RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Script Magic

Iain

Sorceror
Downloaded from the link only to find it does not include the source. Just the compiled exe. Not on my machine I'm afraid. I'm sure you have a great little tool here but an executable without source has no value for me. There are just too many destructive things that *could* be in that exe that my anti-virus isn't going to pick up.

Downloaded from the link only to find it does not include the source. Just the compiled exe. Not on my machine I'm afraid. I'm sure you have a great little tool here but an executable without source has no value for me. There are just too many destructive things that *could* be in that exe that my anti-virus isn't going to pick up.
hahahahahahahaha. You best delete UO itself from your hard drive, its not open source either. Razor too for that matter.

Iain

Sorceror
hahahahahahahaha. You best delete UO itself from your hard drive, its not open source either. Razor too for that matter.

Lets see...

• Trust Zippy, a developer with a very long history of making excellent contributions to RunUO that i have personally had conversations with going back to the old UOX days - Check
  • Trust Origin (EA), a commercial company that produced the original commercial game we all rely on for RunUO - Check
  • Trust some random person on a forum that 'claims' it's safe - Not gonna happen.

Lets see...

• Trust Zippy, a developer with a very long history of making excellent contributions to RunUO that i have personally had conversations with going back to the old UOX days - Check
So basically only established developers can release closed source products and have trust? Everyone else has to release their source? Way to help foster new development in the community. According to your rules, these projects would have never taken off.

Krrios Client
ConnectUO
Razor
Dragon
UOLandscaper
UOArchitect
WorldForge
InsideUO
GumpStudio (started closed source)

and guess what?
RunUO (started closed source)

Iain said:
  • Trust Origin (EA), a commercial company that produced the original commercial game we all rely on for RunUO - Check
hahahaha wow. Commercial software is immune to malware. Oh, Except Sony. And Apple. And Securom (EA, Ubisoft, Take Two and every other major game publisher)

Your entire argument here basically consists of "I don't believe in Security through Obscurity, unless those doing the obscuring have really big money bags"

Iain said:
  • Trust some random person on a forum that 'claims' it's safe - Not gonna happen.
It's been out since 2006. It's more likely that you are infected then this software. Some "Random" Person. Everyone starts somewhere. Zippy was some 'random' person before he was well established. So was krrios, Jeff etc, and allof their projects started out being closed source projects, even RunUO.

I just love the people who say only open source software is safe, because its clear that they don't read the source of the software they advocate, they trust others to do the auditing for them. 'Random' people on mailing lists and forums.

Nice quotation marks around 'claims' btw, without putting emphasis on that word, I would have never got your meaning.