RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smoking Banned in State of Illinois

Johabius

Knight
Courageous;733900 said:
Thankfully, it now no longer is, eh?

C//
Exactly, and hopefully someday We the People will stop wanting the government to hold our hands and tell us what is right and what is wrong.

TurboABA

Wanderer
Lol, fuck Illinois never plan to visit that state now..
Fuck America if Ron Paul doesn't get elected, were all destined for judgment day.

Johabius

Knight
TurboABA;733906 said:
Lol, fuck Illinois never plan to visit that state now..
Fuck America if Ron Paul doesn't get elected, were all destined for judgment day.
Judgment day pre-supposes a belief in god.

Now, I don't really mind if individual businesses decide to restrict smoking on their property. I'll either go elsewhere to conduct my business, or I will refrain from smoking while I'm on their property.

A Nanny State is not what we need in America.

Courageous

Wanderer
Johabius;733905 said:
Exactly, and hopefully someday We the People will stop wanting the government to hold our hands and tell us what is right and what is wrong.

Johabius. I agree with you.

But it's more like the majority wanting to tell the minority what is right or wrong. Don't blame the mysterious government, it itself is just people, representing other people.

Everyone always wants it to be simple. It's really not so simple.

The best definition of politics I ever heard was "who get's what". Unfortunately, it's oh so very true. Politics is this big process where everyone comes to the table with a personal agenda. The system then comes to a sort of equilibrium state in response to that.

I remember another amusing quip that has some merit. "Don't tax you, don't tax me, tax the fellow behind the tree."

Too many people want something, but don't want to put up for it.

Anyway, my take on all this is to defund government. The reality of any government is that it can only do what it has budget to do. The other thing you can bank your life on is that the more budget there is, the more likely some bureaucrat will do something with that budget.

It's unfortunate that we've gotten around to legally enforcing politeness. Unfortunately, that's a good deal of what all this smoking legislation is about.

C//

Johabius

Knight
Courageous;733927 said:
Johabius. I agree with you.
*has heart attack*

the majority wanting to tell the minority what is right or wrong. Don't blame the mysterious government, it itself is just people, representing other people.
Except in the case of rampant political correctness, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

It's unfortunate that we've gotten around to legally enforcing politeness. Unfortunately, that's a good deal of what all this smoking legislation is about.

It's more than unfortunate, it's really sad. When you have to have legislation in order for people to be polite to one another, something seriously went wrong somewhere.

Courageous

Wanderer
Johabius;733931 said:
It's more than unfortunate, it's really sad. When you have to have legislation in order for people to be polite to one another, something seriously went wrong somewhere.

Seriously. Sometimes I think this is because it's no longer okay to give someone a vigorous ass kicking. It used to be that certain forms of verbal provocation were considered to be "fighting words". What happened to that? I'm not at all convinced changing that made us more civilized.

Speaking of this, you know, it's always been more allowable for a girl to be rude to a man than a man can be to a man. A long time ago, a girl said something very rude to me. She was with a guy. Her "backup," I guess. I looked at him, and said: "if you can't control her, I'm going to kick your ass RIGHT NOW!"

He grabbed her elbow and pulled her out of there just like that.

Funny stuff.

C//

WarAngel

Wanderer
You can only spend the money you have. If you borrow money, that means you have more money. You may owe someone because of it, but you now have a budget.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Johabius;733931 said:
Except in the case of rampant political correctness, but that's an entirely different can of worms.

Hardly. People seem to feel that political correctness is something propagated by some Agency of Niceness. You are free to use the N-word or call a woman a bitch or whatever you feel like, but you have to be willing to accept the social ramifications from other people that action will entail. An excellent example of this was when I called Rosetta a slut. I got reamed for it, and not by some governmental entity forcing political correctness on me, but by other people on the forums.

WarAngel;733977 said:
Hardly. People seem to feel that political correctness is something propagated by some Agency of Niceness. You are free to use the N-word or call a woman a bitch or whatever you feel like, but you have to be willing to accept the social ramifications from other people that action will entail. An excellent example of this was when I called Rosetta a slut. I got reamed for it, and not by some governmental entity forcing political correctness on me, but by other people on the forums.

Yes. Bingo.

Rosetta

Wanderer
WarAngel;733977 said:

Your right about the social ramifications point.

On the other hand we both got all the aggressions out of the way and found peace in the end so all is well that ends well. :eek:

Courageous

Wanderer
WarAngel;733977 said:
Hardly. People seem to feel that political correctness is something propagated by some Agency of Niceness. You are free to use the N-word or call a woman a bitch or whatever you feel like, but you have to be willing to accept the social ramifications from other people that action will entail.

Of course you are right about this.

Somehow, however, I don't think that someone who objects to political correctness is complaining about not being able to say 'nigger' or 'bitch'.

Deaf people are deaf. They are NOT hearing impaired. :)

C//

bzk90

Lord
so we should gather up all the kkk and all the black people and gay people and have them call each other names?

Courageous

Wanderer
bzk90;734024 said:
so we should gather up all the kkk and all the black people and gay people and have them call each other names?

We should take all the KKK folks to a gay biker bar, and tie them up in a bentover position. We could pretend the name calling is sweet nothings.

C//