RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Denial of Service attacks???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninGT

Sorceror
Look i am a no body around here, but i just want to say my feelings on the subject. Franky Ryan and the RunUO team bust the asses for us. With really asking nothing in return. Other then donations to runuo and subcribers they dont get anything for doing this, It dont cost a dine to come on here get help or download RunUO. I try to keep my subscritption active as much as i can and not because of extras you get but mainly out of respect for the team for everything they do. Its just stupid for anyone to attack RunUO over any reason. Again i know this has been stated here but i wanted to say it again.

Ryan and the team keep up the good work, Take all the time you need off, We will all still be here i am sure. And pardon my language but i hope you bust the fuckers ass who is doing this shit.

Ronin

-=Magic=-

Wanderer
Vidi said:
Ok Ive deleted this post three times now. Everytime I reread it. It looks like I am complaining or whining. I am trying to explain myself without the post being misread as an attack on ANYONE here at RunUO.

The best I can do is add this disclaimer:

The following is NOT an attack on the members of the RunUO Dev Team, web site or general membership of its community. It is a post to explain a certain point of veiw in the least offensive terms the author can muster at 6am in the morning. Please do not overreact, take offense or otherwise get angry about the post below. Try to take it in the spirit in which it was posted, one which is striving to explain a certain point of view and craves understanding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I don't care about factions. If factions is whats holding up the next release of RunUO, then PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE release without it. Not only don't I care about factions, I will most likely need to customize it on my shard to prevent it from interfereing with the storyline and other systems I have in place on my shard.

That being said, I was very disturbed by Ryans latest announcement.

Let me explain:

I am not a subscriber. I am not a subscriber for several reasons:

1: Since the subscription system went into real effect after the last release of RunUO, I have simply not needed to subscribe in order to update my shards.

2: Since I have no idea whats on the subscriber only custom scripts boards, I am missing nothing. There is no desire to jump in there to get those really great scripts.

3: The only thing thats left as an attraction is Script requesting. As it's been explained several times on these forums, the only difference between requesting scripts on the non subscriber or subscriber forums is no ones going to tell you its not allowed on the subscriber forums. You still won't get what you requested, but at least you won't get flamed for asking.

So what reason would I have to subscribe?

There's a reason TO subscribe. To support the community. To add to it in at least some small part.

And thats why I want to subscribe.

But then, I see things like the site down for days, or a post from the team saying they are thinking of quitting, or someone who subscribe two months ago and still cant access the subscriber forums even though they are being charged for it and I wonder:

Will RunUO be there tomorrow? Next week? Next month?

And I get...well, downright bummed out.

And now with the latest wave of idiot attacks on RunUO, I see that has bummed Ryan out even further.

I understand getting fed up with it all. I understand wanting to just say to hell with it and walking away. But I am sorry to say that is no longer a position that the RunUO team should express publically.

Why?

Because people on the fence, like me, get pushed to the wrong side of the fence by such things.

And if, as discussed before, RunUO went subscriber only. I just couldn't justify it to myself to sunscribe.

How many HUNDREDS of RunUO.com visitors did NOT attack the RunUO site over the last few days? How many THOUSANDS of players did NOT attack the site? Or the team? What about all of them?

And the subscribers? Who get early access to the release? How about them? How many months are they going to be charged for...well....nothing? And how can I justify to myself ( and even more importantly my wife ) joining them?

I understand that dealing with the very worst in people ( especially on IRC ) can really taint a persons outlook on everything, especially after surgery and years of pouring your heart and soul into a project. I truly do understand.

What I hope is understood, however, is that there are alot of people out in cyberspace who have given this community it's support, time and money. And something is owed to them, at least in principle. And how they are treated determines how many others want to join them.

I hope the Dev Team can take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of people are thankful for RunUO AS IS. Even if no further development was done on it, it will be played for many many years to come ( if not decades ). If OSI UO were to fall tomorrow, RunUO will go on. And there's new players too.

