RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just wondering if...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Kiwi;745492 said:
I will just say that the reason this community exists in the first place is because the majority of the people here want a game that probably won't sell commercially. It would be good, don't get me wrong, but the masses don't want good. On the other hand if you're doing it not-for-profit then it's a different story.

I think you're completely off base in how you're pegging the RunUO Community.

As I see it this community exists because they love a game that is no longer available nor maintained. RunUO has done our best to provide that game but in the end it's still a game that is over a decade old.

This *could* and I stress... could... because there's nothing that says we will do this be our chance to offer a game that would last forever and give players what they want :)

Kiwi

Knight
Ryan;745493 said:

As I see it this community exists because they love a game that is no longer available nor maintained. RunUO has done our best to provide that game but in the end it's still a game that is over a decade old.

This *could* and I stress... could... because there's nothing that says we will do this be our chance to offer a game that would last forever and give players what they want :)

I still say over half the active user base here just wants to PK the shit out of each other.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Ryan;745490 said:
I know I kind of baited you and then left you to wonder... which I did intentionally... I wanted to see how the community handled the idea/discussion.

I just wanted to let you know I have been approached about the idea and am considering it :)

Regardless... I'm honestly not 100% conviced (though I am 99%) it would be an MMO but there probably is a good chance.

Regardless..

The one thing I wont do is become a sell-out to create a game. We'll see where it goes :)

What kind of game would you guys be interested in? Genre, Playstyle..

If you could create you own game based on the current games out there with or without your personal touches what would it be?

One based on RIFTS.......D&D gets all kinds of credit due to it's popularity but there are other great Table Top RPG's out there that deserve some luvs.

For those that haven't heard of Rifts here's a Wikipedia link with some Info.

Rifts (role-playing game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Tribal

Wanderer
i had an idea for a game but its kinda off topic from uo and really not hav ne thing to do with magic and castles at all just hear me out

i was watching this dogfighting thing on discovery channel and thought of a cool gameplay idea.. you would start out with a normal plane and could choose ur class (a fighter, a stealther bomber, a carrier, etc) and would be able to equip your plane with better gear the more experience/money u get (havent thought about it too much) and u would be able to make ur own base for ur plane to land (this is just so people who like building things could have an interest in this game ie uo houses but in airfield form) u could customize the base to ur own style start a fleet of planes with ur mates and form an airforce

again just an idea

(and there are probably heaps of spelling errors and run on sentences im tired and dont care at all)

Kheldar

Sorceror
depending on how u do it id be interested in almost any type of fantasy/midevil times gameplay. or games based on books like wheel of time, M.Y.T.H. (would make a wierd game), these are just examples even a game based of something like this could be boring it just depends on what u do with the concept in the game. an example is the fact that i like the naruto mangas and anime but i think the naruto games suck (just my opinion my brother loves em).

Hammerhand

Knight
Originally Posted by Ryan
The one thing I wont do is become a sell-out to create a game. We'll see where it goes
Never sell-out, not in something you believe in. Could we sell.. I dunno Joeku maybe? Or Radwen? j/k guys. :D Seriously tho, I would love to see just what the RunUO team could come up with. I never played on OSI, but I HAVE been playing Ultima since the very beginning. Had an old Commodore64 (only it was brand new then) with all the nifty, extremely slo-loading, almost non-existant graphics, the black w/white outline dungeons, cheesy synth music.... oh those were the days. Polygon graphics where if you got to just the right spot, part of you was merged with part of the monster, or door, or wall. This has been multitudes better and I think you folks could do a totally awesome game on your own. My hats off to you. :D

Since we're all here because of Ultima Online, why not make it a fantasy style mmo? That's clearly what a good portion of us are into (unless it's just coding :p).

Whatever idea you choose, you can certainly get a handful of opinions / unique ideas for the game out of the users here at RunUO alone.

IHaveRegistered;745594 said:
Since we're all here because of Ultima Online, why not make it a fantasy style mmo? That's clearly what a good portion of us are into (unless it's just coding :p).

Whatever idea you choose, you can certainly get a handful of opinions / unique ideas for the game out of the users here at RunUO alone.

The whole D&D-esque genre has been recreated numerous times. I'd really like to see something like Tabula Rasa - a space/futuristic/tech shooter MMO, but with a better commitment to PvE content and well thought out PvP system. Every zone in TR had nothing but rebranded mobs with the same model and different hued textures, and a lackluster PvP system that was probably the worst I've to endure.

Scarand

Wanderer
Ryan;745493 said:

an mmorpg, with 3d graphics, loosely based on Pre-UOR UO. I'm actually working on one myself, but with a game engine. I'm sure you'd probably have the entire thing created from scratch using your own engine right? If not, I'm sure you have enough money to afford something like heroengine.

TheOutkastDev;745690 said:
The whole D&D-esque genre has been recreated numerous times. I'd really like to see something like Tabula Rasa - a space/futuristic/tech shooter MMO, but with a better commitment to PvE content and well thought out PvP system. Every zone in TR had nothing but rebranded mobs with the same model and different hued textures, and a lackluster PvP system that was probably the worst I've to endure.
So... Anarchy Online? :rolleyes:

Johabius

Knight
Ryan;745490 said:
What kind of game would you guys be interested in? Genre, Playstyle..
Something to do with the different International Intelligence Organizations (fictionalized or based on real world organizations) would make an interesting MMORPG, I think.

I probably would not be only because it would most likely be 3d.

However if it were an iso view high detail 2d game with smooth control then yes very.

Seven

Sorceror
I'll play for sure. :)

I haven't decided on what Genre yet... but I'll play reguardless what it is. :D

psz

Administrator
Kiwi;745494 said:
I still say over half the active user base here just wants to PK the shit out of each other.

Funny you should say that.... Went over some of my old notes for my aforementioned idea, and PKers would actually love it.

Non-PKers... Not so sure.

(And I'm a Trammy on UO!)

slithers

Sorceror
Science Fiction

SF based MMO for sure. I'm a mech guy so it would have to include mechs. You could have pilots, mechanics, doctors, etc... I would love to see a game that sticks to a role based system. Lot's of games come out with classes that initially have a role to fill but because doctors cant out pvp juggernauts everything gets reconfigured to be the same class with different animations.

MarciXs

Sorceror
Just make something like Runuo client then. You know a game that is something like Uo in a way but in 3d.
Anyways , my point is, make a game "engine" that can be "modded" to game whatever we want. Like, Make a good engine, which supports some 3d formats ,sound and all what's needed for basic game , and ofcourse support for new stuff as well. Give it out empty just like that, no models no art , nothing , some demo models in a plain map maybe.And build your own game on it. It's like you did with uogamers.

J MaNN

Wanderer
MarciXs;745845 said:
Just make something like Runuo client then. You know a game that is something like Uo in a way but in 3d.
Anyways , my point is, make a game "engine" that can be "modded" to game whatever we want. Like, Make a good engine, which supports some 3d formats ,sound and all what's needed for basic game , and ofcourse support for new stuff as well. Give it out empty just like that, no models no art , nothing , some demo models in a plain map maybe.And build your own game on it. It's like you did with uogamers.

That wouldn't be fun for people without programming experience. (if i get what your saying correctly)