RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorious' In-game Forums

Seven

Sorceror
Sorious said:
Ah, damn, well what happened was I hadnt been saving the enum for the threadtype, now that I am, it automatically made everything a sticky. Bummer, I will see if I can put something in the next release. Otherwise if you dont want to wait just delete them :) Sorry hehe.

Its alright ;) I deleted them and just made a sorry thread heh ;)

Swerve_jnr

Wanderer
wow this is unbelievable, wicked! i love it, so i wonder if this could be synched so that you could show it online and people could reply online and it will appear in-game, i have lots of ideas just don't know how to script so you might wanna chat sometime . . . .

Jeff

Lord
Swerve_jnr said:
wow this is unbelievable, wicked! i love it, so i wonder if this could be synched so that you could show it online and people could reply online and it will appear in-game, i have lots of ideas just don't know how to script so you might wanna chat sometime . . . .
No it cant be synced as is, you would have to do some heavy heavy coding, I wont ever put that in cause I dont feel like getting headache :) My whole purpose of this script is to have something that you can drop in and use, the more options you make in the setup the more problems you get down the road, if I were to create this to hook up to SQL or some sort of database, I would only be opening pandora's box on those that don't know how to setup those types of things.

Your idea's are welcome, you may either post them here or send me a PM.

Ethmir

Wanderer
Prayers to the gods?

I had an idea that may seem dumb to some shard admins, but I can't seem to get the idea out of my head.
In my shard each of the Staff members play a role of a god, representing specific races of people or professions. How difficult would it be to have multiple forums on one shard. Like having a message board that you can type longer messages on, so that at the temples of each god (or staff, admin) the Players could leave messages or prayers specific to their favored god or admin.

Or a Forum for each Guild that's made in the shard?

I know that I could just DL multiples of this and rename each of them, but there has to be a simplier way of having multiples. So I wanted to voice that idea.
Thank you for Posting this, It'll be goign in at the next reboot as a "God Only" forum for the moment...

Thank you.

Ethmir

Sorious said:
Great idea about the book, but as far as the admin functions, can you name a few things that you would want? I can't think of many things that would be useful enough to put on the stone.

Maybe a management system staff can access at the stone such as the ability to do some type of sticky and the ability to ban or unban users. Things like that then when staff click the stone a gump with all of the options would pop up. You could also create an option for the admin to export the contents of the forum to a file. Just some options you could add to kind of expand this and allow the users more flexability with it.

I have to say this is a pretty killer idea though. I agree with the fact that its a pain to have to open a browser and go to a forum when you can just use this for small chatter and save room on your shards forums for important matters.

Jeff

Lord
Ethmir said:
I had an idea that may seem dumb to some shard admins, but I can't seem to get the idea out of my head.
In my shard each of the Staff members play a role of a god, representing specific races of people or professions. How difficult would it be to have multiple forums on one shard. Like having a message board that you can type longer messages on, so that at the temples of each god (or staff, admin) the Players could leave messages or prayers specific to their favored god or admin.

Or a Forum for each Guild that's made in the shard?

I know that I could just DL multiples of this and rename each of them, but there has to be a simplier way of having multiples. So I wanted to voice that idea.
Thank you for Posting this, It'll be goign in at the next reboot as a "God Only" forum for the moment...

Thank you.

Ethmir

If you check the 1st post I will always be updating it with things that I am working on and what not. The two I have listed their now pertain to exactly what you wanted

1. ForumBoard - like a Bulletin Board ID
2. Craftable Personal Forums

Soon my friend soon :)

Jeff

Lord
evil lord kirby said:
Maybe a management system staff can access at the stone such as the ability to do some type of sticky and the ability to ban or unban users. Things like that then when staff click the stone a gump with all of the options would pop up. You could also create an option for the admin to export the contents of the forum to a file. Just some options you could add to kind of expand this and allow the users more flexability with it.

