RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Smokin'

Should people be allowed to smoke in a public venue? ie: food places

• YES! Smoke up, Johnny!

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • NO! It's a serious health risk and it stinks.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • WHO CARES! I don't ever leave the RunUO Forums nor do I socialize with uncyberized people.

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
I always love the "its my right" speeches and the "your forcing your choice" on me lines. Its catch22 really, some smokers force their choice to smoke on the non-smokers just like non-smokers force( and if you didnt notice, they are the ones that get laws for their choice ) thier choice of not smoking on smokers.

Im a smoker, its my right to smoke, I get to kill myself with cancer if I damn well wanna. I avoid large crowds when smoking, I stay away from entrances to public areas( regardless if I actually have to ), I dont blow smoke in peoples faces. Now, because non smokers dont like it cause it stinks and stuff, they force their choice of smoke free on me. I get to get screwed with not being able to smoke in public. Maybe us smokers should throw a shit-fit, maybe a strike or two. Id bet money only the longest possible amount of time that would be taken up to get something done( meaning, they would dickshit around about it as long as they could ).

Slayer706

Sorceror
I'm always smoking because I am so hot..... ZING!

At Sith:
Im a smoker, its my right to smoke, I get to kill myself with cancer if I damn well wanna. I avoid large crowds when smoking, I stay away from entrances to public areas( regardless if I actually have to ), I dont blow smoke in peoples faces. Now, because non smokers dont like it cause it stinks and stuff, they force their choice of smoke free on me. I get to get screwed with not being able to smoke in public. Maybe us smokers should throw a shit-fit, maybe a strike or two. Id bet money only the longest possible amount of time that would be taken up to get something done( meaning, they would dickshit around about it as long as they could ).
Really that "it's my right to do this, it's my body" argument doesn't work anymore. If that was true, you could smoke crack or take steriods and LSD. Heck, you could kill yourself without the police interfering..... I personally believe in it, but most people these days don't.
What it all comes down to are people that make crusades out of everything. There are people out there, who make it their personal mission in life to do a certain thing. It can be anything, like banning abortion. These people want what they want and they don't care how many other people don't want it. They will send letters, march around places with signs, lie, or in worse cases even kill people. There will be bans on anything and everything until soccer moms and stay at home dads find something better to do with their lives instead of pushing useless legislation on people.

Radwen

Wanderer
smoking FUCKING STINKS.
Dudes, I don't care about you fuckers who smoke .. because I'm internalized in my room by my own will :p. When I am out I only go to my friends places ..and they don't smoke.

But when I DO get in a smokey area .. i'm fucking pissed. My clothes grab the horrible STENCH and I feel like ripping the smokers apart.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
DreamCatcher said:
Awww simmer down AB...LOL Theres nothing wrong with you..:) You've just calmed down A LOT on the forums lately...;)

He's 18...he has realized that he's reached his sexual prime and the rest of his life he will constantly be paying ridiculous prices for erectile deficiency medications, working on his "comb over", and telling himself he can still play the "young man's game".

(am I speaking from experience?)

WarAngel

Wanderer
No health risks? BULLSHIT.

http://www.cancer.ca/ccs/internet/standard/0 said:
# Second-hand smoke releases the same 4,000 chemicals (50 are known to cause cancer) as smoke that is directly inhaled, but in even greater quantity. Second-hand smoke contains:

* 2 times more tar which gums up lungs and breathing passages
* 5 times more carbon monoxide, which reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood

Second-hand smoke affects your body very quickly. Non-smokers exposed to second-hand smoke are at higher risk of getting cancer and other lung diseases. In fact, second-hand smoke is linked to the deaths of at least 1,100 Canadians every year, 300 of them from lung cancer.

Second-hand smoke can cause:

* eye irritation
* headache
* nasal discomfort and sneezing
* cough and sore throat
* nausea and dizziness
* increased heart rate and blood pressure
* increased risk for people with heart disease (angina)
* asthma, allergies

Second-hand smoke and children
Children are especially at risk to second-hand smoke because their bodies are still growing.
Second-hand smoke increases the chances that children will:

* cough and wheeze more than other children
* miss more school
* have more ear infections
* have bronchitis and pneumonia more often
* die of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome)
* have reduced lung capacity
* make more trips to hospital
* be more likely to develop asthma
* develop serious health problems with their heart and lungs when they grow up.

Second-hand smoke and unborn babies
Second-hand smoke affects unborn children. Nicotine can be found in the blood of a pregnant woman who is exposed to second-hand smoke. Nicotine speeds up the heartbeat of the fetus and slows down the growth of the baby’s lungs and breathing passages.

Carbon monoxide from second-hand smoke can reduce the oxygen supply to a fetus. This can lead to lower birth weights and other health problems. Second-hand smoke has also been linked to premature births and miscarriage.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Secondhand_Smoke-Clean_Indoor_Air.asp said:
Secondhand smoke can be harmful in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:
* an estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers
* about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults
* other respiratory problems in nonsmokers, including coughing, phlegm, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function
* 150,000 to 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations
* increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 400,000 to 1 million asthmatic children
* increased incidence of middle ear infections in young children

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_smoking#Passive_smoking said:
It is confirmed that, in adults, secondhand smoke causes lung cancer, nasal sinus cancer, breast cancer in younger women, heart disease, heart attacks, and asthma induction. Secondhand smoke is also known to harm children, infants and reproductive health through acute lower respiratory tract illness, asthma induction and exacerbation, chronic respiratory symptoms, middle ear infection, lower birth weight babies, and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.[17]

In June 2006, US Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona called the evidence against passive smoke "indisputable" and said "The science is clear: secondhand smoke is not a mere annoyance, but a serious health hazard that causes premature death and disease in children and non-smoking adults.".[18] Passive smoking is one of the key issues that have lead to introduction of smoking bans, particularly in workplaces.

