RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Counterfeit script creator Release!

Jeff

Lord
Norton fails.
Thing is, it isn't Norton, its most likely something he coded... Previously (i think, not sure) it was trying to write to the %SYSTEM% folder for some reason.... who knows why. I'm sure there is more of these kinds of no-no's.

Dodger-b

Sorceror
but it isnt just my nortons warning me about something i got three different alarms if it was just nortns saying it then maybe. sorry if i get an alarm or flag i get a little leary. did that once on my laptop caught some bogus "antivirus-scanner" bug that totally wiped out my hard drive and that was picked up on one of the servers i used to play on forums so im alot more careful an my desktop PC

Hiring Man

Sorceror
Honestly, it should not be writing to system32 anymore, i have changed that since 1.4.0.1 :S. It writes to C drive. write there and not anywhere else. I have been going through some rough times at the moment and am not sure when it will be over. Updates will be slow but will get done.

Foster

Account Terminated
Hiring man, just take ya time bro if these guys cant script without the script creator there all hangin on too much, the bugs will be fixed and this guys word is solid, bare with him and go try making armors yourself, its not hard.(Any way dont sets of armors have differant stats on the pieces that make the set any way, thus making a piece of that armor a rare item or what not, just thinking out loud) i mean seriously.

Theres other Script creator versions out there which do the same and are from the same guy, go try one of these out.
Its like any new program when its released it goes through beta.
This guy needs support with beta testing he doesnt need you to belittle his work and ridicule his program, things happen in peoples lives and they get caught up for a little bit dealing with REAL LIFE, RL sux some times but needs to be dealt with by priority, the forum is a place were members and guests come to submit there work/s, & seek support, its not a place that demands your full support and ongoing commitment to the submitions you make.
Therefor we should consider ourselves lucky to have these guys around or where would YOU be.... i say about 80 percent of us would be up shits creek without a paddle.

We waited along time for this and we managed without it so just wait a little longer and we will have what was promised.

Jeff

Lord
Honestly, it should not be writing to system32 anymore, i have changed that since 1.4.0.1 :S. It writes to C drive. write there and not anywhere else. I have been going through some rough times at the moment and am not sure when it will be over. Updates will be slow but will get done.
You should consider writing to the folder the app is in.... writing to the C root is suspicious... and not everyone has a C drive...

Dodger-b

Sorceror
i wasnt belittleing his work. just saying what warnings i was getting. i would really like to try it but as i said my nortons deletes the download so i cant even try it.

Dodger-b

Sorceror
so by your statement nortons fails because it deletes potentionally dangerous things from your computer, to me that sounds like nortons is doing its job

Jeff

Lord
so by your statement nortons fails because it deletes potentionally dangerous things from your computer, to me that sounds like nortons is doing its job
Except in this case it isn't truely dangerous... but, i suppose norton shouldn't really know that.

Vorspire

Knight

It's doing it's job, but it's doing it wrong.
Every other virus protection software that I know of has always given the option of quarantine, deletion or allowance.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to have 100% control over my computer and the things that run on it :/

Hiring Man

Sorceror
Very true Vorspire. I have full control over mine whether to delete or not. I will probably change it to the folder it is in .

yeah, why would it have been written outside of that folder in the first place :confused:. If I ever see unrecognized files in the root of my C Drive I immediately get suspicious

Jeff

Lord
yeah, why would it have been written outside of that folder in the first place :confused:. If I ever see unrecognized files in the root of my C Drive I immediately get suspicious
Because he doesn't know how to write it to the folder the app resides in, which is the same reason he was writing to the system folder.

Vorspire

Knight
Since .NET offers an amazing class: System.IO.FileInfo, it's almost impossible to fudge things up with paths and file operations like creation, opening, etc.

Imagine that you use the FileInfo class in a script in RunUO to initialize a text file for dumping an error log and you wanted it to be "relative" to the RunUO server executable in the Data directory, you wouldn't have to do anything more than construct the FileInfo object as simply as:
Code:
FileInfo fi = new FileInfo( @"Data\Error.txt" );

Not sure if there is a more suitable method to detect and create missing files, but I commonly use this when not needing to open a stream:
Code:
if( !fi.Exists )
{ fi.Create( ).Close( ); }

There is also a mirror class for directories too, System.IO.DirectoryInfo, which provides the same functions as FileInfo with slightly different methods:
Code:
DirectoryInfo di = new DirectoryInfo( @"NewDirectory\NewSubDirectory" );
The above would initialize the path "relative" to the RunUO server executable, just as with FileInfo.

Directory creation is slightly different, because the Create function does not return a stream (You can't read/write a directory on the byte-level, because it's simply a file-system index entry).
Code:
if( !di.Exists )
{ di.Create( ); }

So the results of the above code would be:

File 'Error.txt' is created in the Data directory within the RunUO server executable's "relative" path.
Directories 'NewDirectory' is created within the RunUO server executable's "relative" path and the directory 'NewSubDirectory' is created within 'NewDirectory'.

There will be errors if the file/directory names are not supported, so it's advisable to use try/catch when creating files/directories.

Negative on that Jeff. I know how to write to the directory it's in just never thought of it :)
umm, why the fuck wouldn't the idea of keeping your everything related to your app in the same folder cross your mind? Its really the only method that makes any sense