RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*idea!* The War of the Four Kingdoms

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Heheh... Just figured out that if I were to go with my initial region size (200x200), there'd only be about 30 regions by 20 regions...in the entire map. So now, I'm changing the region size to 10x10. Which means there's 640 x 570 regions in trammel and felucca. Including water. Yes. There will be navies.

Any multi designers up the challenge of making the warships?

Controlling water will be difficult. You have to have a warship within two regions in like a lattice formation. That will allow you to control the area inside the lattice, provided no enemy ships are inside it. If enemy ships are inside it, then the waters become contested.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Time for more pictures!

Intelligence Center, Modern:

Intelligence Center, Archaic:

Archery Range, Advanced:

Capitol, Modern:

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Ok. So here's the deal. For the first beta tests, I will not be releasing the source for this project. After I'm satisfied that bugs are worked out, I will release the source in a somewhat crippled version. Why? Because...I dunno.

The first beta tests will be run in this manner -- At about 7 or 8 pm every day, Eastern Time, the server will be turned on. If you are not present at that time, you are out of luck. The server will run until 12 or 1am. At that time, all play ceases, unless some momentous event is in progress. The server will save and be shut down.

Depending on how many players we get, we may open a second server for another set of players, operating on a separate time schedule.

Ranks of staff:
Grand Play Master - administrator over all shards with the game. (me...)
Play Master - administrator of the shard. (Admin)
Play Overseer - assistant to the admin and intercessory for players. (Seer or GM)
Play Moderator - assistant to Overseers. Keeps an eye on things. (GM or Counselor)

Radwen

Wanderer
Well, that'll be in some good amount of time .. wont it ?
Should think more about how to manage de scripting for this project .. we've got a few volonteers.

Manu

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
The first beta tests will be run in this manner -- At about 7 or 8 pm every day, Eastern Time, the server will be turned on. If you are not present at that time, you are out of luck. The server will run until 12 or 1am.

Could you translate that to us ppl from europe? ;) I am at GMT +1 here.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Manu said:
Could you translate that to us ppl from europe? ;) I am at GMT +1 here.

I'm @ GMT -5 (Eastern [according to windows])...that's a 6 hour offset later. So...my 7pm is your 1am.

Like I said, we're gonna have to do a second server for Europe and other places. Probably centered at Germany, even.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Radwen said:
Well, that'll be in some good amount of time .. wont it ?
Should think more about how to manage de scripting for this project .. we've got a few volonteers.

Yeah, I should, shouldn't I...

OK. Right now I've got to really break this down into stuff that needs doing. Rrrrr...hard.

1. We need a custom region system. This is the biggest task ahead of us.
2. We need to know the number of 10x10 regions on every map, NOT including dungeons. This is an aboveground game.
3. We need a Mobile type BaseTroop. I can probably supply that...provided I can find what I've done before.
4. We need a BaseWarship. Inherits from BaseBoat, and has tons of extra props.
5. We need a BaseBuilding. This is inherited from BaseAddon, and has a few extra props.
6. We need designs for gumps for Kings, Prime Ministers, Mayors, Governors, Generals, Army/Division/Battalion/Detachment Commanders. I'll release specs for these later. Just get to work on a basic plan.
7. We need items to designate kingship, generalship...etc.
8. We need a bunch of commands, which I'll specify later.
9. I need help with building all 120+ buildings! If you want to help with that, and are good at deco/Pandora's, IM me at TMSTKSBK, or email me at [email protected] for further info.
10. We need bunches of testers. Call your whole shards to come help at some few months into the future. The first four shard admins to commit 10 players get kingships in the second beta test game.
11. We need to work on formations for units.
12. We need to work on administration of the game and formulas for a bunch of things.
13. We need resources. Wood, Food, Gold, Steel. We need to create really obvious gather points for these resources.
14. We need a BaseCitizen. Should be based off of an NPC, and modified to take commands, such as gather, build, repair, attack, defend.

All helpers on this project will get the full source code to use on their servers. You'll also be in the credits, obviously, along with what you did.

