RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lack of respect shown by so many to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom

Knight
When I said we I meant they, or the community as a whole.

Like I said, if Ryan made this site subscription only, we would be paying access to the site not for RunUO.

Of course I am sure they would go to the effort of making it only downloadable via a special link.

jevansfl

Wanderer
I would fully support a subscriber only RunUO forum model. The Dev's deserve a little respect for what they have created. People that have payed for subscriptions tend not to cause the problems.

Anyways, I just want to thank you all for RunUO, it is what made me get off my ass and learn c#. I now support myself developing software written in .net.

Don't let a few assholes ruin a good thing and a truely great community.

Thanks!

Agetian

Wanderer
Admiral said:
Agetian, don't you think that u r trying to sit on two chairs using one ass?
On one side you are talking about "russian dorks like Wyatt" and on other that you can't afford credit card. You are lying about 4 HL DVD's, or maybe you mentioned "licensed by Vasiliy"?? Credit cards are much easier to open, than you said. I personally opened my visa electron about 5 years ago, to pay for my OSI account, same did hundreds of russian OSI players.
You r trying to support Ryan, but don't want to pay for his work, isn't that silly? :))

Sorry for the off-topic, but this is getting old already!

If you live in Moscow, maybe that's the case. If you live where I live, it's not that easy. We don't have all that visa electron services here OK? Well, we kind of do, but that commercial bank that provided that type of credit card was closed abut a year ago and all the credit cards provided by that bank were closed as being illegal. And the only thing we can have here is like visa classic / mastercard (or something like that - I don't care about the names) which is 6200 rbls (I checked this yesterday, just to make sure), which is a HUGE sum of money.

However, if this makes things easier or clearer for you, I don't care about myself in this case. I have enough money to open a credit card for 6200 or even more roubles, and donate money if I will have to - to whoever needed. Don't YOU worry about my money, man, OK?! I care about average people who won't be able to subscribe because they'll need to wait forever to open that dang card!

You're not the man to accuse me of "lying", "sitting on two chairs using one butt", or whatever else. Do you understand this?

Once again, as I said, I would GLADLY pay for Ryan's work. And I WILL do that if there's going to be a donation button on this site or something like that - and this will happen no further than summer'2005 when I'll be going to the USA for half a year. Making donations there is much easier than from my small town in Russia. I DO appreciate Ryan's work and the work of all the staff @ runuo.com, as opposed to you.

So, please think before you speak next time, OK? Moreover, we both know who YOU support here - you support that dork Wyatt according to what you have said when you sent me your silly private messages. Therefore, we have nothing to speak about with you, for, as I said to you privately, I don't want to have **anything** to do with Wyatt and his company. Since you belong to that category, I don't want to have anything to do with you. So shut your mouth and find something good to do, OK?

In case you'll try to offend me in some other way, on this forum or privately, you'll get no response at all. Such silly people as you are better ignored than responded to.

- Agetian

Vidi

Page
Technically, no, requiring a purchase would not be taking a step across the line as in doing so, you're only buying a license to software (RunUO) owned independently of EA. You're not purchasing anything licensed by EA nor does RunUO implement things owned by EA, thus it's not illegal for one to do so. Though you may use things created by and licensed by EA with the RunUO software, the RunUO software itself is completely legal if purchased.

Now, charging money to play on a RunUO shard is a completely different matter entirerly if you're using EA's UO client, as that is an illegal use of privately owned software under EA's license.

So technically using RunUO and Krios' client instead of UO's someone could actually charge players to play on their server?

Not that I would support such a thing. I think it goes against the fundamental philosiphy of emulators, but not being a lawyer myself, Im curious as to the legality of it all.

I can see alot of support for a subscriber only forum. While I personally am opposed to such a thing, I understand the percieved need for a change and if it kept RunUO alive as opposed to pulling the plug, than not only would I understand, but I would subscribe as well.

But I think it should be outlined what subscription means. I realize people have said over and over that you can make requests and you have access to subscriber only releases but describing what a couple of these releases are might go along way to getting people to subscribe. The code itself doesnt have to be shown, just a few descriptions of systems that are subscriber only would do.

