RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lack of respect shown by so many to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raynew43

Sorceror
If it wasn't for Runuo, my interest in UO wouldn't be back up where it was 7 years ago. To the devs of this project, thank you for all the hard work you have done.

A friend told me about runuo back a few months ago and since then I may have a total of maybe 3 hours on the EA/OSI shards leaving me at the point where I'm about to close my two accounts real soon.

Ryan, do what you feel is best. You have my support and understanding. Again, thank you for such a wonderful program.

tink

Wanderer
Ryan you and the devs are doing an awsome job with this project and that is why i was willing to become a subscriber, To give you guys at least a small portion of appertian for this elumantor.. ( Please excuss the spelling been working to many hours)

All I can say is, Ryan, you and your team have been doing an awesome job with by far the best UO emulator available. So many have said all of what i wanted to express here so I dont have to write a book on this post now. I fully support you guys and your project and if you go subscriber only i will still be here. If you decide to scrap the project I will be sorry and miss it dont I dont blame you either. Good luck in all you do in the future.

Thanks and God Bless
Dan

LordHogFred

Knight
I bow down to you Ryan and your development team, you all give so much and I don't think that some people see how much time, effort and passion is put into a project such as this. I want to take this opportunity to thank you immensely from myself and all my players because without you the year (so far) of fun and enjoyment that we have had would not have been possible. It is not my place to suggest what you do with RunUO and the decisions that you make will be appreciated and understood.

Many huge thanks to you Ryan and your Dev team,

Lord Hog Fred and the New Dawn players

:) :) :)

Tylius

Sorceror
If it wasn't for RunUO, I would've forgotten about UO a long time ago, and I would've just pushed off C# as nothing.

I don't have a huge speech to say, but thanks for continuing RunUO for as long as you have. Subscriber only or not, I'm here to stay! (Unless it gets shut down of course ;))

Thanks!

HellRazor

Knight
Ryan,

I just wanted to join others here to thank you and the entire RunUO team for providing a wonderful and stable UO emulator for us to use, in addition to a great support site and forums.

I think it's an unfortunate fact of life that there will always be 2 idiots for every 1 non-idiot (I tend to think that's not just in our community but in general). But then again, I'm sure the idiots are not who you guys are doing all this for.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't let the idiots get you down. There are a lot of people who are genuinely appreciative of all your efforts, they are just not as vocal as people who want to run their mouths and degrade what you have accomplished. Until, of course, times like this when it's time for the true RunUO user base to stand up and to make it known how much we appreciate what you do!

I personally would have no problem with a reasonably priced subscriber model. RunUO is certainly worth it to me, which is why I have subscribed and donated in times of need. I think the downside to that would be that copies would eventually be leaked (see my "2 idiots for every 1 non-idiot theory" above, some of these idiots would subscribe too). Also that this might draw more negative attention from the suits over at EA since they might view it as profiting from their program (even if it isn't truly profitable on a monetary basis!) But if you guys decide that is what is needed to reduce the number of idiots and to help properly compensate the team, then I support you 100% and will be among the first to purchase a paid subscription and/or license for RunUO.

In closing Ryan, you have more positive support than you know, we are just not as loud. Don't let the idiots out there get you down. Most of us out here are appreciative of you guys and the patience that must be required when dealing with such a massive user base (which will inevitably have its fair share of jerks and immature people who will not give you the respect you guys so obviously deserve). Please don't let the actions of a few have an impact on the majority of people who have great appreciation for what you do!

Props to the entire RunUO team!

Vidi

Page
I have come to the conclusion that it is no longer the minority of our users who are ungreatful, it is without doubt the majority.

Ryan,

I completely understand why you would feel this way. But as understandable as this feeling may be I think someone should point out to you a few things that may show how incorrect it truly is.

Take a look at UOGateway. See all those RunUO shards? How many admins do you think there are? How many of them are prolific posters here at RunUO?

Let's say its a high number like 75%. Well, thats alot of posters. But still 25% who the community here would almost never come in contact with.

Lets say that of those that post here only 50% are grateful for the work you've done. I don't for a second believe that 50% are ungrateful but let's make the number large for the purposes of making a point.

How many hundreds or even thousands of admins, co admins, gm's or just scripters is that?

Now not everyone has a UOGateway shard. In fact, two of the three I have help put together are not even on UOGateway's public list. And there are tons of people playing those shards. SO how many unlisted shards are there?

No way to know but theres a TON of admins there as well.

And what about all those players?

If every shard listed had only ten players then thats still THOUSANDS of players who owe RunUO for theier gaming experience. But there are planty of shards that have HUNDREDS of accounts.

So thats more like TENS OF THOUSANDS of players. All playing on the system YOU built.

Now I will admit, there's alot of people who post who don't quite understand the legality of it all. I am one of those. I don't get it.

But just because I don't understand doesn't mean I am not entirely grateful for RunUO, the dev team, you and even Phantom despite what most people think of him. Without RunUO, I would not be playing UO AT ALL.

The hours upon hours of enjoyment I have gotten from RunUO. The joy at figuring out how to script a new monster and seeing it in game and wacthing hundreds of players enjoy it all comes from the easy to use easily customizable core which is RunUO.