The composition of Environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) is similar to fossil fuel combustion products that contribute to air pollution, and has been shown to be responsible for indoor particulate matter (PM) levels far exceeding official outdoor limits.[19]

DDTS said:
There is absolutely no evidence that second hand smoke can lead to cancer of any kind.

The most recent major report on SHS risks was released in September, 2005 by the California Environmental Protection Agency Air Resources Board. It confirmed that, in adults, secondhand smoke causes:
* lung cancer;
* nasal sinus cancer;
* breast cancer in younger (primarily pre-menopausal) women;
* heart disease and heart attacks;
* asthma induction and exacerbation; and

That SHS harms children, infants and reproductive health through

* acute lower respiratory tract illness (such as pneumonia and bronchitis);
* asthma induction and exacerbation;
* chronic respiratory symptoms;
* middle ear infection;
* lower birth weight babies; and
* sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

Here's the report from that California EPA Air Board. http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/ets2006/ets2006.htm

WarAngel

Wanderer
o0_Sithid_0o said:

Or kill your asshole smoker buddies who make sure they are in the largest crowd possible when lighting up. ^_^

My opinion is that it is rude and uncurtious to smoke indoors around people who do not or around people who are eating even if they themselves smoke.

I say this as a smoker because I myself follow those rules. I know that when I am eating the last thing I want is to smell a cigarette burning next to me. Alot of your taste sense comes from what you smell as most of us know so when someone is eating and you come around smoking a cig in thier face thats what they are smelling and tasting. Yeah thats going to piss most anyone off. For those who dont smoke the smell is awful and to force someone in a public building to put up with this is bs.

I used to think hey this is a free country and I should be allowed to smoke wherever the hell I want untill I realized what an asshole I was by doing it...

rsmiller21

Wanderer
This thread has turned in some hate mongering stuff on all ends. What happened to the teddy bears and the rainbows with all of use dancing in a circle around our pocket books and shoes? I think the important thing to remember is that we are all human and should give respect to everyone smokers, non-smokers, political parties, races, ect, ect. You might not like them but respect them. Calling people names isn't going to solve anything. Only blunt force trauma to the head does that. I am joking *Give finger* or not.... :confused:. Besides I think we are missing an important issue here, like why do fat women have to let their children feed off from their exposed breast while in Walmart? I like boobies but com'on!

WarAngel

Wanderer
If you're referring to my comment about "asshole smoker buddies", they are assholes. Inconciderate is typically a synonym for asshole.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
WarAngel said:
No health risks? BULLSHIT.

Here's the report from that California EPA Air Board. http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/ets2006/ets2006.htm
It's funny because the place I got my information from was BULLSHIT!
But apparently they they were wrong and added a notation to the show. :(
I still wouldn't say the places you cited were very credible (the cancer.org one looks pretty good), but I will admit that second hand smoke COULD be harmful. The human lung can go back to full health as long as you don't contract emphesyma, so if you are not constantly in a smokey environment you should be perfectly fine.

Vorspire

Knight
I voted NO, and I am a smoker myself. Public smoking is not currently banned where I live, except in most shopping malls.. I think public smoking (on the street and such) should be banned.
Too much of the litter these days consists of fag-butts and it's not very nice to walk into the house if you have one stuck to the bottom of your shoe and don't realise. I always put mine out and throw them in the nearest trash can.

I'm not too bothered about the smell though, obviously ;D But yea, PUBs and such should allow smoking of a ratio of 1:1, where half of the given venue is a non-smoking area. I believe the Weatherspoons family bar and club chain have accomplished that, and I really do like to get off my ass at that place, good tap lager.

I did vow to quit for my 20th Bday, which is comming soon ^^

Malaperth

Wanderer
The thing I find most amusing about this whole thread is that ANYONE could possibly believe that there needs to be a study to tell you that inhaling any smoke is not harmful to you. If that were so, there would never be a single firefighter hospitalized for smoke inhalation... Just because something does not immediately kill you does not mean it's not harmful.

I've smoked for more years than many of you have been alive and even I'm smart enough to know that it's bad for me. The statement about there not being a single study proving that second hand smoke is harmful is laughable. All it 'proves' is that you can cause statistics to 'prove' anything you want.

Back in the 70's, there was a study done that 'proved' that sex caused cancer. The only reason it was done was to show people how fallible these statistical studies are.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Malaperth said:
The thing I find most amusing about this whole thread is that ANYONE could possibly believe that there needs to be a study to tell you that inhaling any smoke is not harmful to you. If that were so, there would never be a single firefighter hospitalized for smoke inhalation... Just because something does not immediately kill you does not mean it's not harmful.
That is a completely different type of a) smoke b) situation.

I have yet to see a smoker produce this:

Malaperth

Wanderer
Which is completely irrelevant... The concentration of smoke in an average drag of a cigarette is more than is produced per volume in the vast majority of fires.