RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone seen this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alis

Wanderer
As far as i remember chris the avatar is from runuo ; As far as i remember he is a member of the runuo family =)

As far as i remember he was interested on uopatch =)

As far as i remember he was working on a project like that ..

Rhexis

Knight
Im not entirely sure what the think of uopatch. I plan on distributing my patches in .muo format, which basically serves the same purpose of patching the differences in UOG. Seems almost silly to send out a .muo on uogateway then do basically the same thing via the uopatch program just to reach someone who may or may not be using uopatch exclusively. That, and it was said somewhere uopatch is geared towards people updating their patches frequently..which I wont be. Could be wrong on that point though

-Shrugs- Im holding back from passing judgement on uopatch til its a little more developed and I can form a more informed opinion.

Cyndrz

Wanderer
Well I came here today just for this reason so I am glad I found this post because I do have something to say. I may not be the right person to post this and maybe I am. I am no programmer and understand none of it, I do some of my own scripting which I have not shared because I have not the time to figure out how to host a script to share, I am sure it is maybe simple and will venture that way some day.
As a shard owner I was alittle taken back when a person showed up on my server by the name of Jesse and starting inviting me to join this UOPatch and this RunUO scripting site, saying our server was perfect and that they didnt want any lame servers, well I dont think of my server as lame by all means but it is a small mom and pop type server.

Needless to say he also ran down UOGateway and this site which I love both so that didnt sit to well with me. He also offered to fix my save gump ( didnt relize there was anything wrong with it ) which wasnt my script or gump to begin with, I did modifie it to may liking but none the less not my work.

I sent the gump to him over MSN and I might add he had some very crued picture on which turned my stomach a few times over. Needless to say I never did get the gump back not that it matters it was a copy. I didnt care for the way UOPatch worked plus there was no place for a sever that offers more them PVP or RP to be added but I wouldn't completely rule out UOPatch but I will add that this Jesse and his RunUO script sight makes the UOPatch sight look really bad and I will tell you why I feel this way.

There where very few scripts listed (I am sure the save gump will show up there and on Jesse's server) and I use alot of the scripts listed there that I got from this site and not a single script had any credits listed to the real scripter and I go out of my way to remember who scripted what and even have thank yous listed on my sight to a few of the scripters. Jesse also told me he had the new runuo release listed on his sight with full ML functions and that his server also had this up and running and that he had a custom made crafting system.

So I checked this out to find that none of it was true and that he was also using a old modified version of the Daat99 OWL system ( which he also ran down ) in fact outside of the custom map that I couldn't see ( trees in house ect) I didnt see a single custom script there but then I could have missed it I guess. I Have no idea if something can be done about this and you sure dont have to take my word for it just going to the site will say it all. Sorry I am so long winded but this really bothered me and I had to get it off my chest. http://www.runuoscripts.net/

Rabban

Sorceror
Two things:
A) When you write alot, make more than one paragraph so that it is easier to read and so that you can find your place if you look away.
B) Webpages online are sites. Websites, not sights. You can lose your sight. A squirrel was within sight. I saw their site.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Jesse is known for being an idiot. His/her username on this site is "JesseTCG". He/she has also kept close company with a banned user, and they run a shard together. A while back, they released a script "pack", which turned out to be mostly poorly-cobbled-together, and used without permission.

Thanks for pointing this out to those who might not know, however.

(Why do I hold such ire for this person? My script is on that site. In an old and unsupported form. It is also represented as being "theirs"...which it is not.)

Tannis

Knight
I deleted my previous post because I guess I took what Cyndrz had said wrong. I had said before not to let Jesse dissuade you from using UOPatch, but it appears that the maker of UOPatch and Jesse are working together on something. My views of UOPatch have changed now, and I don't think I'll use it after all.

*edit*

On a side note, is it or is it not illegal to distribute a modified core of RunUO, or is it just against the sites rules? That's still somewhat of a grey area to me. I signed up for an account on that awful site so I could see what they were trying to pass off as their own, and I've a feeling I won't have an account there for long.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
It's not illegal now that it is open-source. It *is* illegal to reverse-engineer/decompile the core, modify it, recompile it, and distribute that. It is also illegal to redistribute the RunUO distro itself.

//on another note, they have a $400 forum...I dunno if they bought it or not.../report.

Phantom

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
It's not illegal now that it is open-source. It *is* illegal to reverse-engineer/decompile the core, modify it, recompile it, and distribute that. It is also illegal to redistribute the RunUO distro itself.

//on another note, they have a $400 forum...I dunno if they bought it or not.../report.

Your also not really allowed to distrubute the scripts within the default release.

This is why Giga Spawner contains no default scripts, not even modified ones, of course certain types of systems have to change the default code.

This is also why its not possible to enforce that particular rule, doesn't mean you should do it, when possible.

Alis

Wanderer
I also wanted to inform you guys that orbsydia is making a new client - server based system similar to Runuo ; but we all know that they are Not following OSI.They are going on custom world.

