RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ilutzio's Questmaker (.exe scriptwriter)

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Ilutzio's Questmaker (.exe scriptwriter)

Ilutzio's Questmaker

Latest news: I have released the Visual Basic source code and are not updating the project any further, any code you find is free for anyone to use (tho, some small credit would be appreciated :) ). The program/scripts works fine still. I'm just not adding in new features.

What can the program do?
It creates scripts for you, not any scipts but the three that are most important for a quest.
Namely: The quest NPC, the Quest item and the Quest gump (conversation with the player).
You put in simple text into textboxes, hit Save and the program will write the script for you.

On what RUO version does the scripts work?
So far RUO 2.0 RC1.

How do i operate it?
Start the program and read thru the 1-min-tutorial found under Menu -> Help -> Simple userguide. Then try it and if you encounter problems after reading the buildt-in tutorial then this might help you correct some of them: http://www.runuo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=578022&postcount=72
It deals with other issues and in another way then the buildt-in tutorial, thanks alot to Fr€€man for taking the time!

And when all else fails; come back to this thread for additional support.

Any known issues?
When you try to run it and get an error saying "Missing .OCX control", that meens you're missing VB runtimes, you can download em' here: http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/VBRun60sp5.exe

Virus alert
I've scanned the .exe file with AVG Free and found nothing.

Credit to
Vhaerun for letting me use 3 of his scripts as the base foundation.
Anti-Basic for helping with testing and spelling/grammar-mistakes.
Fr€€man for help with beta testing.
Lord_Greywolf for helping with hue customization and bug fixing.

Changelog
Changes from 1.0 to 1.1:
  • The Questgiver now have Int, Str and Dex so it can wear armor.
  • It also have a backpack with gold in it.
  • The output script was cleaned up some, now it's easier to edit.
  • The Questgiver can now be customized more, with clothing and hues.
  • Added in 4 places, tips on how to avoid common errors.
  • Cosmetic revision 1: The userguide was revised slightly.
  • Cosmetic revision 2: Minor things cleaned up here and there.
  • Cosmetic revision 3: The parentwindow background color is now darker.
  • Cosmetic revision 2: Changed two colors in the About window aswell as the loggotype.

Okey, fancy stuff but won't the quests be rather flat?
Well, that depends much on you imagination, can you come up with an exciting storyline? Can you be innovative with the technicall and psychological boundries that keep you "prisoner"?!! Yes! With my program and a donation of $40 you can have all of this AND get a Get-into-heaven-when-you-die free-card as a free bonus!

Nahh, just kidding.
You can do very creative and intresting quests in fact. Let me give some examples:

Quest of type 1: Collect from ground
- Put out spawners in a forest, some spawn monsters and some spawn the Questitem.

Quest of type 2: Collect from hard-to-get-to place
- A Salmoor-Wyrmscale spawns close to an Ancient wyrm in Lvl. 3 Destard, fetch!

Quest of type 3: Collect from monster corpse
- The classic approach, monsters have stolen something and NPC want it back.

Quest of type 4: Buy item from an NPC
- Place an npc in a town far away and put monsters on the way.
- Place one on an island and give the player a boat, not as reward but as the initial item when they start quest.

Quest of type 5: Go to a place
- Give the player a hammer and point him to a dwarf in Wind. The dwarf points him to an anvil in Shame lvl. 1. When the player click the hammer on the anvil he create the questitem. Then he brings it back to the initial NPC for reward.

Quest of type 6: Chain
- The above example is a chained quest, only 2 links in the chain, but still a chain, elaborate.
- I like blacksmithy quests, here's another idea for one: An npc ask u to collect item Y from monster A, Z from B, X from C and W from D. When you turn in Y, you get one Deepsilver ingot, and when you turn in Z you get another (and so on). These ingots can only be used in one place, deep inide an elven wood where an Ancient anvil stands. And the strange metal can only be worked with a special Dwarven hammer. Guess what...? I think you guessed it, getting the hammer is one quest, ingots the other, getting to the anvil the third and defeating the Watcher of the Ancient anvil the forth.

