RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My shard is dead

Kamron

Knight
The server is a Quad P4 Xeon 3.0ghz with 4GB ECC RAM and dual raid SCSI 72GB drives. I believe it had 18GB left on the drive with RunUO. It filled up because the way I coded backups makes unlimited backups (I used to have staff who did [save until the sun came up after they wiped my shard... so I am paranoid now).

A save folder is 13-15MB.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:
The server is a Quad P4 Xeon 3.0ghz with 4GB ECC RAM and dual raid SCSI 72GB drives. I believe it had 18GB left on the drive with RunUO. It filled up because the way I coded backups makes unlimited backups (I used to have staff who did [save until the sun came up after they wiped my shard... so I am paranoid now).

You should check how much free space you have, then slap the host for doing what he did.

Alari

Wanderer
XxSP1DERxX said:

A little too late now, and not to pimp my own thread, but this AutoSave modification sets aside one backup a day while still cycling through the Automatic backups. The drive still fills up, just not as fast. Maybe it'll help someone else. Also you can find cheap tape backup drives on Ebay.

... If you keep unlimited backups, and the server crashes when the disk fills up, couldn't a rogue staff member just [save until the server crashed?

Greystar

Wanderer
Alari said:
A little too late now, and not to pimp my own thread, but this AutoSave modification sets aside one backup a day while still cycling through the Automatic backups. The drive still fills up, just not as fast. Maybe it'll help someone else. Also you can find cheap tape backup drives on Ebay.

... If you keep unlimited backups, and the server crashes when the disk fills up, couldn't a rogue staff member just [save until the server crashed?

Heh, rogue staff members is the exact reason why I quit having staff besides myself OR friends that I've known forever.

Alari

Wanderer
Greystar said:
Heh, rogue staff members is the exact reason why I quit having staff besides myself OR friends that I've known forever.

I hear you. If I ever make my shard public, I plan to only allow people I don't know to become Counselors at most, and to restrict Counselors from doing any staff functions except interacting with the page queue. :>

XuriDabur

Sorceror
On the bright(er) side, XxSP1DERxX, you now have quite a lot of experience running a shard, and you can start over fresh avoiding all the mistakes you did (if you did any) the first time around, and make an even better shard :p

Kamron

Knight
Alari said:

The point is that if that does happen, then i can always use a backup from before they did the damage. But it wouldn't work if someone deletes all of my backups :\

Courageous

Wanderer
You should check how much free space you have, then slap the host for doing what he did.

*shrug* If it was a professional hosting service, and it were me, he'd be needing an attorney.

C//

Jeff

Lord
XxSP1DERxX said:
That would be wonderful, because thats the route I am looking to go down as of now. I have nothing else except for the possibility of recovering lost data.
Well if the stuff is deleted and you need to get it back, I would say dont use that hdd at all, the more its used the less chance you have at recovering the data. Send me a PM of exactly what the details are and ill work your through what your need to do.

Kamron

Knight
It cannot be unplugged. The server is used by a company for a website.

Sorious, if you want you can ICQ me, or private message me your AIM and I can contact you.

Ravatar

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
If he doesn't remember what he did, then how can he even begin to start.

If you can't see why he would have trouble doing that....

Wouldn't it be logical to store a backup of your RunUO code and scripts along with the world backup he did each week? I'm under the assumption he did this at least once.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ravatar said:
Wouldn't it be logical to store a backup of your RunUO code and scripts along with the world backup he did each week? I'm under the assumption he did this at least once.

He already said he cannot remember what he changed since his last backup he had. I officialy request you not reply to my posts unless you have to. Whats there to argue about, he doesn't remember so he can't use the backup he has. Why are you talking about what would be logical, he said he did that, why are you always trying to argue with me?

Your having this discussion with the wrong person, I am not going to entertain your sick fetish and continue this lame argument. I have done nothing wrong, but point out the backups he does match the scripts he has. If you have a problem with this, please take it up with me in private, I am tired of having this discussion in public. You time and time again, point out small flaws in something I said, I am not going to allow you to treat me like garbage anymore.

I don't care what I did in the past, I only care what I am doing now, and I am going to handle this right.

arul

Sorceror
Ravatar said:
thank god for SVN

Ravatar

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
He already said he cannot remember what he changed since his last backup he had. I officialy request you not reply to my posts unless you have to. Whats there to argue about, he doesn't remember so he can't use the backup he has. Why are you talking about what would be logical, he said he did that, why are you always trying to argue with me?

Your having this discussion with the wrong person, I am not going to entertain your sick fetish and continue this lame argument. I have done nothing wrong, but point out the backups he does match the scripts he has. If you have a problem with this, please take it up with me in private, I am tired of having this discussion in public. You time and time again, point out small flaws in something I said, I am not going to allow you to treat me like garbage anymore.

I don't care what I did in the past, I only care what I am doing now, and I am going to handle this right.

You replied to my first post in this thread. If you don't want me to reply to your posts, don't include me in them. I've reported your post for being off-topic and attempting to start an argument.

My question was whether he backed up his RunUO install recently at the same time he did a backup. If he did, then the very worst case scenario would be a 1-2 week revert, where he would simply start up the old copy of RunUO. If he hasn't changed too much since the last time he backed up, it's possible he could work through the serialization problems one by one (I'm sure members here wouldn't have a problem helping him out with a few of the problems).

Jeff

Lord
Ravatar said:
You replied to my first post in this thread. If you don't want me to reply to your posts, don't include me in them. I've reported your post for being off-topic and attempting to start an argument.

My question was whether he backed up his RunUO install recently at the same time he did a backup. If he did, then the very worst case scenario would be a 1-2 week revert, where he would simply start up the old copy of RunUO. If he hasn't changed too much since the last time he backed up, it's possible he could work through the serialization problems one by one (I'm sure members here wouldn't have a problem helping him out with a few of the problems).
You 2 need to seriously kiss and makeup.

Jeff

Lord
Ravatar said:
I can only handle so much crap support on these forums.
How about we be a little more mature about it and just ignore those we dislike or think are way off? Just provide the info you assume or know is correct and let the person asking for help decide who they want to believe, if the person they chose was wrong, well live and learn.

Ravatar

Knight
Sorious said:
How about we be a little more mature about it and just ignore those we dislike or think are way off? Just provide the info you assume or know is correct and let the person asking for help decide who they want to believe, if the person they chose was wrong, well live and learn.

I was the bigger person for the greater part of two years. But thats how the forums got in the state that they're in now, allowing horrible support without a second thought.

Jeff

Lord
Ravatar said:
I was the bigger person for the greater part of two years. But thats how the forums got in the state that they're in now, allowing horrible support without a second thought.
No, the forums are in the state they are in cause no one (until daat) monitored them. and if they did it was on a rare basis.