It has also been said that the requests often go unanswered so that really isnt a draw to subscribe.

As someone who has not subscribed because ...well, on a limited budget right now trying to keep my business going through a VERY slow and hard year, it seemed frivolous as no real detailed description has been given of the benefits.

Also, there has been no announced Subscriber only RunUO release, which only made subscribing seem even more irresponsible based on my current finacial needs.

I know this sounds a bit unsupportive and I apologize for that. But the small town I live in had a particularly bad year for all the businesses here. We are primarily a tourist town and this summer just never seemed to get warm enough up north here to draw the people in.

Tylius

Sorceror
nachie said:
i wonder why zippy or krrios or any other runuo developer never makes posts like these

I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing that Ryan is the one that's footing all of the costs for hosting the servers, etc. And also, I believe that all the copyright's etc, are owned by Ryan, and Zippy/Krrios are just developers, meaning that they couldn't shut down RunUO even if they wanted to.

Edit: Are you implying that it's wrong of Ryan to make a post like this? After all, it *is* his site

@Vidi, I believe this would be possible *only* if all the data files being used were custom made. If they used any OSI stuff I'm sure they'd be in trouble

Phantom

Knight
Tylius said:
I honestly don't know, but I'm guessing that Ryan is the one that's footing all of the costs for hosting the servers, etc. And also, I believe that all the copyright's etc, are owned by Ryan, and Zippy/Krrios are just developers, meaning that they couldn't shut down RunUO even if they wanted to.

Edit: Are you implying that it's wrong of Ryan to make a post like this? After all, it *is* his site

@Vidi, I believe this would be possible *only* if all the data files being used were custom made. If they used any OSI stuff I'm sure they'd be in trouble
Krrios till recently wrote 90% ofl the code for RunUO. INfact he started RunUO.

The reason Ryan makes these posts is because, he talked Krrios into this. He of course is paying for the bill.

As the author of RunUO krrios retains the rights. Of course Zippy and Ryan both added to the core, so they also retain the rights.

As an author of a program, infact anything a book or anything like that, anyone who is involved retains rights to that object.

Admiral

Wanderer
Agetian, at first don't try to close my mouth - you are not one whom I respect, neither you are forum moderator/admin. Then I don't care about your money, I just said that CC opening isn't so hard and you shouldn't cry about it ;) Then.. from your "silly private messages" I see that you can't tell me anything serious - only "dorks, idiots, etc." =) You registered on this forum few days ago and think that you are cleverer that all others - thats wrong. At least you can't judge situtation wich you know only from one side.
Sure you can ignore me, it's so easy to hide you head into dirt, when you haven't anything to say ;) Best regards, Admiral.

Admiral

Wanderer
Admiral,

I have to comment here. I do support what Ryan has built here. And I am grateful.

But if I have to pay to play, I may as well be playing OSI huh?

I would most likely subscribe if that was required but you see the point right?
I support Ryan as one of RunUO dev's, he really did great good work. But I don't support him in his conflict (?) with Wyatt... but who cares..
I would not subscribe to runuo. I can tell it clearly and I'm not crying about hard CC openings etc. I am able to pay, but I don't want to.

Phantom

Knight
Admiral said:
I support Ryan as one of RunUO dev's, he really did great good work. But I don't support him in his conflict (?) with Wyatt... but who cares..
I would not subscribe to runuo. I can tell it clearly and I'm not crying about hard CC openings etc. I am able to pay, but I don't want to.
Good so don't use RunUO.

If you think Wyatt had any right to do what he did, don't use RunUO

Simple as that, and if you continue to use it your a hipocrite.

x-ray

Wanderer
Agetian said:
Sorry for the off-topic, but this is getting old already!

<< eated by hamster >>

- Agetian

Bullshit... The stone age is far behind, if you really want to pay you find the way out.
Dont try to look poor boy with internet but without ability to transfer money, especially when nobody knows is runuo will be free or not. You starting to crying before this happend.

Admiral

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Good so don't use RunUO.