It's a cliché as worn as any but in this case it's true - The possibilities ARE endless!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Ilutzio's Questmaker 1.0.rar
    171.8 KB · Views: 535
  • Ilutzio's Questmaker 1.1.rar
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,428
  • Questmaker1.1_Sourcecode.rar
    340.6 KB · Views: 390

otimpyre

Sorceror
Well done

Dude, you rock thanks. This makes those get & give quests a breeze. However the script release section will probably be flooded with quests now. Hmmm... or vice versa might never see a quest submission again hehehe. :D

On what RUO version does the scripts work?
So far only RUO 2.0 RC1 and RC2.

rc2? i have not seen that for download yet - are you jumpingthe gun a little here?

but i plan on trying it out - should be great ;)

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Hehe, ops! It's just i saw upon submitting that you could choose that the script works on RC2, so without checking the DL section i put it in. I'll change it. =)

Fr€€man

Sorceror
Thank You! This is what everyone needs (me too) :)
Its now much easier to make quests... I am always tried to find good quest now i dont need!

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Glad you like it! =D

Everyone is allowed to come with modification suggestions. And hopefully i have the effort to include them in the next release.
I've thought about a questmonster section and also a questreward section int he program. Anyone else?

Very nice little tool.... It does exactly what I like... builds the basic gump, basic item and basic npc. I am impressed and will likely use it even though i have to clean up the code afterwards... if you are taking requests for improvements I would say code formating, it makes it ever so much easier if the code is properly formated... Awesome work though I look forward to testing out future revisions...

otimpyre

Sorceror
My Ideas

Add an option for make quest one time per player/per account/ or unlimited.

Another idea is make an option for "quest is progressive"
after turn in gump2
get needed items
after turn in gump3
get needed items
after turn in gump 4 ect ect
This would allow for epic type quests.
Probably difficult to script but, just a wish/suggestion.

Love the .exe as is tho great job.

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Silverwolfe wrote:
if you are taking requests for improvements I would say code formating, it makes it ever so much easier if the code is properly formated...
Yes, i am taking requests. =)
And your idea about proper formating is not bad, it would take some more work however and i am not sure about how VB handle tab-stops and/or multiple spaces. I will surely look into it thou!

otimpyre wrote:
Add an option for make quest one time per player/per account/ or unlimited.

Another idea is make an option for "quest is progressive"
That limitation thing is a great idea, i've achually thought about it but i'm not to good with arraylists and such. =(

Your other idea about - leave item - gump2 - leave next item - gump 3, is good but as you say, will be very hard to do. I shall try to come up with a good, and not to complex, method thou!

Fr€€man

Sorceror
Thanks for Ilutzio and his Quest Maker

Heres some examples i made with this program :)
it is working fine (almost)
You see the image where you need place Nina the tavern keeper
You can place Don & Fisherman where you wan't

Installing: Place somewhere in scripts folder.

Have fun!

Fr€€man

Sorceror
When i made these quests i got 2 errors because these lines have name Billie QuestGump (I changed all and read all):(

Code:
if ( ! mobile.HasGump( typeof( [COLOR="Red"]BillieQuestGump[/COLOR] ) ) ){
mobile.SendGump( new [COLOR="Red"]BillieQuestGump[/COLOR]( mobile ));}}}}

Heres from my script (I changed it myself)

Code:
if ( ! mobile.HasGump( typeof( [COLOR="Red"]JoeTheFishermanGump[/COLOR] ) ) ){
mobile.SendGump( new [COLOR="Red"]JoeTheFishermanGump[/COLOR]( mobile ));}}}}

But the program is still working fine this is not big bug i think :)

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Ahh, now i konw why!
After you made the questgump and saved it, you closed the Questgump window, you must leave it open untill you have saved the Questgiver script. I will change that thou, so you can close any window and not get errors.
Tnx for the help!

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Fr€€man said:
No its working fine but theres 2 Name(s) line and the name will be then "the piper"

Ahh i see, your really good at finding bugs, tnx alot for that!
I'm updating it now!