My eight year old stepson started playing UO this year. Not OSI UO, but RunUO. I set him up on his own server to learn the game and now he plays on one of my live servers. He has already begun looking at the scripts and trying to figure out what does what. He has asked me for my C# books so he can begin to learn C#. I have let him look through them and as he learns more in school I am sure he will learn programming. He has already declared he intends to code video games when he grows up ( and some of his ideas for games aren't half bad, truth be told )

So take comfort in that as well. RunUO is inspiring a whole new generation of gamers. It allows parents, like me, a chance to show our kids what an online game can be like, teach them the ettiquette of gaming in a closed enviorment, before unleashing them onto the world. It helps us to teach them not NOT be like the jerk who recently attacked this website.

Please do not lose faith in what you have done here. I truly believe that RunUO has grown even bigger than you know. It's bigger than you imagine. And it's impact is greater than you know.

Nothing to add.

BTW, like i've already said:

last release: 7 april 2004. 9 month ago...

and why? Faction? lol

in 9 months, OSI has made 5 new publish..... and we can't have a runuo update, cause faction has to be a privilege of few?

and now? RunUO RC1 delayed?? more that 9 months.. like a delay, i think that it's enough ;)

UODreams has the lastest release... but i don't think that is so "incomplete" that any other shard may have it.

If after 9 months of waiting, we have to read, that for an idiot... there will be other 9 months.... lol
it seems to me, that you have found an excuse to delay the release ;)

remove these fuking faction if you care so much about it.

at the end, a question:

RC1 isn't finished yet. ok.
Is It possible to know (at least) the "todo" list?

Hoping that this "todo" list don't grove as OSI release new features... cause we will never see any new release for years..

Osi faction ----> we have write faction, before release!
ok... RunUo community still waiting....
Osi new Publish ----> we have write the publish, before release!
mmmm....ok... RunUo community still waiting....again.....
Osi new Expansion ----> we have write all the new expansion, before release!
-_-' mmmm....ok... RunUo community still waiting....again.....and again....

DoS attack! .....the RunUO development team will be taking a break from working on RunUO....

:eek:

and so on...

cfaust

Wanderer
I would like to see RC1 delayed at this point in time; as you might be saying to yourself, "what is up with this retard?" Take in to consideration some opinions or another point of view.

1. The development team have basically received a personal attack, not a verbal attack; but a physical attack on the servers.

2. The development team had to recover things that were already working because of this attack, instead of spending hard earned spare time on working on RC1.

3. If they were to continue on the project at hand, with the frustration level as it is now, the end product RC1 may suffer and you won't get the normally high quality product of which you are used to RunUO offering.

4. They don't really get paid to do this, your subscriptions maintain the software and hardware used to develop and deliver the high quality product of which you have grown used to.

5. RunUO and it's staff have provided a virtually free service, support and software.

6. Approximately 1 out of every 100 people donated before the subscription services became reality. (warning may not be close to true, but may not be far from the truth). To donate means to give something without receiving anything. So your donations to RunUO actually got you something, new releases of RunUO during beta, and a seriously solid stable RunUO 1.0 RC0

7. Appoximately 1 out of every 100 people are subscribing (may not be close to true, but may not be far from the truth). Subscriptions are nothing more than a donation with additional features attached, not the power to demand.

8. Taking #6 and #7 in to consideration, have you ever heard anyone complain about the lack of donations or subscriptions, where the money keeps this project alive? Someone complain that is actually important around here anyway.

9. They need a break after the DDoS attacks, after all the complaints, after all the bullshit they have had to endure to bring us the quality that we have grown to expect from these guys.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Subscribe how...?

I'd like to subscribe, but the subscription link in the sticky doesn't work.
How can I subscribe?

HellRazor

Knight
I don't think these DDoS attacks should play any role whatsoever in the future development of RunUO (other than the obvious immediate delays it causes by the simple fact of having to deal with them).

