RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can i start my own UO shard?

Vitas

Sorceror
How can i start my own UO shard?

Hello
can any one hlep me get the files i need to get started on my own shard please :D

stormwolff

Knight
There is a download section on the main page http://www.runuo.com.

You need a computer capable of running the server. (Windows XP, 2000, or Server 2003 are the recommended versions)
1GB of Ram is probably the lowest amount of ram you want to run with, you can do it with less just for playing around.
You need uo installed or access to the mul files(patched to around 5.9.1)
You need a copy of the RunUO server (1.0, 2.0 RC1, or 2.0 SVN)

Assuming you already have the proper .net from Microsoft updates, you can just download the server package, extract it, edit a few files and be ready to go.

Links here if you need .net 1.1 or .net 2.0. RunUO 1.0 requires .net 1.0 or 1.1. RunUO 2.0 requires .net 2.0

File edits:
You can make these edits in notepad. Personally I use editpad lite others use sharp develop.

Scripts/Misc/Serverlist.cs

If you want to be able to have others connect to your shard you need to put your public ip in here. If you just want to play locally for now you don't even have to change this. You can also change your shard name in this file.

Change this part

Code:
        public static readonly string Address = null;

public const string ServerName = "RunUO TC";

to something like

Code:
        public static readonly string Address = "1.1.1.1";

public const string ServerName = "My Server Name";
Use your external ip instead of 1.1.1.1

Other than that it is pretty much ready to go out of the box.

You can get more advanced and try the most recent RunUO SVN via tortoise SVN for scripts and compile it yourself or get the precompiled exe from here or Arte's site, but that is probably best saved for another time.

It is probably best to just try it and see. Post any errors or issues and then others can help you.

Also you will need some way to connect to it. The main connection tools of the day are Razor and ConnectUO.

If connecting locally you just need to pop in 127.0.0.1 and you should be good to go.

stormwolff

Knight
In another topic you hijacked you posted some questions, you also pmmed me which is something I ask people not to do in my sig.

I moved them here to keep everything in one place for you.

Vitas;705494 said:
ok i just want to ask.. the first 2 conversations were about the files and how can u start your own shard.. i don't think i have problem to do the first few things... but were do i get the client or files for my own shard? what game should i use Modays Legacy or what else?

You should use any version of UO newer than AOS they will all patch up the same to ML. If using RunUO 1.0 or 2.0 RC1 stop patching around 5.0.9.1. If using RunUO SVN 200 or so you can patch up to 6.0.1.10.

Vitas;705494 said:
and if i need to be a member of EA to start my own shard... or is it totaly free for the whole thing?

Nope, you don't need to have an EA account to have your own shard. In fact at this time that is the only violation they can get you on for running a shard. They can ban your account if they find out you are running your own shard.

Vitas;705494 said:
and i also play on other shards that uses Verdata, and login and staff like that.. so i have 2 uo games installed on my pc... one is Renaissance, and other is Mondays legacy. can any one please help me figure out what's were? i want to have my own shard and play with my friends on other shard(use Renaissance) client. if i have to use Mondays legacy to create my own shard that would be great. i know this is kind of confusing but any one help me please....

The newer clients don't use verdata so it won't be in your ML folder. RunUO is setup to use the newer clients so a recent patch version is a good choice to base your server on.

stormwolff

Knight
Vitas;705505 said:
ok i got my shard running but i have a couple of questions. Why is it slow? i think i have 448 mb of ram. that may be the problem.

Gah! another PM, Please for the love of Jebus learn to respect other people's wishes. If you PM me again I will no longer be willing to help you.

448MB of ram is an odd number, maybe 512 with 64 for onboard video? If you are using windows XP you can generally expect it to use up around 256mb of that on its own without anything running. RunUO uses more ram, and if you are using UO on the same computer as the server, that is using more of you ram.

Vitas;705505 said:
and other thing were can i find a someone to help me create stuff? cause i don't know a dam thing about it!!! maybe u can help me....lol

Very few people here on these forums will simply create things for you. Requests are not allowed here. You can post job openings on other forums such as the one at connectuo. There are also a request forum over at orbsydia. Keep in mind that even though you request it, that does not mean that others will fill that request.

Your best bet around here is to try things out on your own. Post any errors that come up and people are more than willing to help you work them out. I find trial and error is the best way to work out most issues involved with creating things for RunUO.

Also there is a script release forum were people release scripts for general use. If you are going to use something from that forum please read the installation instructions.