Well in their new project they are making a client which will provide people endless bounderies like for the maps there will be no bounderies in the client you could build how much you want .

We makes the situation cool. =)

I also learned that a new comapany i dont remember the name but they are taking the Ultima Online style and modifiying into a new 3D Based Graphic mmorpg.

Note"dont ask me who they are but i read it a while ago " "im fish brained =)"

Tannis

Knight
That stupid site has a core download for RunUO, and they're not making any attempt to hide the fact that it is in fact the RunUO core that's been decompiled, modified, and recompiled. I hate jerks.

Phantom

Knight
Alis said:
IPB ? 400$ ? really ? cant beleive it was that much are you sure =)

$150+ License

$275 copyright removal.

Go to the uoscripts website, their forum does not contain a copyright, and thus is illegal unless they paid for it. They have "hacked" their website, if that wasn't the case; I could prove that they were.

There is a particular php function call like "?do=newreply" but displays a "number" and "hacked" versions of IPB show something like "We Owned Invision" the typical hacker type "comment".

The $150 is for a lifetime license, there is a less expensive license thats $65.

I would like to add they are just as expensive as vbulletin give or take $20 on either end. Its a give or take type thing, one compnay you pay for support but get upgrades for free. The other gives you support but you paid for updates each year.

In the end you paid almost the same, and get very similar products that do something very similar in sometimes very different ways.

Phantom

Knight
Tannis said:
That stupid site has a core download for RunUO, and they're not making any attempt to hide the fact that it is in fact the RunUO core that's been decompiled, modified, and recompiled. I hate jerks.

As long as they provide the source they are within the law, on that particular subject.

Having RunUO for download is not allowed on any website unless you have made changes do it. If you have ONLY RunUO and the source can be posted NOTHING else.

Phantom

Knight
Cyndrz said:
Well I came here today just for this reason so I am glad I found this post because I do have something to say. I may not be the right person to post this and maybe I am. I am no programmer and understand none of it, I do some of my own scripting which I have not shared because I have not the time to figure out how to host a script to share, I am sure it is maybe simple and will venture that way some day.
As a shard owner I was alittle taken back when a person showed up on my server by the name of Jesse and starting inviting me to join this UOPatch and this RunUO scripting site, saying our server was perfect and that they didnt want any lame servers, well I dont think of my server as lame by all means but it is a small mom and pop type server.

Needless to say he also ran down UOGateway and this site which I love both so that didnt sit to well with me. He also offered to fix my save gump ( didnt relize there was anything wrong with it ) which wasnt my script or gump to begin with, I did modifie it to may liking but none the less not my work.

I sent the gump to him over MSN and I might add he had some very crued picture on which turned my stomach a few times over. Needless to say I never did get the gump back not that it matters it was a copy. I didnt care for the way UOPatch worked plus there was no place for a sever that offers more them PVP or RP to be added but I wouldn't completely rule out UOPatch but I will add that this Jesse and his RunUO script sight makes the UOPatch sight look really bad and I will tell you why I feel this way.

There where very few scripts listed (I am sure the save gump will show up there and on Jesse's server) and I use alot of the scripts listed there that I got from this site and not a single script had any credits listed to the real scripter and I go out of my way to remember who scripted what and even have thank yous listed on my sight to a few of the scripters. Jesse also told me he had the new runuo release listed on his sight with full ML functions and that his server also had this up and running and that he had a custom made crafting system.

So I checked this out to find that none of it was true and that he was also using a old modified version of the Daat99 OWL system ( which he also ran down ) in fact outside of the custom map that I couldn't see ( trees in house ect) I didnt see a single custom script there but then I could have missed it I guess. I Have no idea if something can be done about this and you sure dont have to take my word for it just going to the site will say it all. Sorry I am so long winded but this really bothered me and I had to get it off my chest. http://www.runuoscripts.net/

The reason you cannot find any comments to the original author is because Jesse allows people to post scripts that are not his. Without knowing what script you were using I couldn't tell you if it has issues within it, but Jesse is the last person who would know. Even the modified core he posted IS NOT HIS, was written by another idiot who I THANK GOD is banned from here.

Cyndrz

Wanderer
I was worried at first about posting on this subject but when I relized he was stealing scripts it didnt sit well with me to say it nicely. I didnt notice the core files they have there till after I posted this. I can only hope that people see these posts and not try to use anything that may harm there servers or there computers.

Also like I said this Jesse came right into my server and adverticed this site to me there and I can only imagine how many servers he is entering and doing this. Small servers like mine I am sure seem like an easy target to such a person. I maybe small but it was alot of work and I learned it all here so this site means alot to me and the scripters that come here and post there work.

I feel alot better now, I went back to Jesse's site and scripters have gone there and confronted him on the scripts posted there. I also applied for an account there befor I posted this and befor I realized what was going on and I can only hope that it doesnt reflect badly on me. I tried to find a delete button because you would think a website that cost that much should atleast come with a delete button.

Status
Not open for further replies.