If you think Wyatt had any right to do what he did, don't use RunUO

Simple as that, and if you continue to use it your a hipocrite.
Please don't tell me what to do, ok? If you think you can rule my life - you are wrong :) As RunUO is free software now - I'm using it. If Ryan decide to make it shareware - I will use old free versions =)

psz

Administrator
Well, in this case, you are clearly wrong. RunUO is free, this is true. However, that does NOT give Wyatt, Spider, or anyone else other than the RunUO devs to do *ANYTHING* with the core. Whether they release it, distribute it, or keep it on their own hard drive, it doesn't matter. It is a closed source application, therefore NO ONE except the Devs are allowed to legally modify the core.

Period.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
You people have proven my point...
you turned this in to a ME ME ME thread.

fuck you.

closed.

Khaz

Knight
This has turned into an utter bitchfest.

Every poster here should be ashamed of themselves. This thread has taken a disgusting turn. I am sorry that I did not realize what to say earlier, but here it goes.

Where do any of you get off thinking you are intelligent enough to claim supremacy over this thread or anyone posting on this forum? Have any of you even looked at the title of the thread you are posting in? I have read the first post of this thread at least seven times now, and I am appalled at how easily it has turned from that subject to this one of “look, mommy, I don’t have to wear diapers!”

I sit here and I think to myself about how it could even be possible for a user of such a benevolent community be so incredibly naive and ignorant. How is it that none of these users feel the sword at their throat? There is a chance that this community will close its doors. That is enough to make my heart stop and the breath in my lungs freeze over.

Ryan and this community support its users. It is a simple strategy, one that has been proven to last for more than three million years in human history (note, this strategy of existence is not evident in our own Taker society, so I am not referring to what you see around you [our society has been existent for only ten thousand years]). It is a strategy of giving your own support, and in return receiving support from the community. This community, this project, the RunUO project…it all astounds me. And it is unbelievable that the users posting above have no sense of morality, no sense of loyalty or even a concern for why this thread exists.

All of the issues discussed above have been settled. Time and again, they will always be settled. RunUO is legal; why dispute that? What advantage does it serve to ask again and again whether or not RunUO is legal? You know what, it does not even matter. If RunUO were not legal, the developers here would not have to read these posts. Some of the users who took this thread off its course apologize for being off-topic. That apology is taken for shit; what good is an apology at the start of the post when by the end you’ve become an utter hypocrite? It was a disclaimer, and nothing more. Legalities don’t matter. Technicalities don’t matter.

I am sorry that I did not take the opportunity to stop this thread from going in its current direction when I had the chance. These recent posts have now obliterated the intent and reason for existence of this thread. This is the swamp of shit that the developers and moderators here have to wade through, and it is no surprise that the time for the decision to go on or forget about it all is upon them. Ultimately, I believe the question Ryan, and anyone else considering leaving, needs to pose to himself is whether or not he is happy doing this. It takes a lot of work to build an engine like RunUO. It takes a lot of work just to build a server. I have also been introduced with catfish players, and I have also questioned whether it is worth it, and whether I should continue. After a year and a half, I am still happy running my server, and I am definitely happy scripting (or trying to). So please, users of the RunUO software, consider for a moment the fact that this community does not rely on you, and that you are not even wanted here if you are going to promote the decay of the community from the inside out.

Ryan, I beseech you to not close the doors of RunUO. I will buy a key, never doubt it, and I will support you in your decisions. But if you need it, take a break. Come to Scotland, and I’ll buy you and anyone with you a drink. The community needn’t be shut down, but it may need to require subscriptions for help and so forth. I am with you whatever step you take, as are many others.

Vidi said it best in that the developers have earned respect. Few others can claim that. I, and so many others, will continue to stand by you, Ryan, Zippy, Krrios, Mark, ASayre, Alkiser, Admin_V, David, psz, and Outkast. I will continue to fight the uphill battle that this has become, and I will continue to support this community however I can. Ryan, I am sorry this has had to happen, and apologize for letting this go so far before putting in another word. The prospect of RunUO closing down makes me want to go to the store for a box of Kleenex. I thank you, truly and always, for what you have done thus far. I return now to my original goal.

Thank you.

Phantom

Knight
If I caused a problem, that wasn't what I mean to do.

Hopefuly the majority of my original reply, made my support of what ever Ryan chooses clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.