RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please do not take online gaming this extreme:

georox

Wanderer
bzk90 said:
it only gets worse from here, this thread should be locked

stupid people do not need to be on the internet
Then the internet should not be, seeing 95% of the people you encounter fall under the stupid category.

Kaeg

Wanderer
That is just a damn shame yall. I don't care how much you love a game or are addicted to it, when you have a family, they should always be your first responsbility, ESPECIALLY if you have a child. That's just pitiful, and frankly they need to be thrown under the jail and whipped daily. :mad:

*sigh* But frankly and sadly this doesn't just happen in the gaming world, but all over. I just hope this tragedy proves as a lesson to others...not just in the gaming world. :(

Ohms_Law

Wanderer
Kaeg said:
But frankly and sadly this doesn't just happen in the gaming world,
agreed. this isn't really a gaming issue, anymore then "Heavy Metal" was the reason for teen suicide in the '80's

unhealthy people will find a mechanism to express themselves no matter what you, me, or anyone else in the world does.

georox

Wanderer
Ohms_Law said:
agreed. this isn't really a gaming issue, anymore then "Heavy Metal" was the reason for teen suicide in the '80's

unhealthy people will find a mechanism to express themselves no matter what you, me, or anyone else in the world does.
No, videogames teach us instant gratification, how mindless violence always wins, and you get better if you kill people gruesomely.

Ohms_Law

Wanderer
georox said:
No, videogames teach us instant gratification, how mindless violence always wins, and you get better if you kill people gruesomely.

I disagree.
the Instant Gratification in most video games is an effect of design decisions. thoes design decisions are made by designers creating games marketed twords kids, of whom the company marketing department tells the designer their attention span is only 30 seconds.
Chicken or the Egg?

I'd say TV plays a larger role in this dabate, personally. but then, you can go even deeper and say that it starts in kindergarden with break times...
again, Chicken or the Egg?

Instant gratification is a societal problem in the US (and most of Western Europe now) created by desicions we and our parents (and their parent) have made. Point being, It still has nothing to do with video games in and of themselves. You could just as easily substitute watching TV or any other pure entertainment activity in the story, and it would fit.

Kwwres10

Wanderer
This reminds me of a favorite comic of mine a few years ago:

Dad: *hits newpaper* "We can blame the video-game industry for all this student violence!"

Son: *takes and hits newspaper* "Yeah! And we can blame the automobile industry for all these car accidents!"

Dad: "YEAH! Wait..."

Mom: "Touche..."

Lysdexic is right. The parents would have been neglectful anyways. Even if it was going shopping too long, etc.

The Pure Pwnage thing was funny, but I don't play WoW, so, I cannot relate. That, and I am strictly anti-internet dating. Most of the "women" that play UO are men, that pose as women and flirt with men, to get free items.

Besides, it is hard to care about gender when you don't even have the heart to CARE AT ALL.

Yes, I do love being evil.
-NoX

Kwwres10

Wanderer
Ohms_Law said:
I disagree.
the Instant Gratification in most video games is an effect of design decisions. thoes design decisions are made by designers creating games marketed twords kids, of whom the company marketing department tells the designer their attention span is only 30 seconds.
Chicken or the Egg?

I'd say TV plays a larger role in this dabate, personally. but then, you can go even deeper and say that it starts in kindergarden with break times...
again, Chicken or the Egg?

Instant gratification is a societal problem in the US (and most of Western Europe now) created by desicions we and our parents (and their parent) have made. Point being, It still has nothing to do with video games in and of themselves. You could just as easily substitute watching TV or any other pure entertainment activity in the story, and it would fit.

Neither came first. The lizard evolved into many speices before becoming the modern day chicken. So neither "came first". The modern day chick is the modern day chicken. Not the "first chicken". Names are variable. Your argument is null.

Fear my "Eternal-Question" crushing fury!

-NoX

Kwwres10

Wanderer
georox said:
Then the internet should not be, seeing 95% of the people you encounter fall under the stupid category.

