RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denial of Service attacks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninGT

Sorceror
Denial of Service attacks???

Forgive me? but what is a Denial of Service attack? I guess i am a newb but i was reading ryans post and saw the website last night. was down. Just wondering?

Thanks

Ronin

stormwolff

Knight
RoninGT said:
Forgive me? but what is a Denial of Service attack? I guess i am a newb but i was reading ryans post and saw the website last night. was down. Just wondering?

Thanks

Ronin

Basically its when somebody sends so many packets to a server that it gets bogged down and nobody else can use it.

Service is denied due to the overwhelming amount of concurrent connections.

RoninGT

Sorceror
I see, thanks for the fast reply bro. Sad to see that ppl have nothing better to do with there lives than to do crap like that. lol if they would just get laid might clear all that stuff right up :p

Ronin

Thraxus

Sorceror
People can be rather petty about things. This is likely the work of someone who got banned from the forums and/or the official RunUO team shards and decided that if they couldn't be part of the RunUO community, then they'd try to ruin it for everyone.

brandon948

Wanderer
It has to do with the Defiance shard. Theres a lil' fued going on between the two (UOGamers and Defiance) and blame is being pointed at the other from the opposer.

I don't know who's right and who's wrong (if there is a right and wrong in this matter) but I don't see why it can't be cleared up before it gets more out of hand than it has already.

I won't go into detail but if you check other forums, such as Gateway's and Defiance's forums, you'll see what's going on. My guess is Ryan doesn't want any of the stuff posted here anymore.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
They're both wrong!
They should be ashamed of being so childish. Don't DoS RunUO's website just because you have a problem with someone. Use alternative methods of resolution.

Woof. So there.

Dark Rage

Wanderer
Well, if this is the case (that it stems from an ongoing dispute between two shards ran by apparent ranking people amongst the RunUO Community) then, it would be wise to look at the two shards and RunUO as 3 seperate entities.

I understand the comment of "this kinda takes away the desire to provide the service"...but, on the other hand, RunUO is a seperate entity from all shards whether or not Dev members work/play on those shards. After all, because I use RunUO engine on my server does not mean I am a part of the RunUO team. And because I shut down my server does not mean RunUO stops moving along and growing. I may be just a pee-on wannabe scripter/server master...but let's take Ryan for example (no offense intended with the example)

If I were Ryan and I am part of the RunUO Dev team. I also run/work/play on a very successful shard using the RunUO engine. If people stopped playing my shard...do I stop developing RunUO? No.

If someone hacked my shard, do I stop developing RunUO? No, if it were me, I wouldnt.

If someone who wished to hack me or cause me harm, harmed the products and services brought by the RunUO Team, would I shutdown developing RunUO? No... I'd bring legal action as warranted against those persons and continue to offer the services.

Of course, I am NOT Ryan. I dont know even a percentage of what the dirt under his fingernails knows....but, as a consumer (and in this case a user of services), I would not want those services to end because of one action of stupidity that stems from a situation that 90% of the RunUO Community is not involved in. The denial of service attacks can be handled in a different manner, I think...possibly a legal one.

Just my zwei pfennig worth.

Sep102

Page
Damn, I can't believe how petty some people can be, sorry for all the trouble you guys are having to endure or have endured from him and I hope you all continue work on the project.

With that aside, were you able to get any work done on tracing this guy, I mean, he probably did spoof most of his IPs (I'm thinking this was for sure a DDoS, correct me if I'm wrong), but has anyone been able to salvage anything from them?

Also, if you haven't already, Wikipedia has some pretty good links with info on how to semi-prevent at least packets coming from obviously invalid, spoofed addresses from coming through, I would suggest reading some of the articles to help prevent this from either happening again or happening to the same degree.

Also, if you get his IP, I say post it right on the main RunUO page in about 20 or 24 point font, I'd love to see if this idiot knows how to secure his own box or just how to attack others.

Wikipedia Article on DoS and DDoS

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2267.html - A good article describing DDoS attacks and how different things can be implemented in the future to prototect against packets from spoofed addresses

http://www.honeypots.net/incidents/ddos-mitigation - A list of different articles describing DoS and DDoS attacks and how to survive and prevent them to some degree.

Remember, one of the best ways to be protected is to be informed.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Dark Rage said:
Of course, I am NOT Ryan. I dont know even a percentage of what the dirt under his fingernails knows....but, as a consumer (and in this case a user of services), I would not want those services to end because of one action of stupidity that stems from a situation that 90% of the RunUO Community is not involved in. The denial of service attacks can be handled in a different manner, I think...possibly a legal one.

