RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Port Opening

tindo

Sorceror
I don't understand why it is giving you an APIPA address (the 169. one) and not giving you one for the external ip.

Are you able to connect out to the internet on the same box that is running the server?

Do you have more than one network card in that computer?

tindo

Sorceror
Actually, I don't think this is the problem anyway. I am able to hit your server from the outside and connect, it just disconnects me at character creation. If it was something with your outside IP, then I would never get the name of your server.

We are on the wrong track here.

Soteric

Knight
To clarify. Are you trying to connect to the server over internet or from the same LAN? What client and RunUO versions do you use?

tindo

Sorceror
I worked with him on the phone for a few hours yesterday Soteric. It's really weird. He even zipped up his server and sent it to me. When I ran the server he was able to connect over the internet to my computer. When he hosted it on his computer, I could not connect over the internet to him.

It's got to be something on his computer but the weird thing is, I get connected to his shard, I can see the name of the shard in the server list but as soon as I chose the shard, my client crashes and he sees a disconnect.

If it was something in the port or ip, I should not be able to get to the serverlist, so its a real puzzler.

Oh, and his wife can connect fine on the LAN, its only over the internet that it does this.

tindo

Sorceror
Yep, we all used 6.0.10.1 - that was the first thing I thought of.

He has Titanium threat protection on his laptop and I wondered if it might be doing something with the connection. He tried to disable it, but you know how security programs are. When we got off the phone he was gonna try calling Trend Micro to see if Titanium is blocking or restricting something and also try hosting it on his wife's computer and report back.

Its really puzzling, but its gotta be something on his computer cause it ran fine on mine and I looked over the datapath, socketoptions, serverlist, and related scripts for him.

Soteric

Knight
Yes, looks like firewall or antivirus issue. The forwarding is okay, the ServerList is correct, client version works for you. Firewall is the only thing left.

tindo

Sorceror
Thanks, I was thinking the same but always great to have a fresh mind approaching a problem!

Only thing is, if it was the firewall, shouldn't it lock me out before I even see the serverlist? It's like I'm connecting but something is closing that connection. If it was a corporate network, I would suspect an IPS or something. Its weird that it first allows the connection, then closes it.