RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Smokin'

Should people be allowed to smoke in a public venue? ie: food places

• YES! Smoke up, Johnny!

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • NO! It's a serious health risk and it stinks.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • WHO CARES! I don't ever leave the RunUO Forums nor do I socialize with uncyberized people.

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

Jarrod

Sorceror
If Im sitting somewhere minding my own business and someone comes over and sits near me smoking, and the smoke is blowing towards me, I ask them to kindly put it out or sit somewhere else. If they refuse, they wake up in the f***ing hospital.

I dont know what it is, but I stop breathing when smoke hits my nose, its not a conscious thing either. If they dont stop suffocating me, I will make them stop.

milt

Knight
I vote no because I hate when people smoke around me. I could care less if someone does it when they aren't around me but if they are...bleh...

rsmiller21

Wanderer
Joeku said:
IHOP...

Everyone loves IHOP not just smokers :(

Its people like me that makes people like you hate smokers, rofl. Besides this poll is so shinaniganified! If you smoke you are going to vote Yes, even those pot heads that are reading this now saying WTF is talking about... there is a bag of cheetos behind you there kiddo ... and those who don't smoke are going to vote No. There is no grey area like, "I don't smoke but it is fine with me" or like "I don't care I just don't like the smell" or "Bong?!". To be honest I just quit smoking after 10 years of the stuff. When I go to a place to eat and someone is smoking I wont care even if the smoke bothers me and I myself want a cig. I will sit there and mind my own damn business because that is called freedom. Maybe you will will go and ask the guy to stop and then he will give you the finger and you will walk back to your seat, thats freedom to. To pass laws against it is a violation of that freedom and an invasion into the rights of others. This isn't about comfort this is about right and wrong.

I will admit cigs stink( hence why I said smoking areas need to be ventilated ), I dont actually smell it though unless im out of cigs and its been a bit sense ive had one. Think smoke stinks? Try smelling it after youve been out for 2 days. Talk about intensified lol.

Place I used to work, the smoking "section" was the break room ... that all employees had to go have break/lunch in. I alawys went outside to smoke when I worked there, im a smoker ya but I dont think its all to nice to force someone to sit there whilst I blow smoke all about.

Well I'm a smoker and healthy..I never get sick or have bad lungs. I've been smoking since I was 16 and I'm hmmm old 41 ....I don't want anyone telling me I can't smoke in my own car or home or outside, like one state is trying to pull. I don't go to bars but the ones that want to go and do smoke should be able to....What about the smokers right to smoke? I believe they should section off places for non-smokers and smokers. I myself won't light up when I'm out eating *well its against the law now*..but I never did if others didn't smoke.

I go outside and sit in my car at work to light up because I'm the only one that smokes. I respect others wishes but I don't want it crammed down my throat what I'm doing is wrong...Its my choice..

And by having a choice and rights your always going against someone elses rights and choices...Never ending cycle...;)

Mo Khan

Wanderer
ok here's a question for all the horn dogs...

There's a hot new club in town and it is open to all ages. You are a non-smoker and despise second hand smoke. On the opening night, Phillip Morris is sponsoring the door so entrance is free AND...all of the waitressess are Victoria's Secret models who smoke Phillip Morris products. They are all clad in the latest VS slinky-wear and each one of them is chain smoking.

...the question:

Do you go to the grand opening?

Kenny164

Sorceror
I voted yes because I don't think smokers are too in-yer-face over here... most resterants and public places have 'smokers areas'.

There is an expection of pubs which here (Nortern Ireland) allow smoking anywhere in the premises, whereas most places in Ireland (south) smoking is banned from pubs and public places. I dont think this is appropriate, as it's a big part of socializing.

Peoharen

Sorceror
I voted no. I hate the smell.

DreamCatcher: It's my choice not to smoke or smell it. It's your choice to. when you smoke around people that don't want to put up with it your forcing your choice on them. I am not saying you do, but there are assholes that light up while standing in crowds, walking down the street with other people, bunch up next to the main entrace of their work etc. Like evey other _stupid_ law, it's made and wanted becuse of those guys.

Most people I know are considerate enough to stand to the side to smoke, a few will even ask you if it brothers you before lightning up. I have no beef with them. Nor to people that smoke in their car going down the highway, or smoke in smoking sections etc. Only to the kind of people that your standing at a bus stop and some dickweed in the center lights up.

Edit.
A few questions.
To smokers; is it really hard to stand downwind of people? (if you dont)
To over-concerned non-smokers; are you really wanting to flat out ban public smoking? Or just smoking around you?

Mo Khan

Wanderer
Peoharen said:
Like evey other _stupid_ law, it's made and wanted becuse of those guys.

It (anti-smoking laws), typically, is put into law by city councils, instead of popular vote.

Peoharen

Sorceror
Joeku said:
@Mo: I'd buy a freaking gas mask.
I'd ask to borrow a smokers lighter.

Flick it below the sprinkler system. Wet-slinky-wear and no smoke.
Hell, that sounds better than a wet t-shirt contest...

Mo Khan

Wanderer
Peoharen said:

LOL

had to edit to announce that I am giving Karma for that one :)

Joeku

Lord
Peoharen said:

You.
Freaking.
Rock.

Peoharen said:
I voted no. I hate the smell.

DreamCatcher: It's my choice not to smoke or smell it. It's your choice to. when you smoke around people that don't want to put up with it your forcing your choice on them. I am not saying you do, but there are assholes that light up while standing in crowds, walking down the street with other people, bunch up next to the main entrace of their work etc. Like evey other _stupid_ law, it's made and wanted becuse of those guys.

Most people I know are considerate enough to stand to the side to smoke, a few will even ask you if it brothers you before lightning up. I have no beef with them. Nor to people that smoke in their car going down the highway, or smoke in smoking sections etc. Only to the kind of people that your standing at a bus stop and some dickweed in the center lights up.

Edit.
A few questions.
To smokers; is it really hard to stand downwind of people? (if you dont)
To over-concerned non-smokers; are you really wanting to flat out ban public smoking? Or just smoking around you?

I agree with you on alot of that...People need to be considerate of others if smoke bothers them...I just don't like the laws they are coming up with banning even smoking outside, its stupid...If people are considerate of others and would walk away and smoke their cigs instead of blowing smoke in their face maybe we wouldn't have such stupid laws over smoking...But theres always a bad apple in the cart...We all have rights and we all make our choice over what we want to do, but we don't need to step on others rights in the process..Smoker or non-smoker....;)

bzk90

Lord
a law was recently passed in Nevada banning smoking within x amount of feet of a place that serves food.

I don't mind smoking in public, though I personally think it's a ridiculous habit. In the end, as long as I don't have to smell it when I'm eating and they aren't blowing it in my face, I am fine.