To allow them to have an effect on the future of the emulator is to "give in to the terrorists" so to speak, and is exactly what they want. Idiots like this love the attention and drama they cause.

Its a mistake to give in to bullies and anonymous pussies who do these types of attacks. You'll have a much greater effect on their will to continue by simply ignoring them (at least publically in the forums) until they are either caught or go away on their own (which seems to be pretty much what the devs are doing at this point).

Even bigger evidence that they have had no effect whatsoever would be to release RC1 unabated! (Of course, as a RunUO fan and user, I am biased on that!) :)

But seriously, I'd like to see business go on as normal. Don't give these idiots the satisfaction of knowing they have halted development. That rewards them and punishes entirely the wrong group, your friends and supporters.

cfaust

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK I'm not asking anyone to subscribe, nor donate; that would be wrong of me, that and I'm not part of the core team.

HellRazor, you make a valid counter point, but lets face it, they do deserve a break, they have basically been working on this non stop since the beginning, I wish I had more knowlege to help them myself, but all I'm good at is trouble shooting.

It's the chicken shit anonymous assholes out there that ruin everything; by delaying the next release wouldn't be giving in really, because the spirit of the project is still alive and well here in the community. If we stick together and keep our opinions and comments positive and remain solid the delay in release would mean more quality not giving in to anonymous people who don't have the balls to show their faces, and require hiding behind a proxy.

The fact that there are so many of us still here, even though more positive comments could have been given to the RunUO team before the attacks, instead of waiting for some stupid crap that threatens the RunUO community to band together.

Lets just support the team as best we can, quit asking for the release and wait patiently while the RunUO team regroups and gets ready to kick the UO emulator world in it's ass once again, just as they do everytime they release something.

psz

Administrator
Umm.... Guys

*FACTIONS ARE NOT HOLDING UP RC1!!!!!!*

Factions are almost completely bug free, in fact (Some things are still missing THAT REQUIRE OTHER CHANGES FIRST)

There's a LOT of other things holding up RC1.

*FACTIONS ARE NOT IT*

This is at least the third or fourth thread I've had to say this in.

I am growing very tired of repeating it.

So please, for the LAST TIME: STOP ASKING FOR FACTIONS! THEY WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT RC1 AND RC1 IS NOT DONE.

cfaust

Wanderer
If I've mentioned it psz I apologize, right now at the rate people are getting their undies in a wad about the delay of RC1 I've gotten a slight bit lost. I don't need factions anyway so that really would never even make it to my list.

All I want from the RunUO team is to have a break, then think about RC1 when they are ready to get back at it. As much as I want it, I'm willing to wait in liue of recent events, I am almost certain that I am not the only one that would rather wait than press the team forward.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
if they think they need a break, for whatever reason, then they should take a break....quit being assholes and telling them to stop

i agree, it should continue, i am waiting for some of the things that are supposed to be in RC1(factions included, but not limited to)....but i also believe that it wouldn't be as good if they keep working with all the tension and bullshit going on....and i personally would like a quality product which they have thus far provided

i am amazed they haven't allready said to hell with it....let the fuckers burn....they understand that it is not the whole community that did this....that is why they are just putting it on hold

to end this though, i will still be here as long as they say they will be here.....ill put in my at least $18 (6 month) subscription as long as i can....and ill do the lifetime one when i have the money......so i will be here waiting and im sure im not the only one

cfaust

Wanderer
I'm with you on that Pyro-Tech I'll continue to subscribe for what ever amount I can afford at the time. And I will remain for as long as RunUO stands; I haven't seen a better emulator for UO to date, POL used to be the shit, then RunUO showed up, and gave the rest of the emulator world a kick in the ass. I still get posts from the developer forums for POL, it's slowed down to almost a crawl, and it still doesn't work right, and barely supports a fraction of what RunUO does. The new king of emulators imo is RunUO.

