RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just wondering if...

T

Triant

if you are gonna make an mmo.. you should really making something new... something like MMORPGRTSFPS with puzzles and tetris!

Anyways RPG, RTS, FPS is an needed combination in my eyes :p the more 3 letter things you put in there the better... ohh and make an adult expansion set with alot of kinky weird stuff and you will have my money!

TMSTKSBK

Lord
RPGRTSFPS is actually a good idea. Don't think anyone has done it yet (and if they have, they haven't done it well, because I haven't heard of it).

TMSTKSBK;746758 said:
RPGRTSFPS is actually a good idea. Don't think anyone has done it yet (and if they have, they haven't done it well, because I haven't heard of it).
Mixing fps with rpg with rts is like mixing your coffee with your coke and then mixing that with iced tea.

some things are just better experienced seperately, imo.

Anti-Basic;746763 said:
Mixing fps with rpg with rts is like mixing your coffee with your coke and then mixing that with iced tea.

some things are just better experienced seperately, imo.
You had me excited until you added iced tea...

zoo13york

Wanderer
yes

Yes, just for the love of god keep it medievel/ultima-based, I cant stand all the sci fi/junk out there.

The guy that talked about adult themes has hit it on the spot. Most of us are mid-twenties now, and our generation loves the kinky $%it...

Personally IMO the future in MMO gaming is webbased... something like Neopets, but medievel/adult based. Blood, gore, Pro4titution, gambling, drugs, cultivation etc etc basically the REAL world, but with very few nice and fuzzy things.

Surrealism is good too.

Suil Ban;746175 said:
MMORPGs are supposed to be immersive. If you want to perform a tedious task for e-glory, you can play a Flash game. If you want to immerse yourself in a virtual world, you should be prepared to face similar risks to those in the real world, despite how realistic the means to the end are.

An MMORPG is Chrono Trigger. What you're asking for is WarioWare.

Maybe when you become an adult and have real life obligations you'll understand that not everyone has 7 hours a day to devote to a video game. I work part time, go to school full time, and I'm working towards a masters. So pardon the fuck out of me if, when I do get time to play a video game, I want to be able to do something besides have some adolescent asshole camp me over and over because he's got every single uber item under the sun.

If you want such hardcore realism go try to kill someone IRL. How's that sound you little snot nosed bastard?

Rabban

Sorceror
Note: If you're just skimming, try to read the first sentence or two of each point to get a vague summary of each suggestion.

Suggestions:
1) Many concepts of Darkfall are cool (YouTube - Darkfall is coming). At the rate they're going (apparently they've been working for 6+ years), you could probably implement a clone game in a year or two and beat them to production ;-)

2) VR is the future. Be the ones to bring it to MMO's (even if it's in a limited form due to current crappy networks and hardware). Make it compatable with keyboard/mouse (though limited). Of course all VR equipment would be USB or other standard PC plug (and you could probably make decent money just on the equipment sales).

3) Base it on an existing book (though you'd probably have to get permission). This would give you a small increase in player base of the fans of the book and would only have you write a small bridge of storyline. For Sci FI, Dune by Frank Herbert is popular and hasn't been done in an MMO :-P Another option would be the Otherland series by Tad Williams (which would be kind of funny because part of the story line is being trapped in a VR world and having to go through different areas). As for fantasy, another medieval setting would be Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series (humans, and other races).

4) Regardless of what you do, a point that Darkfall emphasizes is freedom to do what you want. I think this has helped prolong the life of UO, and would make a game playable for the next 10+ years if there was enough freedom.

5) A unique idea that hasn't been put in an MMO that I know of yet is death. Permanent death. If a player dies, that's it. Time to make a new character. The Otherland book depicts a VR game that has it. Deaths are "reviewable" to make sure it wasn't a game glitch that caused the death. This would add an entirely new aspect to how you organize your play in the game.

6) Closely related to point 5, Characters could also have a certain lifespan (based on their race?). Of course, I would think it would be "extremely" long (five real life years? or some crazy number of play time). This would add the effect of having veteran players not get too bored because they will eventually die and need to make a new character. You could add the aspect of "wills" and graves (also for point 5) so that you could retain all or part of your posessions, and also leave your mark on the world. Players would compete who could be the oldest character on the server. If you used play time, this would inhibit people form just sitting idle while logged in, and/or macroing on their main.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
RTS/FPS can be done. It would definitely be /odd/, but doable. You command a unit while simultaneously fighting in a first-person view. Alternatively, you can leave your "unit" and work from a third-person viewpoint to command large bodies of units.

RPG elements come in with the concept of multiple factions, allowing the player to fill a role inside the faction.

My main complaint with most games is that they're not "big" enough.
Obilivion is good, but you can't amass or command large armies in a field of battle, or interface with other players to do things.
UO is good, but the graphics are pretty bad, and you still can't work with large numbers of NPCs.
SimCity * is good, but it has no battle or conquest elements, and the buildings aren't customizable enough (and I don't mean visually).
AoE */EE1 are good, but they have no elements of being a single unit on the field working as part of a larger civilization, and the scope isn't epic enough.

So really, what I'd probably quit my job and stay home playing forever is:
MMOTSECS - MMO Tactical, Strategic, and Economic Civilization Simulation.

Becase it's teh sechs.

J MaNN

Wanderer
TMSTKSBK;747124 said:
RTS/FPS can be done. It would definitely be /odd/, but doable. You command unit while simultaneously fighting in a first-person view. Alternatively, you can leave your "unit" and work from a third-person viewpoint to command large bodies of units.

RPG elements come in with the concept of multiple factions, allowing the player to fill a role inside the faction.

My main complaint with most games is that they're not "big" enough.
Obilivion is good, but you can't amass or command large armies in a field of battle, or interface with other players to do things.
UO is good, but the graphics are pretty bad, and you still can't work with large numbers of NPCs.
SimCity * is good, but it has no battle or conquest elements, and the buildings aren't customizable enough (and I don't mean visually).
AoE */EE1 are good, but they have no elements of being a single unit on the field working as part of a larger civilization, and the scope isn't epic enough.

So really, what I'd probably quit my job and stay home playing forever is:
MMOTSECS - MMO Tactical, Strategic, and Economic Civilization Simulation.

Becase it's teh sechs.

You do that.

Two Wolves

Knight
A realistic wolf RP/simulation,
Home of the Underdogs - Entry: Wolf
Graphics acutely resembles UO quite closely.

Newly released 3D multi-player Wolf simulation,
WolfQuest
(National Science Foundation Grant)

There are realistic Wolf players out there. I would guess about one hundred thousand. They are focused mainly on RP forums and IRC. This RP format has been refined over the past ten to twelve years. There are some good ways to wrap playable game design around this that involves permanent death and reincarnation.
{ The Wolf Spirits Pack - in spirit we are free }
Example site.

Zaphieon

Wanderer
I personally have been waiting for darkfall to come out ... forever it seems.. since back when i was playing AC under JoV's monarchy Patyrn.. that was like what. 5-6 yrs? maybe longer.. time kinda slips away.. so if you guys started on a new project man.. it might break my heart to drowl over another idea for that long.