Stupidity is not the issue. I simply call it "lack of experince, which [experience] increases proper judgement". Hell. They just got shit loads of experience. They will probably quit WoW.

They learned thier lesson, but sadly, at the expense of another's life, which was not thier sacrifice to make.

Stupidity is not something you have. It is the need for something you lack.

Thats another good quote. I should make a quote book.

-NoX

Clu

Wanderer
Anyone ever seen the Michael Moore movie, "Bowling for Columbine"?

The main point that I got from that movies was that there were inklings of problems with these kids from well before they actually committed their acts.

These parents - probably the same thing, but in a different context. I have no doubt in my mind that this wasn't the first time they'd done it. Probably did it every day. Only this time... well... their lack or responsibility came back to bite them.

However, In 'Bowling for Columbine', our friend Mr. Moore thought to bring some of the survivors of the Columbine attack to the central K-Mart division HQ where he proudly paraded these kids around and essentially blamed K-Mart for what had happened because the kids who massacred their peers bought the ammunition there.

Utter crap. Better to take himself and those kids to the local hospital and go see all the people who come in there after being hit by a drunk driver. Men, women, children - entire families snuffed out because of someone elses overindulgence. Yet, nobody is going after Anheiser Busch...

Games - same idea. One or two people with no self control are the ones responsible for the horrible blemishes that the industy is seen with. I remember when I was growing up, before video games other than Pong, I used to play Dungeons and Dragons (Still do actually). Here I am, an eight year old kid being called a Satanist, disturbed, evil.. all sorts of vile names by people who no more understood the games I was playing that I'd wager most of them knew the Bible they were trying to quote.

Next time someone complains about how Video Games are contributing to the moral decay of our youth - cite this little fact:

The Music industry is required by law to place a warning label on songs and albums that contain explicit lyrics. The ESRB board that places ratings on video games - completely voluntary http://www.esrb.com/about.asp. Game studios and retailers choose to place these labels on their games because they are a conciencious industry and understand their audience. They have also been the victim of those same ignorant people who would rather place blame and pass restrictive and borderline unconstitutional legislation regluating what other people think you should hear or read or watch.

People fear free thinking. If they didn't, we'd have Philosopers for our president and not Politicians.

/end_rant :)

Kwwres10

Wanderer
Great post Clue. I agree with you fully. Its Ironic because I see people walk around at school all day saying "YOUR GOING TO HELL" to EVERYONE.

I ask them why. They say "Because they disobeyed the commandments!"

I simply responded "Number One: Jesus died so that all who believe in him will not perish but have eternal life. That means no hell. Number Two: It is not your place to decide who and who will not be condemned. Only the Lord does that, so decreed by you bible. Number Three: You disobey the commandments weekly, if not daily, so I guess, I will see you in hell."

Then they crawled back into thier holes shamed that I knew more about them and thier religion than they did, even though I believed in science.

I would just like to say that not one person can judge who and who isn't going to the Christian Hell. Only the Christian God decides that.

Sorry. Got carried away.

[/religious rant]

-NoX

Clu

Wanderer
Indeed. Its easy for people, and mainly our society, to assume that all people are responsible, intelligent and have good decision making ability and that the cause of all the woes in the world can be attributed to outside influences.

Well, we all know better than that and yet this seems to be the predominant stance that the nay-sayers and critics of the world seem to be coming from. I won't sit here and say that video games and music and television and (gasp!) the media have had no influence on the way people see things. In fact, much of todays youth express a very nihilistic outlook on life which can be attributed to the fact that they are bombarded day and night with all the pain, woe, suffering and war in the world - how COULD you really have any serious belief in anything if thats what one is continually shown to be the real world? I don't remember seeing the sorts of things they show on TV now adays when I was growing up.

So, I suppose that while games and media in general have had influences on how we behave as children, teens and adults, its still within each persons power to decide what is right and wrong and how one should live and how one should conduct themselves in their society. Irresponsible parenting - nope, no excuses for it.