I'm taking the BaseTroop and Formations. Anyone that wants to help in that group, let me know. Anyone that wants something else, let me know, and I'll send you more detailed specs. If no one takes something, I'm doing it. I reserve the right to edit your code to make sure it "fits". I'm also going to come up with some general formulas for gathering, civ points, gold paid into treasury, army size allowed, citizens allowed, morale decay, presence of the king decay, etc. If someone could critique those formulas and come up with any modifications necessary, that'd be good.

Manu

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
I'm @ GMT -5 (Eastern [according to windows])...that's a 6 hour offset later. So...my 7pm is your 1am.

That'll complicate things, escpecially test runs. I usually go to sleep at 11pm, since I have to get up at 5:30am for work...

Like I said, we're gonna have to do a second server for Europe and other places. Probably centered at Germany, even.

Not a problem, you can use my homeserver as a first stage test platform (should handle about 10-20 clients, highest count I had w/o lag was 8 clients), later on I guess we have to get a dedicated machine and run tests twice (once for each average timezone)

Joeku

Lord
Methinks the first alpha testers should get priority over staff positions... :p

***EDIT***
I'll do BaseCitizen, sounds pretty easy. You will have to modify it to define the commands though, hehehe...

TMSTKSBK

Lord
Actually I think I'm gonna do the BaseCitizen and the BaseTroop...after thinking about it, I'm defining a custom mob (BaseWFKMob) to do the heavy lifing involved with this.

Then I'll define the citizen and the troop.

MarciXs

Sorceror
okay idea as idea. May i ask how for example could play like 200 players on shard like this? Britannia ain't that big , and if there were 200 "kingdoms" wow ... I have nothing to say.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
*sigh*

There is no way that 200 kingdoms could exist in this game. The number of possible kings is capped at 20 at any given time. No worries, mate ;)

...I'm more concerned about the lag involved with 3,000 units on the screen at once :confused:...

MarciXs said:
okay idea as idea. May i ask how for example could play like 200 players on shard like this? Britannia ain't that big , and if there were 200 "kingdoms" wow ... I have nothing to say.

13. We need resources. Wood, Food, Gold, Steel. We need to create really obvious gather points for these resources.

For wood, other then trees?For food, other then pigs? or can we keep the trees and pigs...also,Anything specific you want to how these work?

TMSTKSBK

Lord
BeneathTheStars said:
For wood, other then trees?For food, other then pigs? or can we keep the trees and pigs...also,Anything specific you want to how these work?

Farms. And a specific type of tree clump that harvests faster, and disappears when depleted.. heheh.

You can sign me up for testing.

But regards your 'buffs' for certain ranks.... Giving Kings +250hp... And having it so ONLY kings can kill kings.... Well...

Im not really that adept at sciptring, I dont have good internet, I dont have a good PC.
If theres one thing I know... its how to create a balanced PvP enviroment/shard. Ideas... thats my strongest point too, If I could script all the ideas I've had, you'd of heard of me looonnnngg ago :(

Balancing out the Way PvP works amongst other things wouldnt really be a priority at first. Infact it would probably be one of the last things needed to be done, in which case everyone involved in the project would be free to help on it. At the moment I dont have as much free time on my hands due to college, but Im finished this course in December. Should be back working for CoCa-Cola!! woot! in Jan/Feb so ill have much more free time then.
I'd say you'll still be working on the project then due to its depth and all involved in it.

But being in ireland and having dialup, I cant go on the internet till after 6pm. (I could but i aint that rich) So usually, before 6pm, im on my own shard messing about, building it slightly here and there (have been working on it for 6 months) I would rather dedicate that time spent to something big, helping out someone with a script or something.

I'll look into that Addon Generator and Try get Pandoras Box.

MarciXs

Sorceror
TMSTKSBK said:
*sigh*

There is no way that 200 kingdoms could exist in this game. The number of possible kings is capped at 20 at any given time. No worries, mate ;)

...I'm more concerned about the lag involved with 3,000 units on the screen at once :confused:...

no didn't get what i mean. RTS game with 200 players for example...I mean if you had 200 players online what were they role?
20 of them were kings ... but 180 of them were ... ? Does they had to wait till some kingdom dies?