RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quitting Smoking

Radwen

Wanderer
Malaperth;642985 said:
Hoping your grandmother gets well when she's sick is not "childish ways to accept life and to give yourself a reason to move on"[sic].
I think it is.
Hoping will give you nothing but extra time to hide yourself from the facts.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Radwen;642981 said:
I believe hope and faith are childish ways to accept life and to give yourself a reason to move on.

If you mean wonderful in that sense, ok, but I still think its a weak way to get to that. Its lying to yourself so that you can accept the truth (which becomes a lie .. but w/e).

Hmm interesting viewpoint. Does this mean you equate emotional maturity with a more harsh view of the world? Because that is my take on your post. This has not been my experience. I had a far more bleak view of the world when I was younger. Life mellowed that out. I saw more. So for me it's been the opposite. I've gone from pessimist to optimist. Frankly I like where I am now a lot better. And for the record, I never had to lie to myself to get here. I just had to open my eyes wider. See past the things that only validated my then current viewpoint. I don't see it as a weakness either. Because it took strength to accept a worldview that was beyond my immediate circumstances and experience. Weakness would have been staying were I was.

Radwen

Wanderer
FireSoul;642992 said:
Hmm interesting viewpoint. Does this mean you equate emotional maturity with a more harsh view of the world? Because that is my take on your post. This has not been my experience. I had a far more bleak view of the world when I was younger. Life mellowed that out. I saw more. So for me it's been the opposite. I've gone from pessimist to optimist. Frankly I like where I am now a lot better. And for the record, I never had to lie to myself to get here. I just had to open my eyes wider. See past the things that only validated my then current viewpoint. I don't see it as a weakness either. Because it took strength to accept a worldview that was beyond my immediate circumstances and experience. Weakness would have been staying were I was.
I do not think that any view on life is better than any other.
Whether you wish to live in denial or in an optimist way or in a pessimist way or any way .. its doesn't really matter.
I just find that I get more out of life (myself, this probably doesn't stand for most people) if I look at it as it is. For its beauty and its hideousness.
Life in general is shit. But shit is beautiful.

Malaperth;642993 said:
Not really comparing you to him, but I'm sure that Jeffrey Dahmer felt the same way...
Maybe. Good for him if he did.
Who are you to judge happiness?
How can you evaluate that his happiness isn't worth as much as someone else's because it was found in distorted ways.
If you believe in ying and yang, then every time you are happy someone else is unhappy. This means whether he is happy by killing and eating people has the same impact as if you are happy for no reason .. its just that his negative impact is immediate and in his face, while yours is somewhere you won't see.

Johabius

Knight
I have officially smoked my last ( I hope ) cigarette. My wife bought me a couple bags of cinnamon fire jolly rancher candies that I am going to try to substitute. Unfortunately, because of all of the different meds that I'm on, I can't use the patches, nicotine gum, or the commit lozenges, so I'm basically on my own. Wish me luck.

FireSoul

Wanderer
Johabius;643496 said:
I have officially smoked my last ( I hope ) cigarette. My wife bought me a couple bags of cinnamon fire jolly rancher candies that I am going to try to substitute. Unfortunately, because of all of the different meds that I'm on, I can't use the patches, nicotine gum, or the commit lozenges, so I'm basically on my own. Wish me luck.

I quit before for six months and used Beeman's Gum. It worked a treat, however you can't buy it here anymore *cries*. Best of luck.

HellRazor

Knight
Johabius;643496 said:

Good luck, you can do it! BE STRONG!

jhs59

Sorceror
I quit smoking twice.. Smoke free now but I do enjoy the shisha once in a while as well.

I did the chewing gum thing.. not the nicotine gum, just plain spearmint chewing gum. Worked for me.

Good luck to all of you who are quitting the cigarettes. I smell better, my sense of smell and taste is better, my chest and back doesn't hurt in the morning any more, no more hacking up multi colored goo. So many more benefits to not smoking cigarettes.. Just weigh them against your urge to smoke and only a fool will choose the later. :)

Joeku

Lord
Good luck Joh!

Remember, it's against the virtual contract that you signed without your knowledge when you entered these forums, to die. So you have to stay alive.

:p

FireSoul;642399 said:
Today is day one. Yuck. I'm cranky, the building caretaker walked by and waved at me and I think I sneered at him. Of course he annoys me anyway. He's been asking me out for the past two years. I keep saying no, and he keeps hearing "Maybe, ask me again tomorrow". GRRR!

What are other people's experiences with this? (quitting smoking, not dealing with selectively hearing caretakers).

Well i smoked once when i was 13 years through age 18 and i got tired of it and i just quit all in that day hell yea it was terrable but it really is will power if you want to quit you can if u have some reason that you smoke and you have not resolved that issue you are more likely to keep smoking thats what i think

HellRazor

Knight
Yeah but having a "reason" to smoke is just an excuse. When you are addicted to something its easy to try to justify it to yourself. "Oh, I smoke BECAUSE..." "Oh, I can't quit, BECAUSE..."

But - there really IS no GOOD reason to smoke, so its all B.S.

Don't try to justify it to yourself, that's my advice. Any justification you may have is probably just an excuse to not do what's right for you and your body, and to just quit it.