Just my zwei pfennig worth.

I'd say that that 300 mbs attack on RunUO.com Involves 100% of all on RunUO

Dark Rage

Wanderer
ASayre8 said:
I'd say that that 300 mbs attack on RunUO.com Involves 100% of all on RunUO

Of course. I didnt mean to imply that 100% of the RunUO Community wouldnt be concerned or have an opinion on the matter...just that we, who are not involved in the direct issue, would not wish to suffer for the acts of idiocy we could not control or prevent.

Please dont take my words out of context. I am 100% in support of RunUO and it's community.

***Edit***
As an afterthought to this post, I'd like to add something using your own words. Since you admit that the attack involves 100% of the community, then shouldn't a decision to indeterminably delay the next release be a subject that the community should debate before a decision is made?

ASayre

RunUO Developer
Dark Rage said:
Of course. I didnt mean to imply that 100% of the RunUO Community wouldnt be concerned or have an opinion on the matter...just that we, who are not involved in the direct issue, would not wish to suffer for the acts of idiocy we could not control or prevent.

Please dont take my words out of context. I am 100% in support of RunUO and it's community.

***Edit***
As an afterthought to this post, I'd like to add something using your own words. Since you admit that the attack involves 100% of the community, then shouldn't a decision to indeterminably delay the next release be a subject that the community should debate before a decision is made?

Because The attack targeted in addition to our shards, RunUO.com. ie: Noone could access the site during the attack anyway. If it affects RunUO, it's takign up our time we could be doing other things, such as, tryign to enjoy holiday break, or (gasp) coding.

Dark Rage

Wanderer
ASayre8 said:
If it affects RunUO, it's takign up our time we could be doing other things, such as, tryign to enjoy holiday break, or (gasp) coding.

Ok...well, I'm trying to figure out where I did or said something that deserves your sarcasm.

As it is, I'll wait for someone with less antagonism, or at least properly placed antagonism to post before I respond again.

psz

Administrator
Simple version: VNC (the idiot) attacked RunUO.com, UOGamers Demise, RunUO IRC, and a few other spots.

Due to this, NO WORK COULD BE DONE for the entire evening.

BTW, there's no solid link to Defiance. That's just speculation. Please don't state it as fact.

(VNC has an account on UODreams, last I checked)

Dark Rage

Wanderer
Ok, see now, this makes sense.....

Actually, they WANTED us to release (to them) Factions. They don't care that no one else would get them, nor that the reason Factions aren't released is BECAUSE RC1 isn't finished (And is not on hold).

Due to his idiocy, VNC (the person who's doing the attacks) has pretty much guarunteed he will NOT be getting Factions on a timely basis. Unfortunately, he's also made it where no one ELSE will be either :-/

From this topic:
http://www.runuo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48684

And doesn't include the unnecessary sarcasm and misdirected antagonism.

Thanks for the info.

Rage

HellRazor

Knight
Ryan & Dev Team:

I totally understand where you guys are coming from. You bust your ass doing so much for so many and this is what you get in return, that would piss me off too.

But keep in mind that delaying RC1 doesn't really hurt the guys doing this - well, maybe it does a little if they are RunUO shard operators - but it hurts RunUO as a community alot more. This kind of reaction is just what griefers like this want, they live for this kind of attention. They obviously don't care about the community or they wouldn't be doing this to begin with. For all we know, it's not even a RunUO shard operator who is doing it, it could be a disgruntled player.

Of course, delaying/stopping development is your right and I think the majority of people here will support you guys 100% no matter what you decide. You don't owe any of us anything (quite the opposite in fact).

But as one of thousands who care about RunUO I hope you can find it in your heart to reconsider and to not let one or two bad apples spoil things for the thousands of RunUO community members. You know you have the support of the majority of people here.

After all of the hurdles that RunUO has effortlessly overcome one after another over the past few years to become the number one UO emulator, it would be a shame for the project to be brought low by one disgruntled script kiddie/hacker wannabe.

Of course, if guys need to take a break for other reasons, that is certainly understandable too.

On a side note, here's hoping you guys are able to nail the person doing this and are able to seek legal remedy.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Keep up the good work, guys. Don't let the idiots get to you. There's always a bad apple in the stack, as has been said. We all support your work, and think you do a bang-up job. Here's hoping this doesn't happen in the future.

HellRazor

Knight
psz said:
As Ryan said: It's postponed. Doesn't mean it's stopped outright.

Awesome!

Don't let these idiots get you down guys. Assholes have a way of fading away after they throw their little tantrums. Your tried-and-true loyal fan base will still be here tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.