RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO.com forum change complete

Ally5465

Wanderer
Ryan said:
Its a fucking IE problem, not a forum problem.

i like the changes. good going and thanks for the effort you put into this place. now as to the ie problem do you mean the different sizes of the text boxes? cause that is a lil odd on my eyes. if it is an ie problem could you please say how to fix it?

Thraxus

Sorceror
Looks fine in FireFox, but its definitely not getting along well with IE.

It wouldn't be something you could fix in your own personal installation of IE. The skin templates would have to be changed in order to accomodate IE's.. quirks.. ;)

IE likes to have table cells share the available column width equally unless told specifically otherwise, while Firefox will, more appropriately, allow the right-most cell to consume the remaining available space after the other cells have taken only what they need. Some simple editing of the tables used to generate the forum's pages can correct the issue simply enough, but it is technically a quirk of IE, not a bug in the skin's templates.

And for the record, I like the new skin.

Phantom

Knight
Thraxus said:
Looks fine in FireFox, but its definitely not getting along well with IE.

It wouldn't be something you could fix in your own personal installation of IE. The skin templates would have to be changed in order to accomodate IE's.. quirks.. ;)

IE likes to have table cells share the available column width equally unless told specifically otherwise, while Firefox will, more appropriately, allow the right-most cell to consume the remaining available space after the other cells have taken only what they need. Some simple editing of the tables used to generate the forum's pages can correct the issue simply enough, but it is technically a quirk of IE, not a bug in the skin's templates.

And for the record, I like the new skin.

Who expects IE to work right for anything, use firefox its better, or at least use an application that makes ie work like it should.

ssalter

Account Terminated
Ryan said:
Its a fucking IE problem, not a forum problem.

80-90% + of all browsers currently utilized are IE variants. Ones personal preference for a web browser does not come into play when attempting to portray a professional site. Basic design concepts include considering your audience. Thus, it is very much a forum problem. It might be good to allow the users the option to switch back to the old template which was much more professional and usable. But, as I said earlier, we can adapt. People can get used to almost anything.

Thraxus

Sorceror
ssalter said:
But, as I said earlier, we can adapt.
..by downloading and installing Firefox. ;)

Also, I don't see why people are calling the new theme "unprofessional". It looks fine to me. Someone want to point out the "unprofessional" part for my benefit? Aside from its incompatibilities with Internet Exploder that is, as I'm very much aware of that already.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Man dont worry about it... just be like me.

just like the 95% of the people in this world that still use IE, 95% of the people in this world are IMPOSSIBLE to please, therefore I give up.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
God, grant me the serinity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Drull

Wanderer
Heh, I'm an IE user. The forums look pretty crappy like this, but it'll be something I'll have to deal with I guess. I'm not a fan of FireFox. All my settings, bookmarks, etc are all tweaked in IE, where I'm comfortable. Just because someone says I should, isn't enough reason for me to make the switch to another program just to view one website. I mean, I have absolutely no problems with IE anywhere else I regularly visit, it's stable and fast. *shrug*

Still preferred the old look of the forums, not just because they worked properly in IE :p

Shadow1980

Wanderer
Ryan said:

just like the 95% of the people in this world that still use IE, 95% of the people in this world are IMPOSSIBLE to please, therefore I give up.

Actually I agree with ssalter. Simply stating "use firefox" isn't really in any single way being considerate about this community. Fact is and remains 95% of the users DO use IE, and they DO have these issues.
I'd encourage you to check how it looks in IE, it's really not efficient or pleasant reading. This isn't to "make Ryan angry" or to diminish on the work your trying to do to improve the RunUO forums, it's a constructive criticism which I hope you will pick up on, and attempt to find a solution.
I would be happy enough being able to load the forums in the old template, or any other fix you can think of. I think this would help a lot of users and be an improvement to the community. Simply stating "Download Firefox" is really not going to do it tho.

I'd eventually quite like to become a subscriber, but for that I would have to be able to browse the forums in a way that isn't giving me a headache. A lot of people will think the same, so it's really in everybodies interest to have a viable solution for IE users.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

p.s. Besides for the table width and some of the flashing stuff, the forums are quite nice. I like simple clean layouts for forums where mostly code is discussed.

Thraxus

Sorceror
I don't think it would be terribly difficult to alter the template file responsible for the display of the posts and compensate for IE's shortcomings. I've had to tweak with themes before to get them to handle cell width properly in various forum packages for display in IE. You just have to be more firm with IE to get it to do what you want. ;)

But its not my website, so its not my call to make.

Viago

Knight
Ryan said:

i use Iex over mozilla and over netscape. personaly i dont like firefox. cant run most java apps that i use. aswell as i have to edit my styls and themplets to suit it a lil

the forums work fine for me on iex, just the posters who post that end up -------------------------------------------------------------------------> are the ones with the problium, inept user maybe?

ssalter

Account Terminated
It isn't really a big deal. I've seen much worse. lol. Still would be nice to have a CP option to switch back to the original one though. I imagine this package can do that, most forum packages allow alternate templates at a user level.

Greystar

Wanderer
In IE is does look like crap, but since i have and use both Browsers (IE and FireFox) I just switched all my links for RunUO to Firefox.

I think the differenct between the IE problem and Other browsers is because Microsoft Always has delt(sp) with Absolutes. So IE is looking at the absolute value of how a thread is displayed and displaying it that way, whereas other browsers either Ignore that or support it in a far more flexible fashion. So who's to say which is correct, for the longest time I stuck with IE, then switched almost exclusively to FireFox, now I use both depending on what im looking at.