RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0.0 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
RunUO 1.0.0 Release

As the development team ties up the loose ends around 1.0.0 we wanted to let you know that we will be giving everyone 24 hours notice to the time that 1.0.0 will go online for download.

We will be releasing RunUO 1.0.0 under an OSI certified license, in three distributions. The fist distribution will be RunUO 1.0.0 Core, Scripts, Basic World. This distribution will NOT have an installer, and will be a zip file.

The second distribution will be RunUO 1.0.0 with the Core Source code.

The third distribution (which really is not necessary at this time) will be RunUO 1.0.0 in tar.gz format for the linux guys.

The reasoning for these releases is as follows:

1. We want everyone to have the ability to keep things going the way they have been so that there is no confusion for our users that do not plan to modify the core. In reality very few users should modify the core, it will just make upgrades in the future extremely difficult.

2. This distribution will be there for everyone to see the Core source code. A lot of our users have a desire to see the code, so we thought we would package it with a download rather than make them have to drag it out of CVS.

3. A simple tar.gz of release #1. The only reason for this is, we are automating our release packaging. By doing so we want to be able to have this process generate a .tar.gz for the *nix gang when Mono comes around.

Now to answer the big question everyone has. As of right now we are trying to pack in most of the pub29 features into RunUO 1.0.0 as possible. I have made the decision that if it does delay 1.0.0 that is fine, and we will get RunUO 1.0.0 out a little after Friday if necessary. I do not want to rush this release just to get you guys a 1.0.0 with the source code if it will cause bugs, and I want to ensure that SE support is as complete as humanly possible.

Thanks,
Ryan

Congratulations for the team, this is undoubtably a major step for the future of RunUO. Of course you also have my thanks for all the hard work you all put in this project!

If opensourcing RunUO is a good idea I do not know, it has it's advantages and disadvantates, but I'm inclined to believe that overall a lot of good will come from it.

R

r00ted

Congrats!

Congrats guys!

Can't wait for this release

/me bows

Khaz

Knight
Don't do that! My stomach was in my throat when I read the title. Thank you, anyway, for the update, and I definitely look forward to the release. My thanks go to the whole team here, in advance and always. :)

Tagon

Wanderer
Well congrads I know this is a big step for the dev team and I am glad to see it come tp pass. Everyone on the team should be very proud.

Stefano

Wanderer
*pop firework*
*pop firework*
*pop firework*

Although most of us, won't be able to modify it, I'm sure there'll be psicological relief in just looking.... at the core........

No. I (or we) are not psycothic. :D

Chz,
Stefano

Nagash

Sorceror
Congratulations. We will wait as much as we have to have a working bugless version. More than modify the core, I hope that those who are capable of doing it focuse their efforts into improve it. I mean find possible errors and bugs (if there is any) in the next and in the future release. If those who are capable of modifying the core put their efforts on that, reporting core problems and stuff, I believe that the future releases will come sooner, better and with less work to the DevTeam.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
SphericalSolaris said:
and as TMSTKSBK said OOOOOHRAAH!

TMSTKSBK:

Quote:
Ooh Rah! (yay for converting my server ! )

You serve?

Erm...I meant shard. Sorry...server's just my default term.

I'm red. :(

GameOva

Wanderer
Congrats to all that made this possible :)
We are looking forward to it

On a side note Nagash I find it funny your posting here when you told me that pol is much better than RunUo ? Just wondering what side the fence your on this week
You crack me up

Status
Not open for further replies.