-=Magic=-

Wanderer
psz said:
Umm.... Guys

Factions are almost completely bug free, in fact (Some things are still missing THAT REQUIRE OTHER CHANGES FIRST)

*FACTIONS ARE NOT IT*

This is at least the third or fourth thread I've had to say this in.

I am growing very tired of repeating it.

So please, for the LAST TIME: STOP ASKING FOR FACTIONS! THEY WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT RC1 AND RC1 IS NOT DONE.

?? i haven't asked anything.

I don't care about faction.

I've asked if it's possible to know the "todo" list ...

RC1 isn't done... well. what will remain to do?

Why other server have the lastest release (with all the publish) ?

this is the problem ;)

"BEFORE" this fu**ing faction, the RunUO developer was MORE (and i repeat MORE) present to the "normal" RunUO community.

In these 9 month, it seems to me, that has been created a "reserved club"... emulator for a restricted number of people.

--------------------

cfaust, you have to be more careful and less superficial.

How many scripts has been taken from the "script submission" and used into the RunUO release?

"1. The development team have basically received a personal attack, not a verbal attack; but a physical attack on the servers."

so, what's the point? Microsoft should be close.... after your assertion.

"2. The development team had to recover things that were already working because of this attack, instead of spending hard earned spare time on working on RC1."

The development team hasn't released ANY new version since 7 of April.
I think that ALMOST the publish should be released... because its the most important part of a server OSI-like.. do you know what is the GamePlay?

"3. If they were to continue on the project at hand, with the frustration level as it is now, the end product RC1 may suffer and you won't get the normally high quality product of which you are used to RunUO offering."

The High quality of the product, complain a sort of roadmap of the software.

"4. They don't really get paid to do this, your subscriptions maintain the software and hardware used to develop and deliver the high quality product of which you have grown used to."

Are you their sales manager?

"5. RunUO and it's staff have provided a virtually free service, support and software."

Wrong, almost in a part.

RunUO and it's staff have provided a virtually free service, support and software. before the 9 of April.

If we have to pay to have any kind of new release, that they tell us. Many of us, have invested MONEY to mantain our Uo Server.....

"6. Approximately 1 out of every 100 people donated before the subscription services became reality. (warning may not be close to true, but may not be far from the truth). To donate means to give something without receiving anything. So your donations to RunUO actually got you something, new releases of RunUO during beta, and a seriously solid stable RunUO 1.0 RC0"

like the subscription is intended, it's unusefull. The benefit of the subscription, are limited to a simple forum access. (and to not see Phantom flaming at every post you made, because you aren't a non-subscriber member.....)

"8. Taking #6 and #7 in to consideration, have you ever heard anyone complain about the lack of donations or subscriptions, where the money keeps this project alive? Someone complain that is actually important around here anyway."

Again. If we have to pay, to have the newest release of RunUo... then let their to know us. We have waited 9 months!!!!!!! not 1 week. 9 months. and now, we have to wait for an indefinite lack of time????

"9. They need a break after the DDoS attacks, after all the complaints, after all the bullshit they have had to endure to bring us the quality that we have grown to expect from these guys."

Are you their psicanalist?

-=Magic=-

Wanderer
I repeat my question:

Is it possible to know, which are the things that remains to scripts, to consider RunUO RC1 finished?

Oppiet30

Wanderer
Tell me if this is true. Running a RunUO shard is against the law.
You are violating EA games copyright on the servers.
And using the UO client for the framework.
Is this true?

-=Magic=-

Wanderer
Oppiet30 said:
Tell me if this is true. Running a RunUO shard is against the law.
You are violating EA games copyright on the servers.
And using the UO client for the framework.
Is this true?

no. false.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
If you think RunUO has turned into a club please feel free to go ahead and use something else.

mikelezz

Wanderer
Every server of the world (if it is enough famous) get dos attacks.

If MS get dos attack do you think they'll stop developing Windozz?
If Ahead get dos attack do you think they'll stop developing Nero Burning ROM?
When UODreams got dos attack do you think they stopped the shard? No, they didn't...
And so on...

