RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Smokin'

Should people be allowed to smoke in a public venue? ie: food places

• YES! Smoke up, Johnny!

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • NO! It's a serious health risk and it stinks.

Votes: 33 61.1%
  • WHO CARES! I don't ever leave the RunUO Forums nor do I socialize with uncyberized people.

Votes: 5 9.3%

• Total voters
DontdroptheSOAD said:
There is absolutely no evidence that second hand smoke can lead to cancer of any kind. Which would make sense, because even a hardcore smoker can after 10 years have perfectly healthy lungs barring they do not contract emphesyma (sp).

Why Is It a Problem?

Secondhand smoke is classified as a "known human carcinogen" (cancer-causing agent) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a branch of the World Health Organization.

Tobacco smoke contains over 4,000 chemical compounds. More than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.

Secondhand smoke can be harmful in many ways. In the United States alone, each year it is responsible for:

* an estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in people who live with smokers but are not current smokers

* about 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults

* other respiratory problems in nonsmokers, including coughing, phlegm, chest discomfort, and reduced lung function

* 150,000 to 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age, which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations

* increases in the number and severity of asthma attacks in about 400,000 to 1 million asthmatic children

* increased incidence of middle ear infections in young children

Pregnant women exposed to ETS are also at increased risk of having low birth weight babies.

An issue that continues to be an active focus of scientific research is whether secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer. Both mainstream and secondhand smoke contain about 20 chemicals that, in high concentrations, cause breast cancer in rodents. Chemicals in tobacco smoke reach breast tissue and are found in breast milk.

The evidence regarding secondhand smoke and breast cancer risk in human studies is controversial, at least in part because the risk has not been shown to be increased in active smokers. One possible explanation for this is that tobacco smoke may have different effects on breast cancer risk in smokers and in those who are just exposed to smoke.

A report from the California Environmental Protection Agency in 2005 concluded that the evidence regarding secondhand smoke and breast cancer is "consistent with a causal association" in younger, mainly premenopausal women. The 2006 US Surgeon General's report, The Health Consequences of Involuntary Exposure to Tobacco Smoke, concluded that there is "suggestive but not sufficient" evidence of a link at this point. In any case, women should be told that this possible link to breast cancer is yet another reason to avoid contact with secondhand smoke.

The 2006 US Surgeon General's report reached several important conclusions:

* Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke.

* Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.

* Exposure of adults to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and causes coronary heart disease and lung cancer.

* The scientific evidence indicates that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke.

* Many millions of Americans, both children and adults, are still exposed to secondhand smoke in their homes and workplaces despite substantial progress in tobacco control.

* Eliminating smoking in indoor spaces fully protects nonsmokers from exposure to secondhand smoke. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot eliminate exposures of nonsmokers to secondhand smoke.

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_10_2X_Secondhand_Smoke-Clean_Indoor_Air.asp

Lets do some research before we go and make baseless assertions.

DontdroptheSOAD said:
Wow way to bring up something I already acknowledged. My source of information turned out to be wrong, and I have already addressed that. It wasn't baseless, it was misinformed.

"[Your] source" was wrong, eh? Maybe because you stopped looking after you found one that fit your opinion?

I don't know about you, but I generally look for more than one source when I form an opinion on an issue.

Everyone has the option to walk away, no one place belongs to any group. I say public smoking should be allowed. You can only smoke in two different places in disneyland, and that place is huge. :p

WarAngel

Wanderer
DraconisDesBois said:
Everyone has the option to walk away, no one place belongs to any group.

No, everyone doesn't. If I'm sitting in a restaurant or waiting at the bus stop, I can't just walk away, nor will I inconvenience myself for some other guy. If it only had negative effects on the person smoking, I'd be fine with it, even though it does stink. However, it doesn't just have negative effects on that person; it effects everyone around. It's their prerogative to make sure the are is clear because it harms everyone. It's similar to target practice with a shotgun or rifle. You wouldn't practice with your gun in the middle of a city or large crowd, would you? No (unless you're a psycho), you'd have your own place set up in a remote area or you'd go to a shooting range. My point is that it hurts other people, so you are responsible for making sure no one else is going to be harmed by your action.

Shadow1980

Wanderer
I am for smoking in designated zones, so we know what we are up to. Tbh though, if people would be more considerate of one another we wouldn't need any rules on smoking. I mean god - is it so hard to ask people if they mind if you light a cig? Especially at bus stops and other busy places where people have no choice but to either stand in your smoke or make you eat your cig.

Kenko

Page
pacolaco2 said:
As long as your not blowing smoke in my face.. I don't mind..

But, smoking is just stupid.

1. It's not beneficial
  2. MMmmm, cancer.
  3. Waste of money and alveoli
  4. Pointless?
That's all. Thread closed.

Joeku

Lord
Shadow1980 said:
I am for smoking in designated zones, so we know what we are up to. Tbh though, if people would be more considerate of one another we wouldn't need any rules on smoking. I mean god - is it so hard to ask people if they mind if you light a cig? Especially at bus stops and other busy places where people have no choice but to either stand in your smoke or make you eat your cig.
I thought that Euros call them "fags", not "cigs".

espcevan

Sorceror
In my oppinion smoking is bad. But it is not my place to tell if people smoke or not. If they want to loose a lung or to so be it. My grandma and dad smoke like feinds. IT smells bad and i think that since im around them all the time its starting to affect me in a big way. I used to be able to run forever but as the years went on its been getting harder for me. I cant breath as good as i used to. Well thats my imput

-Espcevan

Slayer706

Sorceror
Wow way to bring up something I already acknowledged. My source of information turned out to be wrong, and I have already addressed that.
So.... Isn't your argument kinda null and void now? It harms other people, therefore it shouldn't be allowed in public. Really, what else can you say? That the other people can just go screw themselves?

WarAngel

Wanderer
Slayer706 said:
So.... Isn't your argument kinda null and void now? It harms other people, therefore it shouldn't be allowed in public. Really, what else can you say? That the other people can just go screw themselves?

He already said that. He just got pissed because TOD brought it back up after he admitted he was wrong. ^^

DraconisDesBois said:
Everyone has the option to walk away, no one place belongs to any group. I say public smoking should be allowed. You can only smoke in two different places in disneyland, and that place is huge. :p

You're absolutely right, no one place belongs to any group. So, why should I have to leave because of something you're doing? Why don't you walk away?

Malaperth

Wanderer
Well, I am a smoker, and yes, obviously since I do, I'm a moron... IF I have the right to smoke in front of someone that hates it so they have to breathe it, sooner or later, they will sue (and win) for the right to shoot me when I do. Sure, it's an over-the-top example, but, there is the eye-for-an-eye thing.

Mo Khan

Wanderer
espcevan said:
In my oppinion smoking is bad. But it is not my place to tell if people smoke or not. If they want to loose a lung or to so be it. My grandma and dad smoke like feinds. IT smells bad and i think that since im around them all the time its starting to affect me in a big way. I used to be able to run forever but as the years went on its been getting harder for me. I cant breath as good as i used to. Well thats my imput

-Espcevan

lol...that's not second hand smoke you anustool :) ...that's called getting fucking old! Maybe we should ban aging. From now on, I cannot age in a public place.