In general take some time and look around the forum. Read through postings and try to learn that way. The "scripts" are c# code so you can also get coding books to help you learn. There are also many topics about how to learn c#.

The biggest things you can learn as a coder/admin with RunUO is to read & search the forum before posting, respect others and they will respect you, and above all have patience, nothing happens instantly.

Vitas

Sorceror
kk

listen i can run the game and the server. but it just won't show me stuff... like status and staff. but i alredy ran it once, i don't know how i did that. but if i run it now i can't see anything like stat but the game is running fine. except i can't walk far, put stuff in my bag and more feutures

stormwolff

Knight
Vitas;705542 said:
listen i can run the game and the server. but it just won't show me stuff... like status and staff. but i alredy ran it once, i don't know how i did that. but if i run it now i can't see anything like stat but the game is running fine. except i can't walk far, put stuff in my bag and more feutures

Please don't start getting an attitude with me, I am currently the only person willing to help you out with your questions which can already be easily answered by searching the forum. I like helping and maybe all of this will help somebody else when they have the same issues as you so I will keep at it.

Your most recently posted problem sounds like you are running an older version of RunUO such as 1.0 or 2.0 RC1 with a newer UO client version 6.0.1.7 or higher. I am not a mind reader so without knowing which combination you are using you will have to try to actually do some work yourself to find out.

As I stated above in a previous post in this topic older versions of RunUO only support clients under 6.0.0(or 6.0.1.7 to be exact). If you are not going to run the SVN version you need to be at a lower UO patch such as 5.0.9.1. You can get this version by uninstalling UO, reinstalling, then stopping the UO auto patching process before 6.0.0 is downloaded. The reason for this is that there are many map and packet changes made to the client after 6.0.0 in preparation for UOKR.

At this point you have two options, you can run an older UO client version (#), or you can run a newer RunUO version (SVN 200).

LadyRhia

Wanderer
soundsl like you patched your client all the way once you do that you don't see anything anymore I have been to connect UO they suggest you do not patch past 6.01.6 I hope this tiny bit of information helps you fix your problesm welcome to the world of UO hope you like it :)

Vitas

Sorceror
Ty

Thank's to stormwolff and LadyRhia, i just have one thing.. what do i need to cahnge for people could join me? and if i want to get some people on my shard?
and what i can do now is just a beginning right?
and when i play i don't know how to become a gm? or reise my stat cap. i guess i just need some practice...

stormwolff

Knight
Vitas;705613 said:
Thank's to stormwolff and LadyRhia, i just have one thing.. what do i need to cahnge for people could join me? and if i want to get some people on my shard?
and what i can do now is just a beginning right?

You first need to make the serverlist edit I mentioned in my previous posting using your external IP. You can come back here and post your public ip and people can try to connect for you or just ask a friend to try it.

After you are sure that people can connect to you, you need to start advertising your shard. You can do that by adding it to the connectuo shard list. There are also a bunch of top 100 or 200 lists for UO shards, just google for UO Top Shards or something like that and you should get a fairly good list.

Vitas;705613 said:
and when i play i don't know how to become a gm? or reise my stat cap. i guess i just need some practice...

When you first loaded RunUO in the command prompt (black screen with white text) it should have asked you to enter a username and password. That is your owner/admin account. If you are logging in to the game via the UO client with that username and password you are the owner/admin. Meaning you are already a "GM". Commands start with [, you can generate a list of commands and docs using the [docgen command or by using the doc generation button in the [admin panel. If you want to look like a gm you can either add a GM robe using the [admin command or set your bodyvalue to 0x3DB in [props

Vitas

Sorceror
stormwolff;705704 said:
You first need to make the serverlist edit I mentioned in my previous posting using your external IP. You can come back here and post your public ip and people can try to connect for you or just ask a friend to try it. [props

that is the problem.. i'm not sure how i were i supose to edit that. and were i supose to put my ip. i tryed to put like u said but it send error on script...

stormwolff

Knight
Vitas;705756 said:
that is the problem.. i'm not sure how i were i supose to edit that. and were i supose to put my ip. i tryed to put like u said but it send error on script...

I don't know how to make it any more clear other than doing it for you and if I do that you may never learn.

I am willing to help you work out your issues, post what you have tried, your ip, your serverlist.cs file in code tags, and the error you got when you tried it.