I have to say this is a pretty killer idea though. I agree with the fact that its a pain to have to open a browser and go to a forum when you can just use this for small chatter and save room on your shards forums for important matters.

Ya thats all in the works, Infact next release which is about 90% tested atm will have most of what you described.

Also every thread is already saved in a file in /Data/Forum/<PlayersName>/threadID.sfe <- its really just a .txt file however.

goofykid

Sorceror
well its nice and all but tip make it so accesslevels above the one u set it to can lock and delete post too because i have a script where i can be an accesselevel above admin and i want to be able to lock and stuff without constantly changin my accesslevel i can find the script and send it to u iff u need it to look at it

Jeff

Lord
goofykid said:
well its nice and all but tip make it so accesslevels above the one u set it to can lock and delete post too because i have a script where i can be an accesselevel above admin and i want to be able to lock and stuff without constantly changin my accesslevel i can find the script and send it to u iff u need it to look at it
Umm, ya it does that. If you set the level of the access to lock a thread to GameMaster, well Seers and Administrators can do the same.

Sorious said:
If you check the 1st post I will always be updating it with things that I am working on and what not. The two I have listed their now pertain to exactly what you wanted

1. ForumBoard - like a Bulletin Board ID
2. Craftable Personal Forums

Soon my friend soon :)

When you say a forum board like bullitin board ID I have to grin because the idea of hanging these at banks so players can access the forums and post is awsome.

Jeff

Lord
evil lord kirby said:
When you say a forum board like bullitin board ID I have to grin because the idea of hanging these at banks so players can access the forums and post is awsome.
that would be the point :)

Joeku

Lord
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in that last statement?

Don't use that tone of voice with me, young man!

*slaps Sorious*

I have to say this is one of the coolest scripts I have seen in a while. I never could use those crappy bulletin boards and kind of wished there was something better but this is pretty sweet. One of the greatest things about it is the fact its doesnt require a mod to any distro scripts so anyone can toss it in and start using it and for those who could do mods we are all glad we dont have to haha.

Jeff

Lord
evil lord kirby said:
I have to say this is one of the coolest scripts I have seen in a while. I never could use those crappy bulletin boards and kind of wished there was something better but this is pretty sweet. One of the greatest things about it is the fact its doesnt require a mod to any distro scripts so anyone can toss it in and start using it and for those who could do mods we are all glad we dont have to haha.
Ya, when i started this that was the goal, no distro mod necassary. And thanks for the positive feedback, I really appreciate it.

My next 2 bigest goals are:
1. Making this a craftable item that anyone can have. The problem with this is, the was the system is now, its global and only one forum, therefore i was considerably sloppy with storeing data and stored more then I needed now that I looked at it. If you were to duplicate this system accoss the server, the memory needed for it would shoot up 10 fold, I'm currently working on reducing this even in the current system, but in that lies the problem that I may need to make some sort of conversion system :)
2. I'm looking into revamping the way I store data and in doing this I may be able to have some really cool new features, My only hurdle is trying to make the new way still keep the old posts :( I'm not entirely sure if it will work, but thats what makes if fun for me, the dilemas :)

You know I think just having the forum board craftable as an addon for your house would be fine because it would just open the forums like your book does the thing that makes it nice is you can post from your house instead of going to the bank to do it. Maybe it isnt something needed but it gives that extra option and that is something alot of people dont look at. The more options you can add to a script the better it is. It just gives those who use it more ways to do so.

Ok so I have noticed a couple small things that are a little annoying and might be better.

When you view a post there is no back button was this intentional? Would be nice to be able to hit the back button to view other posts.

When you sticky and announce something at the same time it is just a sticky. This is something that really doesnt need fixed but it would be a tad nicer if a post that was an announcment and sticky at the same time had its own hue or something to let people know its not a regular sticky.

The forum admin stone is visible to everyone. You should probably set that to not visible so only staff can see it.

The forum book is not moveable. Just wondering why really maybe make it moveable.

Well anyhow most of that are just minor tweaks that might improve this but the back button would be the most important one.