RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Smokin'

Should people be allowed to smoke in a public venue? ie: food places

• YES! Smoke up, Johnny!

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • NO! It's a serious health risk and it stinks.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • WHO CARES! I don't ever leave the RunUO Forums nor do I socialize with uncyberized people.

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters

Malaperth

Wanderer
Yes, that does pretty much sum it up. Just like getting shot may not kill you, but I'd bet it isn't good for you.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Malaperth said:
Which is completely irrelevant... The concentration of smoke in an average drag of a cigarette is more than is produced per volume in the vast majority of fires.
... so what is your point? Smoke inhilation totally different than ciggarette smoking... And firefighters won't get smoking inhilation from the "vast majority of fires" they are more apt to get it from situations like

not to mention you cite no source for this claim.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Yup, until you die, which will happen whether you smoke or not, it's just that if you do smoke, there is more of a chance you will be killed by it.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Malaperth said:
Yes, that does pretty much sum it up. Just like getting shot may not kill you, but I'd bet it isn't good for you.
And eating cake probably won't kill you, but there is a chance! SO NO MORE CAKE FOR ANYONE.

I do want to point out that I abhor smoking.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
Malaperth said:
Yup, until you die, which will happen whether you smoke or not, it's just that if you do smoke, there is more of a chance you will be killed by it.

LOL well I'll be damned! It's Captain Obvious! :)

seriously though, that's like saying if you drive a car you're more likely to get in a car wreck...um?...duh? :D

Malaperth

Wanderer
The government very well may legislate the eating of cake also, SOAD. You are a quite intelligent person, at least from what I read of your posts, even if you are stubborn and idealistic :D Can you honestly say to me that you need a source to figure out that smoking a cigarette has a higher concentration of particulates than your average fire? And, can you honestly say that you see no harm at all in second hand smoke?

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Malaperth said:
The government very well may legislate the eating of cake also, SOAD. You are a quite intelligent person, at least from what I read of your posts, even if you are stubborn and idealistic :D Can you honestly say to me that you need a source to figure out that smoking a cigarette has a higher concentration of particulates than your average fire? And, can you honestly say that you see no harm at all in second hand smoke?
I have no argument that smoking is bad for you, my argument is that it is bad for the soccer mom that happens to walk by you while smoke on the side of the road.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
well, I worked out the odds. Based on my quick calculations, I figure I have a 100% chance of dying. So, does smoking increase my chance of dying? And, if so, is it a 10% increase? 15%? 75%? Really doesn't matter since my base calculation is already at 100%.

:D

Mo Khan

Wanderer
DontdroptheSOAD said:
I have no argument that smoking is bad for you, my argument is that it is bad for the soccer mom that happens to walk by you while smoke on the side of the road.

So are trans-fatty whatevers...oh wait, they are getting rid of those too!

Malaperth

Wanderer
In that case, it's a matter of degrees and semantics. Mostly, this subject is simply a political football. Clean air is better for you than not (yes, quite obvious), but some things are regulated and some not. In my opinion, politicians are going for cigarette smokers because they can, as opposed to going after many other things that pollute the air.

Some building materials may not be burned because of the nasty things they put into the air when burned. Cigarettes, when burned, produce toxins that are not allowed in the air by burning other items, such as building materials. (don't ask for a source, please, you get the point).

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on as far as smoking in open, public places. The only thing I'm sure of is that if I smoke in front of someone, my action can harm them. A non-smoker not smoking in front of me will not hurt me by that lack of action (hope you understand that, it's kinda goofy sounding).

Mo Khan

Wanderer
Malaperth said:
In that case, it's a matter of degrees and semantics. Mostly, this subject is simply a political football. Clean air is better for you than not (yes, quite obvious), but some things are regulated and some not. In my opinion, politicians are going for cigarette smokers because they can, as opposed to going after many other things that pollute the air.

Some building materials may not be burned because of the nasty things they put into the air when burned. Cigarettes, when burned, produce toxins that are not allowed in the air by burning other items, such as building materials. (don't ask for a source, please, you get the point).

I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on as far as smoking in open, public places. The only thing I'm sure of is that if I smoke in front of someone, my action can harm them. A non-smoker not smoking in front of me will not hurt me by that lack of action (hope you understand that, it's kinda goofy sounding).

Understood completely. But, let's say you own a cat. And, let's say I am allergic to cat hair and it causes a violent physical reaction . You spend the afternoon playing with, and petting, your cat. I realize I am out of bread so I head down to the store. You become aware that your supply of milk is critically low, and, you too, head to the store. By chance, we end up in the same checkout line together. Some buttnugget behind me likes to keep the line too tight and I end up inches behind you. Within seconds I start to have an allergic reaction to the cat hair on your clothing...I die. should we ban all cats? they are a health risk you know. they just killed a man at the grocery store.

Malaperth

Wanderer
Your point is exagerrated, but very well could happen in our current system of government.

Just like that little old lady that got 50K from McDonald's for spilling her own hot coffee in her lap.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
Malaperth said:
Your point is exagerrated, but very well could happen in our current system of government.

OF COURSE it is exaggerated. Just like EVERY other argument in this thread and the studies behind them.

Shadow1980

Wanderer
Mo Khan said:
Understood completely. But, let's say you own a cat. And, let's say I am allergic to cat hair and it causes a violent physical reaction . You spend the afternoon playing with, and petting, your cat. I realize I am out of bread so I head down to the store. You become aware that your supply of milk is critically low, and, you too, head to the store. By chance, we end up in the same checkout line together. Some buttnugget behind me likes to keep the line too tight and I end up inches behind you. Within seconds I start to have an allergic reaction to the cat hair on your clothing...I die. should we ban all cats? they are a health risk you know. they just killed a man at the grocery store.

Nah stores would just get told to put a pretty sign outside:

Health Risk Warning: This store might from time to time be visited by people who own a cat.

or

CAUTION: Cat hairs take lives.

Coupled with graphic pictures of people losing their lives in an allergic reaction to cat hairs. Pretty much like we put such things on packets of cigs.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
"Has it ever occured to you how astonishing the culture of Western society really is? Industrialized nations provide their citizens with unprecedented safety, health, and comfort. Average life spans increased 50 percent in the last century. Yet modern people live in abject fear. They are afraid of strangers, disease, of crime, of the environment. They are afraid of the homes they live in, the food they eat, the technology that surrounds them. They are timid, nervous, fretful,, and depressed. And even more amazingly, they are convinced that the environment of the entire planet is being destroyed around them. Remarkable! Like the belief in witchcraft, it's an extraordinary delusion - a global fantasy worthy of the Middle Ages. Everything is going to hell, and we must all live in fear."
Michael Crichton,
State of Fear; New York:
Harper Collins, 2004, 455.​

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You want to smoke?

Do it in your house, or in your car (with the windows rolled up).

The smell of smoke makes me sick and I can't stand driving behind someone who's smoking with their windows down.

It infuriates me.

Smoking is the most disgusting thing in the world (to me).

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Ryan said:
You want to smoke?

Do it in your house, or in your car (with the windows rolled up).

The smell of smoke makes me sick and I can't stand driving behind someone who's smoking with their windows down.

It infuriates me.

Smoking is the most disgusting thing in the world (to me).
Personally necrophilia is a tad more disgusting imho >_>