RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My shard is dead

Kamron

Knight
In terms of making weekly updates, due to real life stuff, I wasn't able to make a backup in the past week or two. Furthermore, because of real life stuff, I wasn't able to keep the backups folder clean so that the drive didn't run out of space.

I do have a backup from when the server first was put up, but that would require me to decompile my own core file (cause I never put the core source up), and then winmerge my scripts to find serialization changes, and then make the appropriate changes to make it work. This would take hours to put back a world which was not even close to what I have now, with close to no players. I don't believe its worth it.

Arcanus

Wanderer
Good luck with this bro. I know the feeling of loosing a shard you worked very hard for. Had lost mine not long before Christmas due to a serious puter crash that took out 2 hard drives.

Like you, I was always editing and adding onto the shard, so any previous backups were pretty much pointless unless I wanted to go back a good month or more. But this time I back up everything a bit diffrently.

Anyways, I hope you get back on your feet. I'd hate to loose a very creative mind from the community due to a lost shard and lack of intrest.

As one said here, you at very least would know more of what you would and wouldnt do the second time around, just dont loose intrest in your passion.

Good Luck!

Kamron

Knight
thanks.. well as a result, starting up again has been difficult. I decided not to spawn the shard by hand. So I fixed up gigaspawner (about 8 or so bugs), so that I can convert/load all of premium spawners files at once. Then I manually changed the tokuno vendors to work with mine.

I still don't understand why premium spawner has non-OSI mobiles like ice hound, etc. Or did I miss something? Well before I can save my spawns, I have to get rid of those that don't work... meaning yet more fixing of gigaspawner ;)

Alari

Wanderer
I've been using XMLSpawner and the stand-alone Spawn Editor, have had good luck with that, though I do wish that XMLSpawner supported 'round' spawn areas as well as rectangular ones. (Heh, maybe it does, been a while since I updated the scripts my shard uses.)

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ravatar said:
I was the bigger person for the greater part of two years. But thats how the forums got in the state that they're in now, allowing horrible support without a second thought.

This is why we now have a problem...

I wasn't trying to argue, I was trying to make to point outg I thought was clear, he just didn't have backups he could work with. You have been active for a good part of that 2 years, so lets not act like watching everything that happen here, because that wouldn't be the entire truth.

I am done with this discussion...

I wasnt aware you had an actual server up mate.

I would have definitly gave it a look, you're definitly one of my favourite scripters and forum members here, lol.

Sorry to hear about the loss. At least you still have your scripts folder.. If you had lost that somehow too, you'd be really pissed off wouldnt you?

Im sure theres a lot of people who would like to get hold of all your scripts and have a look at them hehe....

Just remember.... "It could have been worse" :D
ICQ me the login details sometime.

Hand spawning the world isnt that necessary really. I know you probably like doing it yourself so you know 100% where everything is and how it all works.

You'll get to see how dedicated and loyal some of your players are >:)

Kamron

Knight
I lost all of my players unfortunately, and because of this I have decided to tell the ones that remain (2 or 3 not including the 3 staff I have), to go to Divinity. I have so many problems with my scripts, especially now that I am coding a new spawner system, and I have no access to my server anymore so I don't think I can provide a shard anymore.
Ultima Online is not fun anymore, so I don't want to pass that problem onto others (eg. players).

HellRazor

Knight
Sorry to hear about your loss XxSp1DERxX. I know how disheartening it must be to lose all that work (and now, all this time as well). But remember that none of it is anything that can't be re-done or replaced (and possibly even improved in the process)! This might also be a opportunity to make any major system changes you may have been mulling over.

Don't let it get you down and keep your chin up, it sounds like you're already digging in to repair the damage and it will be behind you in no time!

Kamron

Knight
Last night I posted a system that I have redone 5 or 6 times in the past 6 years (for Sphere and RunUO), my Stargate System. It was a very dear system to me and a symbol of my shard. I posted it because I didn't want my scripts to rot due to not having a shard. I am very sad, but decided to boost myself, and help others by releasing something that people may enjoy.

It was removed before I could wake up for unknown reasons. I speculate due to requiring the .NET framework 2.0 (core mod?). I am sorry for anyone who replied, as I was not able to read your replies. I am also sorry for anyone who wanted to download it and never got a chance.
I will NOT be releasing anymore of my scripts, especially the ones from my shard.

Greystar

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:
Last night I posted a system that I have redone 5 or 6 times in the past 6 years (for Sphere and RunUO), my Stargate System. It was a very dear system to me and a symbol of my shard. I posted it because I didn't want my scripts to rot due to not having a shard. I am very sad, but decided to boost myself, and help others by releasing something that people may enjoy.

It was removed before I could wake up for unknown reasons. I speculate due to requiring the .NET framework 2.0 (core mod?). I am sorry for anyone who replied, as I was not able to read your replies. I am also sorry for anyone who wanted to download it and never got a chance.
I will NOT be releasing anymore of my scripts, especially the ones from my shard.

Well Im glad I was able to download it before it was removed then.

Alari

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:

I'm sorry your script vanished, but I ask you to please consider that it may very well be a glitch in the board system, rather than deliberate action by a moderator. You could always PM a moderator and ask if it was deleted, and if so, why.

I had the same thing happen to me, a script I posted vanished, and there was no reason given for why it was deleted. Though apparently it was removed by a mod, I couldn't get any reason why. Maybe we've got a rogue moderator, bring it to the attention of a mod you trust. It could just be a bug in the forum software, I'd be sad if you decided to stop posting because of that.

Greystar

Wanderer
Alari said:
I'm sorry your script vanished, but I ask you to please consider that it may very well be a glitch in the board system, rather than deliberate action by a moderator. You could always PM a moderator and ask if it was deleted, and if so, why.

I had the same thing happen to me, a script I posted vanished, and there was no reason given for why it was deleted. Though apparently it was removed by a mod, I couldn't get any reason why. Maybe we've got a rogue moderator, bring it to the attention of a mod you trust. It could just be a bug in the forum software, I'd be sad if you decided to stop posting because of that.

It might have been because his script required a core compatible with .Net Framework 2.0... meaning people would have to recompile the core in order to use his script, but that would be a silly reason to delete a post.

Alari

Wanderer
Greystar said:
It might have been because his script required a core compatible with .Net Framework 2.0... meaning people would have to recompile the core in order to use his script, but that would be a silly reason to delete a post.

... Since RunUO 2.0 will use .NET 2.0? :> As soon as that comes out, no more core recompile.

Kamron

Knight
It was deleted by Asayre due to assumptions made based on its content. I do not want to go into detail, however this does not change the fact that I will not repost it, nor will I be posting anything else of value again.