning working around this problem. The developers of this site and connect uo have lives and they work very hard in their RL jobs. for them this is a hobby as it should be. They will get it done as they can. nuff said.

There are several alternative ways to connect and advertise a site. some of these can even be found on this thread.

I am failing to see a good reason and honestly question what open sourcing Connect UO would provide, other than 40 clone Connect UO sites and yet more sniveling. The developers of Connect UO decided not to open source it and that in itself is a good reason not to question that.

HellRazor

Knight
ruphies;754619 said:
I'm sorry for angering you, but we need an open source project similiar to ConnectUO where people could easily change the serverlist.

I agree. You'd better get started on it. Don't worry, I've heard it's easy.

When it comes to the ConnectUO site I really am just pissed because we havent been updated by their progress nor if they are just abondening their project. It's been over a month and we havent been given anything of news about the site.

I'm sure that hearing a lot of whining from ingrates really gets them motivated to work on rebuilding the site.

It stands about 4 inches tall on my desktop. And you can wait it up right now if you'd like.

Ask here

galardar

Wanderer
Ruphies has a point though, theres no reason whatsoever that any website or web service should be down for a full month with today's technology. 1 day max, given it was hardware failure.

I run many websites and I've seen it all, including hacks and my wiping the server to be safe.

Backups man, backups.

CUO being down does not affect me at all, but i still can't believe its been so long. Same with other RUO related sites like soraged.

My guess is they decided to decommission the sites.

HellRazor

Knight
No, the point is that these guys DON'T DO THIS FOR A LIVING. AND THEY DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING.

So while I agree that some updates would be nice, and I'd love to see the site back up, talking about how they should have done this, or should have done that, and by the way, why is it taking so long for this, and yeah, I'm really pissed about that...isn't helping anything. Why don't you guys just kick them in the nuts as a "thank you" while you are at it?

turtle

Sorceror
galardar;754794 said:
Ruphies has a point though, theres no reason whatsoever that any website or web service should be down for a full month with today's technology. 1 day max, given it was hardware failure.

I run many websites and I've seen it all, including hacks and my wiping the server to be safe.

Backups man, backups.

CUO being down does not affect me at all, but i still can't believe its been so long. Same with other RUO related sites like soraged.

My guess is they decided to decommission the sites.

you sir, are a jackass....

Hammerhand

Knight
Apparently, a few in here havent learned that the MORE YOU BITCH THE LONGER IT COULD TAKE. Never could understand how whining, bitching, moaning, complaining & begging would make ANYONE work faster. All it does for most people is just piss them off. Its a website for a FREE program done in someones SPARE time who just HAPPENS to have a LIFE. And if I remember correctly, a new wife as well. Bitch all you want to, to each other, on a messenger. But here.. just drop it. Most of us are very tired of the same old rants about it.

galardar

Wanderer
I'm in no way complaining. Just don't understand how it can take so long. If I ran a site and it was down I'd be panicking until I can get it back up. Guess its just me. I'm a "5 nines" nazi maybe. :p

cinamori

Wanderer
galardar;754832 said:
I'm in no way complaining. Just don't understand how it can take so long. If I ran a site and it was down I'd be panicking until I can get it back up. Guess its just me. I'm a "5 nines" nazi maybe. :p

No, your not. Just some people don't bother.

They either:
A) They didn't back it up regularly
B) See A.

ruphies

Wanderer
But even when you politely ask a question about it, they try to burn you as if you're a witch. Oh, and turtle, he's not a jackass, you're just an ass. He provided a logical statement based off his own experience, which you just flamed. And just because they have lives doesn't mean that with their whole team, can't come up with a fix. I have a life too, but I still find time to do what my hobbies are.

The developers of RunUO, ConnectUO and like products/services are not being payed by anyone other than maybe the generous pay pal donor. That having been said, you can't expect them to service you; a non paying customer, any time you please. This service they have been providing is a service given out of courtesy and it is their hobby not their career. The developers don't do things without reason so don't question their development techniques or habbits if you yourself are not either a member of the team or planning on taking up the project yourself.

End of story in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.