RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO 1.0.0 Source code is online

Status
Not open for further replies.

psz

Administrator
Funny... 90% of all pages on Demise regarding bugs or other problems are... Due to client's not being patched to the latest...

There is at least 1 bug on the Bug Tracker that is *DIRECTLY* due to using an older client (Bug 141)

ssalter

Account Terminated
psz said:
Funny... 90% of all pages on Demise regarding bugs or other problems are... Due to client's not being patched to the latest...
There is at least 1 bug on the Bug Tracker that is *DIRECTLY* due to using an older client (Bug 141)

Well duh...Demise uses the latest client, right? No wonder people have problems if they don't patch.

If a shard requires the latest client then the users should definitely make sure to patch. However, if a shard uses an older client that they provide via UOG then no one cares a whit if the client is patched a million times.

psz

Administrator
As I said, though... Many people use *MULTIPLE SHARDS*

If you have 1 shard that is using the latest client, and 1 using 4.0.0c... Well... Problems happen.

Now, if EVERYONE is patched up like they should be (As RunUO doesn't support anything BUT the latest client), there are 0 problems from shard to shard. (Also prevents problems when people also play OSI... Which *MANY* do, contrarty to common beliefe)

Also, you cannot provide a client via UOGateway. You can provide custom patches TO a client. There is a major difference.

ssalter

Account Terminated
psz said:
As I said, though... Many people use *MULTIPLE SHARDS*

that is a highly accurate statement.

Also, you cannot provide a client via UOGateway.

that is a highly inaccurate statement. I and many other shards I have visited do supply a custom client via UOG. You were not aware that was possible?

All ya gotta do is rar it, add it to your uog patch list and voila, a custom (old?) client specifically for a single shard that in no way conflicts with the client in your main uo directory.

Phantom

Knight
Your also breaking the law, and the user is also breaking the law.

The client has a copyright on it, thus its illegal to download it.

ssalter

Account Terminated
Phantom said:
Your also breaking the law, and the user is also breaking the law.

That is irrelevant to the discussion but thank you for making that clear for those that are unaware of it.

psz

Administrator
I and many other shards I have visited do supply a custom client via UOG.

It is very relevant. If Mr.Fixit finds out which shards do this, he is OBLIGATED to remove those shards from the list.

Then how do you propose to handle situations?

KillerBeeZ

Knight
its not offering the client, they still need to have the CD and have installed the game in order for UOGateway to even d/l it

it works on UOG, if it was illegal, why would he have coded support for it in the 1st place? Its not like you can just use UOG to upload any files and UOG support them, they only support what it is coded to support, there are hundreds of shards using different versions of the client, its not using the older client thats illegal, its offering it to the public for download, and since UOG will not work without UO installed in the 1st place, they already have the client, so its is not offering the client, its retro fitting the one they already have, but doing it in a way that DOES NOT (and I repeat for those who I've already said this 3 friggin times now) IT DOES NOT cause ANY compatability issues because it DOES NOT use the same folder.

Its not illegal, I've looked into it, I won't take the chance of doing something illegal, and if it is to be illegal, its a subject that has yet to be discussed, therefore still legal until deemed illegal, at which time I'll find another way.

now, that being said, what the hell is the point of this?

this has gone way off topic and I for one am tired of explaining, it seems noone actually reads anything I say anyway, and this "hey you can't do that" tone here sounds more like someone is upset because they were wrong. What happened to the "community" part of RunUO? where are those who actually care? I didn't join RunUO to be harrassed, I came to get support for an awsome emulator, but the emulator is only as good as the community that uses it, so lets make RunUO better and quit this immature bullshit and get back to whats important.

sirens song

Wanderer
KillerBeeZ is absolutely correct except for the assumption that because it is coded as support in UOgateway it is not illegal. But I agree it will not impare EA games sales anymore than it already is impared due to RunUO and other emulators.

ssalter

Account Terminated
psz said:
It is very relevant. If Mr.Fixit finds out which shards do this, he is OBLIGATED to remove those shards from the list.

inaccurate but thanks for taking the time to post. KB has been correct from his initial post with the fact that his custom setup is fine and suffers no degradation of value to his players. Upgrading to the latest client just because it is new is ludicrous. IF there is a good reason to upgrade, go for it, otherwise wait and see what new bugs might have been introduced into the system. That is the only rational way to handle it.

psz

Administrator
I never once said "UPgrade simply because it's new"

I said "Upgrade because the newest RunUO's require it for support"

Same as RunUO: Upgrade to the newest RunUO, because otherwise you get no support"

To say "I don't want to upgrade because it may take time" is just a stupid as saying "I want to upgrade so I can say I have the latest version"

There is a REASON to upgrade. RunUO 1.0+ uses different connection routines, has *NUMEROUS* bugfixes, and in all ways is VASTLY supperior to previous version.

However, it ALSO has had to change things, thus making previous UO Clients obsolete, in terms of support.

As the Devs, Mods, and pretty much the VAST majority of users have repeatedly said: If you don't use the latest RunUO, you get NO support. If you have the latest RunUO, you NEED the latest client.

Period.

If you don't want to upgrade, I have a suggestion: Don't post here.

Status
Not open for further replies.