RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE DEATH PENALTY -- Are you pro or against it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Token

Wanderer
Also for violant criminals. Remember that also a major purpose of a prison is to reenable the people to insert themselfs in our community when they are through their judgment. Normally it is already difficult enough. If someone say got 5 years for [insert some crime here] and all you do is to torture him 5 years, afterward not help himself, well then he will have not choice but to fall into a crimenal life again.

For example you have to let them watch the news, read a newspaper, to keep themselfs informed, you have to keep the somehow busy on an intelectual level, prepare them on the job that they have to do afterward. If the sociaty makes it impossible of prisioners to job afterward a prison-verdict they will have no choice but to continue their criminal career.

If you want to treat them all in prisons like **** you can also kill everybody for everything. Meaning not just murder but any crime that is punished by imprisonment.

Where do you get that we kill everyone for everything? You do not know anything about America but what you read.

L

Lost User

Read the text once again, and try to understand _WHAT_ I said...You know what a if sentence is?

zerozen

Wanderer
Death Penalty

Scary statistic for all you people who think killing is ok:
http://www.acs.ohio-state.edu/units/research/archive/ronhuff.htm

10,000 people every year are wrongly convicted of crimes in the united states every year. And just because it's muderer doesn't exclude them from this statistic. (and this is in 1990!! there's a hell of alot more people in jails now)

What causes wrongful convictions? To find out, Huff and his co-authors created a database of 205 wrongful convictions collected from a variety of sources. After analyzing these cases, the researchers found that most wrongful convictions resulted from a combination of errors. The main cause in more than half of the cases -- 52.3 percent -- was eyewitness misidentification.

If you lock someone up for life, you take him off the streets. Mission Accomplished right?

But you can later release him and compensate him if you discover that you made an error. If you kill him, you no longer have that option and you also send a message that violent solutions -- executions -- are approved by the state. Is it really not ok to kill?

L

Lost User

Since 1973, 107 people in 25 states have been wrongly convicted to death penality. (and have been released during their 10 year waiting time to death)

Also once again for the statistic how fair law seems to be:
Persons Executed for Interracial Murders:
White Defendant/Black Victim - 12
Black Defendant/White Victim - 178

Tim

Wanderer
I've seen this thread floating around and I've avoided it. I decided to read it and I did read most of it, so I figured I'd drop in my 2 cents.

Note: You can't change some one else's opinion, that's up to them, so don't give me any shit about mine.

Point One: Increasing concequences will not deter people from doing what they're gonna do. I deal with stupid people every day. I know.

Point Two: My mother grew up fine and her mother took a belt to her for discipline. There's much more fucked up issues revolving around what makes people do what they do. Because I'm a sensitive person, I could never take a belt to my kid, but a smack or two on the ass is not beyond me. A belt was tradtional back then...to say the least. All the pussy "don't abuse children" crap targetting people who discipline their children explains all the soft, spoiled brats that plague the internet. Next time you load up UO, take a look around... Or hell, turn on Jenny Jones.

Point Three: Death Sentance. That's a tough one really. Let them rot til they die in prison or kill them with lethal injection, gas or electricity. You know something? Putting them in prison is the same as killing them. You've taken away their freedon of choice. Fucking period. Good night.

L

Lost User

Aye Tim, couldn't resist anymore, ehh? :)

Well good opinions should be based on information and facts. But of course they are also influenced by personal expiriences in our pasts and opinions of people we value (like an uncle workink as a guard, the opinion of your daddy, prefessor, girl-friend, etc. etc.).

Why do we have different opinions? Because we have been presented different informations, expierenced different things, and know different people. However an opinion should ideally be based on information soley, and well as information changes the opinion changes. ((Yes it is possible to manipulate people opinions by manipulating or just mere filtering the information they are presented, (this is common tactic in every regime, ours europe and usa (CNN) are no exceptions).

For example before 6-12 months ago I was an advocacy for the irak war. Opinion based emotionally. Get rid of the sucker. And yes a year ago the war was already foreseeable, preparations were already visible. But as the matter got hot, I've been informed a lot more on the topic, and accessed much more information, and got to the opinion it's wrong, and am an adversary now. why exactly is off topic on this thread. So for example my opinion can change.

Now back on topic. For example the site:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/

I appreciate it's way a lot. Of course it has a bias, you cannot deny that. But nowhere they are saying directly and simply "deathpenality is wrong". Thats an opnion not an inormation. They are only presenting facts over facts. And talking rationally (not emotionally) there is not a single pro fact I know of which cannot be (easily) invalidated.

i believe anyone who feels they can decide when a person should die (by killing them) does not deserve to live themselves. forget about jail, they just using up spots for the good people (drug dealers etc)

G

gorgan

AGAINST

I certainly disagree to this. Why kill, for killing? It's like saying you hate gays, but you're gay yourself. It's like stealing something stolen from the original theif.

My point: It's almost hypocritical!

Confusing? I think not.

G

gorgan

Token said:
1. I am pro death pentaly all the way

2. If someone kills your father or mother you would just want them in prison for life? No! You would want them dead. Kill the people that kill simple as that.

But how the hell do you know if THEY did it or not? Unless you see them do it, you don't want to kill someone innocent.

G

gorgan

Re: My opinion

Medjai said:
The death penalty is necassary in many cases. I believe that someone who is sentenced to life in prison should be executed. This would open up space in the prisons.

If someone is going to be in prison for life, they might as well be put down. Its not even painful any more with lethal injection. What's wrong with ridding the world of murderers.

As with the hypothetical question, I believe the man should be executed, of course, he would be killed in the prison system any ways. I don't know if any of you realize what other prisoners do to people who rape children. It isn't a pretty site and most don't live through it. Why do you think child molesters are placed in protective custody, its so the other prisoners don't kill them.

Thanks for reading my opinion.

I think that the death penalty should be optional by the convicted. Some people are sentenced to life and would rather die.

M

Medjai

Gorgan, that might be a good idea, but it would be immorale to give those who took others lives away a choice in the matter.

If they wish to die, perhaps thye should be forced to live and vice versa, this would never work though as it would only lead to a massive controversy.

L

Lost User

gorgan said:
Token said:
1. I am pro death pentaly all the way

2. If someone kills your father or mother you would just want them in prison for life? No! You would want them dead. Kill the people that kill simple as that.

But how the hell do you know if THEY did it or not? Unless you see them do it, you don't want to kill someone innocent.

Additionally, there is some important legal concept, it's who has rights at all in which case. For example if I see you stealing the car from my uncle, I can well tell that the police, but beside beeing a witness I don't have any rights about the car, on you or my uncle. I am not allowed to take it back myself etc. This is only a matter between you, my uncle and the folk as community.

Another example (in europe) you also can only sue a compy for unfair competition if you are a competitor. Otherwise you don't have this right in this case.

So back to the topic "If someone kills your father or mother you would just want"... It does actually not matter what I want! Of course I do have strong feelings, but this is a matter between the folk and the murderer, to decide what best (in the long term) for the folk. I may have a right for assistance to get over the really terrific loss (psycholigical and/or economical aid), but I certenly do not have a right on mere vengeance.

The murderer has to be convicted in the way which is best for the folk, not in the way which emotionally satisfies single persons.

Q

Questar

someone does that, don't do either. wait till court day and shoot him yourself ;>

Status
Not open for further replies.