RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan's behavior in IRC [RANT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakko

Wanderer
Ryan's behavior in IRC [RANT]

Heya all,

Let me first of all say that runuo is great, runuo shards are great, the runuo devs are great. Basicly everything is great, and everyone should be gratefull that runuo is free and that the runuo community is such a great community.
With that being said, it's time to move on to the stuff that is not so great.
In my opinion there's only 1 thing that's really not that great about runuo community, and that's Ryan.

I didn't really get to know Ryan myself before last night, but I allready heard several stories about him and his sometimes "special" way of moderation of the forums and IRC room.

Yesterday I started talking about Kerry and Bush in #uogamers, and even though it started out as a pretty respectfull and interesting discussion, Ryan soon threw in the "Kerry is a fucking fagot" lines.
After telling me my opinion is completely nullified because I am European, I told him he should stop making ignorant statements.
After this I was not only banned from #uogamers but also from #runuo

After talking to several members of the staffteam of uogamers and runuo I noticed that more people think he has a rather special way of dealing with critism and discussing in general, but that people are afraid to go against him because everyone who does eventually ends up on the banlist.

Now of course he has done a lot, and without him there would not be runuo at all, but does that mean he can act like a dictator?
Some will probably say, yes it does.
Being a runuo admin, I really apreciated having the #runuo channel to ask questions, and if I would have known that Ryan banns people like this I would probably just have kissed his ass and apologised just like the rest.

I wonder what others think of this, I suspect every person who did go against Ryan in the past to have been banned from this forum, so I do not expect a whole lot of support.

I hope that Ryan will respect his own rules and leave this topic unmoderated.

psz

Administrator
I disagree with Ryan on a LOT of things. (Politics being many of them ;->)

Considering the topic in #UOGamers, though, I'd have thought common sense would say "Don't bring it up"

(In case anyone didn't see the topic: ITS RYANS BIRTHDAY IF WE CATCH YOU VOTING DEMOCRAT YOUR ACCOUNTS WILL BE DELETED. Yes, it was a joke, but it's also pretty self-explanitory :-P)

As I recall it's usually better to not have an opinion if you're standing on someone else's property and they have a shotgun pointed at you...

Politics, Theology, Class and racial discussions are usually best kept in your own home with people you know or sooner or later someone will take offense.

If it's the beforementioned person with the shotgun taking offense then the results are very much predictable.

If you offend me in my house, I kick you out, whether I am wrong or not has absolutely no relevance whatsoever. I assume something similar applies to forums and IRC channels.

cward

Wanderer
I don't think RunUO irc channel is a place to discuss politics. Its there for support and is best used for that. Discussing politics, racism, sexual preference, and nationilism will only result in angering someone and is best kept to yourself. It was only ignorance on your behalf to bring up such a discussion in a channel where so many people have different opinions on such subjects. #RunUO is for support not politics 101. Ryan is kinder than most, for one I would have banned you for this topic just to ease the stress associated with people like yourself. Running such a large community is stressful and I understand why he does what he does.

SlapHappy

Wanderer
cward said:
I don't think RunUO irc channel is a place to discuss politics. Its there for support and is best used for that. Discussing politics, racism, sexual preference, and nationilism will only result in angering someone and is best kept to yourself. It was only ignorance on your behalf to bring up such a discussion in a channel where so many people have different opinions on such subjects. #RunUO is for support not politics 101. Ryan is kinder than most, for one I would have banned you for this topic just to ease the stress associated with people like yourself. Running such a large community is stressful and I understand why he does what he does.

can you read? lol

Jakko said:
Yesterday I started talking about Kerry and Bush in #uogamers, and even though it started out as a pretty respectfull and interesting discussion, Ryan soon threw in the "Kerry is a fucking fagot" lines.

If that was the truth i would say Jakko was treated unfair.

Ashenfall

Wanderer
I too have been banned by Ryan before.. for what I felt was childish reasons. (Stemming from a similar incedent in #RunUO IRC).

