RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0.0 Source code is online

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLN

Wanderer
Alexandra said:
Hmmm so I will need another compiler besides the one RunUO brings... alright :p I think I'll have to wait till I upgrade my system, win98 doesn't allow me to install the .net sdk :D

Thanks for the explanation.

And congrats to the dev staff!

the free IDE SharpDevelopent working with MS' free command line compiler works just fine. I run 98 and didnt have any problems.

Dishwasha

Wanderer
Compile Core from source

I created a project in VS2003, added all the .cs files from the source including those in the directories, compiled with unsafe code enabled, but did not link or reference any files. The release binary I produce is 458,752 bytes which is exactly the same size as the Server.exe in the RunUO-1.0.0. For some reason when I run Server.exe it works but when I replace it with my release (renamed to Server.exe) it doesn't load and ends up crashing. Any ideas out there?

Dishwasha

Wanderer
Project Generator

I'm not sure what you mean by a project generator aside from the fact that I "generate" a project in Visual Studio. Googling on "Visual Studio Project Generator" comes up short.

Phantom

Knight
Dishwasha said:
I'm not sure what you mean by a project generator aside from the fact that I "generate" a project in Visual Studio. Googling on "Visual Studio Project Generator" comes up short.

You don't need any program to generate a project file.

Its handy, but not required.

All you have to do is, drop and drag, all the classes into a project.

Spider although he means well, didn't explain the fact its an optional tool you can use.

The next version of my program will allow you to do this. I feel its the only true "Project Generator" as it was the first .

All other programs are clones of the same idea, and I feel they shouldn't be used.

Dishwasha

Wanderer
Drag and Drop

Well, this is odd. Before, I was manually adding all the files individually to the project. In doing so I lost the directory structure but I was able to compile successfully. Now I have done a drag-and-drop as you suggested, so the files are in my project with directory structure. Now I get errors in several files complaining that the various namespaces already exist. Any ideas?

Dishwasha

Wanderer
Drag and Drop Update

Boy am I glad nobody responded to that last post. Ignore my previous post, apparently I neglected to delete the directory and start over so there were files in the root directory of the project that weren't supposed to be there.

Okay, so I dragged & dropped all the folders and class files from the RunUO 1.0.0 Source in to my project, set unsafe to true for release and debug, and built. Once again, the project builds successfully, generates an .exe the exact same size as the one in RunUO 1.0.0 (non-Source), but when I rename the original Server.exe and replace it with my renamed release it does not bring up the console window but goes straight to a JIT error of Server.Reflection.ReflectionLoadTypeException. The only thing I can think of is the fact that I renamed the executable so I will set my project to compile to Server.exe instead of another name and test.

Dishwasha

Wanderer
Must Need For Project To Compile

AHA! For all the newbs like me, make sure when you create your project in VS, create it as a console application instead of a Windows application. You will also have to change the Assembly name to Server or else the reflection will not work properly and you will get JIT errors. If you have already created your project, click on your project (not the solution) in Solutions Explorer, go to Project & Properties. Under General you'll have a key for Assembly; change this to Server. Also change Output Type to Console Application. While you're at it you might as well set the default namespace to Server.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
this open sourcing of the core can be good, or bad depending on how you look at it, in either case its a huge step, and I'm actually glad it has been done.

I do have a question however...

How does this affect older copies of RunUO? such as b36 or whatever? are these still closed to the public? or are these now also open source?

I didn't see this elsewhere, so forgive me if this has been answered already.

Phantom

Knight
Who would go to the effort of hosting or using an older release?

Oh right the same people tha already decompiled it :lol: and screwed up their shards.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
Phantom said:

Oh right the same people tha already decompiled it :lol: and screwed up their shards.

you assume too much phantom.

I use b36. I have not decompiled it or offered it for download, and my shard is just fine. I use the older version because I have so many customizations that the custom scripts are 3 times as large as the distro scripts

so don't ASSUME, cause you make an ASS out of U and ME, mostly you though

psz

Administrator
Phantom said who would want to *HOST* it.

Take yer own advice, Beez ;->

(For the record, you're a bit silly if you are using a version now TWO releases old)

ssalter

Account Terminated
Actually, it is personal preference what version is used. If someone built their shard using b36 and is happy with it, why should they update? Updating a version is only useful if it adds definite value to your unique circumstance. In the majority of cases, upgrading is a very good idea but not all.

KillerBeeZ

Knight
psz said:
Phantom said who would want to *HOST* it.

Take yer own advice, Beez ;->

(For the record, you're a bit silly if you are using a version now TWO releases old)

um...

Phantom said:

OR USING an older version (time to start reading and stop scanning posts)

I really don't give a flying (insert words of choice here) if I look silly, I'll upgrade one day when I have the time. I work 60 to 80 hours a week and don't have time to convert my entire world over to a newer version. It would take at least 2 weeks to do so, and unlike many of you, I work for a damn living.

I have all the functionality that you find in 1.0 already in b36 with the exception of a few small things I'll never use (which includes a few things in the core)

now before you go and tell me to take my own advice (which I do) why not try and read the words on the page, I'm really getting tired of being flamed because people cant take the time to read what was actually said and ASSUMING they understand everything

Status
Not open for further replies.