RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My shard is dead

Kamron

Knight
My shard is dead

Well it seems that my shard is gone forever :\ *sigh*. The backups of the shard caused the server to run out of hard drive space. Therefore, once it attempted to save, it crashed and the save was therefore not completed. Okay, well lets use one of my many backups to fix it since that was the cause to begin with ;) There is a problem.... the hardware owner decided to fix the problem and deleted all backups including crash backups except for the last crash. So I decided to use the crash backup.... however before it saved, it attempted to move the files and there wasn't enough room, so that crash save is incomplete as well.
Of course, my local backups are outdated due to alot of serialization changes that they are not loadable.

The server duals as a website as well with a few services that run massive logs. Therefore every second it runs, it is writing to the hard drive, overwriting any possibility of recovery of those files. On top of that, the chance of finding a save out of the hundreds which is not outdated is slim.

I have successfully lost my shard forever. *sigh* And the worst part is, that it is 1 full year of work that I did 95% of, which is completely gone. Oh ya, and the players loose their chars/accounts/items lol.

newton

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:
Oh ya, and the players loose their chars/accounts/items lol.
I would have placed the 'lol' a little better than that.

As for the thread itself; if you didn't have daily offsite backups it's your own fault, sucks you had to learn it the hard way though.

Kamron

Knight
newton said:
I would have placed the 'lol' a little better than that.

As for the thread itself; if you didn't have daily offsite backups it's your own fault, sucks you had to learn it the hard way though.

I had it placed properly (I think?). I was laughing at the fact that players lost their stuff too, but it means nothing compared to to work that I put into the shard.

It was difficult enough to get players.... players that would beta test... not complain... But it was even worse to get staff. I have alot of trust issues so hiring spawn monkeys, or gm-kiddos, is a big no-no for me. So basically I did most of the work, including spawning the world by hand (4,000 spawners last I checked).

mblicata

Wanderer
Sorry to hear that, losing things that you've worked really hard on sucks majorly. Hopefully things work out somehow though. Everything usually always works out in the end. I'd give you a cookie as well, but you already have two. :/ Oh, I know! *Gives glass of milk*

Jeff

Lord
Could be worse, you see what happened when Keanu Reeves in Johnny Mnemonic? He ran outta space and almost died.

Jeff

Lord
newton said:
Okay, well in any case you can always recover the data if you didn't write over it. It's always worth a shot;

http://shsc.info/DataRecovery
Blah just talk to me if you wanna go down that route, thats what i do for a living and my company does jobs that the big companies( Ontrack, Drive Savers ) cant do.

Alari

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:
I do but due to serialization changes, they are worthless... I only take local backups every week.

It still might be worth an attempt to get it working again. If you have a copy of the changes you made to the scripts, or can re-do the changes to avoid de/serialization problems. You can always start over too, though it may be a lot of work it could be an opportunity to 'wipe the slate clean' and fix problems that were too dug-in. However it goes, good luck.

Asmir3

Sorceror
Man dont give up i love your shard all that time i worked for you was so kool. I learned a lot from you it was so kool working for you. Im not mad on the work that i did im just mad that i wont be able to work with you no more. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Kamron

Knight
Alari said:
It still might be worth an attempt to get it working again. If you have a copy of the changes you made to the scripts, or can re-do the changes to avoid de/serialization problems. You can always start over too, though it may be a lot of work it could be an opportunity to 'wipe the slate clean' and fix problems that were too dug-in. However it goes, good luck.

I don't have records of my serializations because I did too much, even in the past week.

Kamron

Knight
Sorious said:
Blah just talk to me if you wanna go down that route, thats what i do for a living and my company does jobs that the big companies( Ontrack, Drive Savers ) cant do.

That would be wonderful, because thats the route I am looking to go down as of now. I have nothing else except for the possibility of recovering lost data.

Azmodaeus

Wanderer
Ran out of HD space?

I know exactly how you feel about losing your hard-earned data...
My question is, how much space did your server take up? 50 gigz?
You can get a used Dell PC that'll hold 50+ simultanious players with NO LAG for about $200 with a 60g HD?
$200 = Two-hundred measly dollahz.
It'll take you 50 years to fill up a 60g HD with just runnin' a UO server, lol
I'll make you a deal:
I'll go mow a lawn for you and give you your 1st $30 towards a good used PC, lol

I mean, I'm sorry, but I keep seeing stuff like, "My PC can't handle a server". <-----WTF you runnin'?! An ol' IBM?!
I can stick a hamster in a wheel to power a PC that'll run a UO server lol

Ravatar

Knight
If you've been doing serialization correctly, running an old save on your current code shouldn't be much of a problem...

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ravatar said:
If you've been doing serialization correctly, running an old save on your current code shouldn't be much of a problem...

If he doesn't remember what he did, then how can he even begin to start.

If you can't see why he would have trouble doing that....