Vitas

Sorceror
public class ServerList
{
/* Address:
* The default setting, a value of 'null', will attempt to detect your IP address automatically:
* private const string Address = null;
* This detection, however, does not work for servers behind routers. If you're running behind a router, put in your IP:
* private const string Address = "12.34.56.78";
* If you need to resolve a DNS host name, you can do that too:
* private const string Address = "MY IP";
*/

public static readonly string Address = null;

public const string ServerName = "MY SHARD NAME";

public static void Initialize()
{
Listener.Port = 2593;

EventSink.ServerList += new ServerListEventHandler( EventSink_ServerList );
}

here what i did to change my ServeList. IS THAT RIGHT?

stormwolff

Knight
Vitas;705777 said:
here what i did to change my ServeList. IS THAT RIGHT?

Nope that is wrong.

The part within the /* to */ is a commented out.

Code:
		/* Address:
		 * The default setting, a value of 'null', will attempt to detect your IP address automatically:
		 * This detection, however, does not work for servers behind routers. If you're running behind a router, put in your IP:
		 */

This part of the file is even read by the compiler.

You need to put your ip just below that in the line above the shard name part.

Code:
public class ServerList
{
/* Address:
*/

public static readonly string Address = "Your Ip Address";

public const string ServerName = "Your shard name";

{
Listener.Port = 2593;

}

Vitas

Sorceror
/* Address:
* private const string Address = "null";
*/

public static readonly string Address = MY IP;

public const string ServerName = "SHARD NAME";

{
Listener.Port = 2593;

}

public static void EventSink_ServerList( ServerListEventArgs e )
{
try
{
IPAddress ipAddr;

if ( Resolve( Address != null && !IsLocalMachine( e.State ) ? Address : Dns.GetHostName(), out ipAddr ) )
e.AddServer( ServerName, new IPEndPoint( ipAddr, Listener.Port ) );
else
e.Rejected = true;
}
catch
{
e.Rejected = true;
}
}

public static bool Resolve( string addr, out IPAddress outValue )
{

if ( IPAddress.TryParse( addr, out outValue ) )
return true;

try
{
IPHostEntry iphe = Dns.GetHostEntry( addr );

if ( iphe.AddressList.Length > 0 )
{
outValue = iphe.AddressList[iphe.AddressList.Length - 1];
return true;
}
}
catch
{
}

this is the things i changed and it send me an error

"error
+ Mis/ServerList.cs:
CS1002: line 23: ; expected

slithers

Sorceror
Vitas;705782 said:
/* Address:
* private const string Address = "null";
*/

public static readonly string Address = MY IP;

public const string ServerName = "SHARD NAME";

{
Listener.Port = 2593;

}

public static void EventSink_ServerList( ServerListEventArgs e )
{
try
{
IPAddress ipAddr;

if ( Resolve( Address != null && !IsLocalMachine( e.State ) ? Address : Dns.GetHostName(), out ipAddr ) )
e.AddServer( ServerName, new IPEndPoint( ipAddr, Listener.Port ) );
else
e.Rejected = true;
}
catch
{
e.Rejected = true;
}
}

public static bool Resolve( string addr, out IPAddress outValue )
{

if ( IPAddress.TryParse( addr, out outValue ) )
return true;

try
{
IPHostEntry iphe = Dns.GetHostEntry( addr );

if ( iphe.AddressList.Length > 0 )
{
outValue = iphe.AddressList[iphe.AddressList.Length - 1];
return true;
}
}
catch
{
}

this is the things i changed and it send me an error

"error
+ Mis/ServerList.cs:
CS1002: line 23: ; expected

what he is saying is that part you have in Red is wrong you need to put the actual ip numbers in there

open IE and goto whatismyip.com and write those numbers down the put those in that script

then try and post here the unedited script if it still doesnt work.

the numbers must be in "".

please post the script and errors in seperate code boxes.
you can do this by pressing the # sign above or by typing:
[ code ] to start code box
[ /code ] to close code box but without the spaces between brackets and characters.

slithers

Sorceror
if you are playing on the same machine that the server is on you can put 127.0.0.1 (i think that is localhost number) or maybe even /localhost ( it has been a long time since i used razor) or even look for a local host setting.

if you are on a different machine but on the same home network you have to put your network ip address for the server in there, such as 192.168.x.x it varies depending on your network

for your friends and you if you are not on the same machine or network you will have to put whatever that ip address from whatsmyip.com is.

the port is defaulted to 2593 no matter what ip address you need.

good luck

Vitas

Sorceror
Cool Thanks!!! i have one thing u know how people put letters instead of ip numbers.. how can i do that