Why do you care? Nobody in the World cares.

Think as nothing happened, it is the best thing to do.

If you start thinking "oh-oh you attacked me! it is you! no it you! i will revenge myself stopping runuo oh-oh! me powa!!"
people get only more angry and the one who did the attack gets very very happy because with his act he managed to do a big damage to the community / developers / project , and so on..

So, stop speaking about these useless and stupid things. We all are here only for the runuo project, not for flaming or accusing each others, trying to help the coders and admins in some way (also only with a "thank you very much for your work").
I'd like a line of code for RC1 rather than a line of reply to this threads.

Crappy English, i know..

psz

Administrator
You guys completely missed the point of my post, and your replies PROVE it.

This is why I made my post:

BEFORE" this fu**ing faction, the RunUO developer was MORE (and i repeat MORE) present to the "normal" RunUO community.

last release: 7 april 2004. 9 month ago...

and why? Faction? lol

in 9 months, OSI has made 5 new publish..... and we can't have a runuo update, cause faction has to be a privilege of few?

Personally, I don't care about factions. If factions is whats holding up the next release of RunUO, then PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE release without it.

*FACTIONS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LACK OF RELEASE*

That is the entire point of my post.

Other than a few bugs and a feature here or there, FACTIONS HAVE BEEN DONE FOR MONTHS.

RC1 is the reasons *FACTIONS* have not been released. Not the other way around.

As I said:

*FACTIONS ARE NOT IT*

As for UODreams having the latest release, they DON'T. The latest release is sitting in three or four harddrives around the country waiting to be merged and tested. NOBODY has the latest release yet (Aside to MAYBE Hybrid, which is more or less Pre-AOS, meaning NONE of the AOS/SE side of things has been tested, thus no release)

-=Magic=-

Wanderer
Ryan said:
If you think RunUO has turned into a club please feel free to go ahead and use something else.

Hi, Ryan.

What do you write, is "logically" correct, but "morally" incorrect (hoping that my bad english isn't so bad, so that i can explain my opinion without be misunderstood :p )

I'm free to use something else. ok.

but I can't feel free to use something else.

which are the most important "features" that a man who want to open a shard, look for when he have to choice which emulator use?

- Emulator has Faction?
- Emulator require few resource?
- Emulator brign tome the journal on the morning?

no. no one of the above.

One of the most important thing, is:

how often the dev. team release new version of the emulator.

With RunUO you have got the attention of many of us, releasing version every one/two week... working hard, and building one of the most beautiful peace of software that has been written.

Noone of us, are asking to you one version every 1 week.
But, i can't really understand how is possible never release any new version in 9 month.

forgot the faction...

from april, OSI has released 5 new publish (from 24 to 29)..

why don't release periodically a new version that include the lastest publish?

RunUo is emulator born to build server OSILike. Well, Gameplay is the most important thing. And the release of a new publish, change the gameplay, putting fix, changing setttings... and so on.

Better to have an emulator without SE support than without the publish.

You have implemented the faction. well.
but, never release to the public the new core.

You have implemented the publish. well.
but, never release to the public the new core.

Now, You want to implement all the SE stuff. well.

But if is in your plan is to script all the OSI stuff, you will nevere release anything.

i've made a simple question, and anyone give me a response.

"Is it possible to know, which are the things that remains to scripts, to consider RunUO RC1 finished?"

To PSZ:
The RunUO team, isn't so present to the community like before. Why?

HellRazor

Knight
It's not really fair to compare the number of RunUO releases to the number of OSI releases. OSI has an entire team of paid employees whose full time job is to write code. RunUO is done as a hobby in the spare time of people who have other full time responsibilities. Big difference.

Also, although releases have been slower this year, one thing you can say about RunUO is that the software is thoroughly tested before it is released. I'd rather have one release that is rock solid than a dozen releases filled with bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.