RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old movies Mangler

A_Li_N

Knight
Anti-Basic said:
Yeah, well I say teach Neither in schools. Let them pray if they want, thats their right as a human being, but dont teach Intelligent Design and dont teach Evolution. Yeah Evolution is a scientific theory and thus is usually taught in science, but that doesn't mean you should have kids giving up their respective faiths because the teacher, who they see as an authority figure is teaching that the religion they were raised in is wrong. It is a decision they should make on their own.

That being said, parents should not try and force religion down their throats either. Comments like "You better belive in god or you're going to hell" "Don't belive that man from monkey nonsense" Or "straighten up and stop that blasphemous talk or I'm kicking you out" isnt letting your child make his own decision either. I am an atheist, I belive in evolution to some extent, yet my mother thinks I am christian again, because it is one of the conditions to liove under her roof. That is very wrong, imo.
I kinda agree, but kinda disagree, too. I think they should teach both and preach neither. Teaching would give everyone more information to make informed decisions on how they want to live their lives.

Yiffi

Wanderer
This thread got derailed very quickly. Lol all by the original author to boot. Talking about a horror movie and then into the creationism and eveolution argument.

Draegen you kind of acted like a jack ass on this one.

But about the movie.
Yeah I have seen it. And your forgetting that horror movies have "evolved" and changed through time as well.

Horror use to be more halloween like. Fun, gross, and completely out there. It was something you went to for something to laugh and cringe at. There is a reason Freddy was more funny than scary. Most horror movies at this time had similar comedic factors. And the mangler was no exception. And wait I think even Rogert England (the actor that plays Freddy) was in this one as well.

It wasn't all the psycological horror you get these days. About who can fuck with your head and leave a person insane. There was some of that. But most of it was all gore and fun.

So take it with that in mind and go have a laugh. =] The classics can always be fun.

Johabius

Knight
The Mangler is one of my least favorite SK adaptations, along with Graveyard Shift. Coincidentally both those movies are adaptations of short stories in the same collection "Night Shift"
Favorite SK adaptations are Stand By Me, based on his short story "The Body", Shawshank Redemption, based on his short story "Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption", and The Green Mile based on the serial novel of the same name.