I was pretty upset because I had sent him money for his "Golden Tee Fund" and made intellectual / support contributions to the RunUO community in general. Then I remembered that as the others here are saying, that this is his house. He has a right to throw your ass out on a whim. I've done nearly the same to some of my players on shards that I've created.

Needless to say, I no longer have any thoughts about contributing money to RunUO development.

I think that the developers (Ryan included) have done a fantastic job of building a robust, stable, and open emulator. Coming from the world of sphere, this package was the best thing since sliced bread. Ryan's done a great job of leading the team, organizing resources, funding projects, and keeping things together. He's just got some attitude problems.

My advice: You'll either learn to deal with it or you won't. You can protest, start your own emulator site, sue, hack the core, make funny faces, etc... Good luck with that. But as the old adage goes... "Don't shit where you eat".

Jakko

Wanderer
tejster24 said:
It's the RunUO IRC channel, Ryan can do what the hell he wants.

It was the uogamers channel you illiterate clown.
And we allready knew Ryan can do what he wants, that's not the point.
Never mind.

Phantom

Knight
Simple fact what you think of the Bush and Kerry is pointless because your not an american.

You were wrong to even talk about a race that you have no part in.

Note Ryan faught for this country he knows what went on in Iraq he knows the truth. He knows even though Bush has his flaws that Bush did the right thing with sending our men and women to free Iraq.

Ryan has told me this, and I have thanked him for his services.

I suggest instead of trying to get support from a bunch of 14 yearold ( only people who will support you ) that you take a good hard look at what he has done for you. Then if you still have a problem, then talk.

Otherwise STFU!

cward

Wanderer
SlapHappy said:
can you read? lol

If that was the truth i would say Jakko was treated unfair.
After this I was not only banned from #uogamers but also from #runuo
Yes I can, can you? If you bother to read where he did this at and who he's talking about then you would understand. #RunUO and #UOgamers are both Ryans IRC channel used for support regarding RunUO and the UOGamers shard. Now maybe you should learn to read.

Who cares if you think he was treated unfair. Its not your IRC channel and Ryan has every right to remove anything he dislikes from his channel.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
Mabey could have been handeled better, but everyone is right....it is ryan's decision how he run's his site and IRC.....so your just SOL

mabey instead of starting this and saying that the one bad thing about RunUO is the guy that started it, is mabey contact him in e-mail and just talk to him.....most people here that have been here long enough and worth at least their weight in spit....can have a decent disussion on a disagreement that they have

other than that, don't go trying to ruin peoples names....especially established people.....it won't get you anywhere but banned from the site along with the IRC channels

cward

Wanderer
I think this may have gotten him banned.
After telling me my opinion is completely nullified because I am European, I told him he should stop making ignorant statements
I don't think you would walk into someones house and make that statement unless you intend to get you ass kicked in some fashion. While #UOGamers and #RunUO are not a house they are controlled by Ryan. If I said that to my boss I would be fired. Even though this is the internet people are going to react in the same way as the real world. They are going to remove you.

Jakko

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Simple fact what you think of the Bush and Kerry is pointless because your not an american.

You were wrong to even talk about a race that you have no part in.

I noticed that about everyone on these boards stopped taking you serious so I won't even bother.
Ah well, at least you're famous. yey!

Jakko

Wanderer
cward, even though I find your view on things very creative, I do not think such a comparison makes sense.
I have been in loads of IRC rooms controlled by loads of people who did not agree with loads of things I said, that's no reason to treat someone like this.

Besides this, every other subject is talked about in this channel, if politics is so strictly forbidden (which it is not as long as you agree with Ryan) it should eb clear to people who enter it.

cward

Wanderer
You had to have seen the topic in UOGamers and should have known such a discussion would have caused problems. If you neglected what it said then it was your own fault for not reading it.

Dark_Konoko

Wanderer
noticed that about everyone on these boards stopped taking you serious so I won't even bother.

Phantom is a valuable member of this community, and anyone who matters respects his views on things. You, on the otherhand, are useless....

Status
Not open for further replies.