Yes, I will wonder ( though not loudly or too vocally or even publically ) about the legality of charaging subscriptions for the next release, or irony of the whole wyatt thing. Yes, I will shake my head as Phantom threatens to report a post simply for disagreeing with him. Yes, I will stare at my screen in wonder at another angry post by one of the mods.

But NEVER will I not understand that these are ALL people who VOLUNTEER their time and deserve respect because THEY DAMN WELL EARNED IT.

And NEVER will I be ungrateful for the time and effort they have put into creating a community I am damn proud to be even a little part of.

So please remember, there are literally hunhdreds of thousands of people out there who quietly log into their favorite RunUO shard everyday. They meet with friends and enemies. They forget their mundane lives for a few hours and find some peace and quiet and enjoyment.

And every last one of them would be without that if not for you and RunUO.

They may not post it. They may not post at all. They may even be unaware of RunUO as a community. But each and every one of them is quietly grateful everytime they log in and their character is there to take them away from it all.

Please remember that.

From one of the hundreds of thousands of grateful people,

Vidi

Phantom

Knight
I wasn't going to reply to this thread, I have personal reasons for that. Those reasons if you look back at the few days should be clear enough.

I thought I would suck it up, and just give my support. Clearly I would continue to support RunUO no matter the changes. I would not be here, each day, if I didn't believe in this project.

I hope I can regain my trust in the community, because I am starting to wonder myself.

I have stopped saying I am going to report posts, this change was a request from somebody I respect and consider a friend. However, at times, in order to keep peace ( I understand its not my job to keep peace ), I have to say it. So everyone knows the only time I will tell somebody I am going to report a post, is if they try to cause harm to this project.

So if you find a thread locked one day, and a moderator has replied, don't wonder what happen. Its the duty of this community to report posts that break the basic rules of this forum. If people start report posts that break the rules, perhaps those people that break the rules will stop causing trouble.

The thread with Wyatt made something clear to me, that only a few people that replied understood what Wyatt did was wrong. This is very clear by the support he got, and users saying he would be missed. I also know this was only a small group of people, whom have not given back to this community, so I am not shocked with their comments either. This is also clear by certain users feeling I was out of line calling Wyatt out on the fact his script didn't work.

People say there have been users banned that have submited scripts. The only two users that have been banned have been Gold Draco and Wyatt. Wyatt doesn't really count since his scripts didn't even work. Yet people forget about the people that provide support to 100's of users each day. The moderators are the first level, then they are informed users, then they are the random people.

If you want to give back to this community, help provide support to those users that need it. There is no reason NOT to help these users, and can only help the community grow.

HellRazor

Knight
RunUO is the greatest success story in the history of UO emulation, period. No one has come close to what you guys have accomplished in the same amount of time (or otherwise).

RunUO has almost overnight become the emulator of choice, crushing not only the ultra-popular (but bug-ladened) Sphereserver, but even POL which was generally regarded as the most customizable and stable server before RunUO came on the scene. Most shards that I have seen these days (wisely) use RunUO. I think this is a pretty good sign that the devs are right on track with their "quality vs. quantity" philosophy. If people are impatient sometimes, its only because they love RunUO, and they just don't always understand what its like to be in your shoes and to be badgered constantly over the same questions.

As others have said, you've brought a lot of joy to not just thousands, but TENS of thousands of people all over the world who are enjoying something you guys have created. The size of this community alone speaks volumes, and the user base here are only the people who are using the forum, its only a fraction of your actual user base. In addition to the enjoyment of private and custom UO game servers, many people have learned (or started to learn) programming through running a RunUO server.

That is a lot of people who have benefitted from your hard work! And I tend to think that most of them are not like Wyatt and other occasional jerks who come around to ruffle your feathers - most of us respect you guys too much to get our jollies by trying to push your buttons when you have given us so much of your blood, sweat, and tears on this project.

Don't sweat the script kiddies. Any asshole with a decompiler can do what Wyatt did. But none of us will use a haxx0red RunUO or support their efforts, they are pariahs. Wyatt will go the way of the last asshole who threatened to decompile RunUO (anyone remember him? Not surprising).

The success of this project is a testament to you, the RunUO devs. And make no question that this project is as dear to us as it is to you. I project that this thread is going to grow and grow over the next few days with people posting their appreciation so that we can show you that guys like Wyatt are a minority here.

But we understand that none of you owe us anything - quite the opposite, it is we who owe YOU. Thanks again for RunUO. Hope you keep it around for awhile, but even if you don't, thanks all the same!

I'm making another PayPal donation as an added sign of my continued support for you and all your hard work. RunUO rocks my world! :D

CatLord

Wanderer
Phantom

Ignore your retractors. I agree off and on you seem a little eager to report but you do so with the proper intent, for the bettering of the community. Now before anyone thinks I am sucking up to you or anything I have been on the receiving end of your sharp tounge and wit but honestly I kinda deserved it. Now how I mean ye seem a little eager off and on.. in the Subscriber section I asked in the Script requests for a script and ye informed me in the forums you was reporting me for requesting a script lol (understood we all make mistakes). Wyatt was in the wrong though and it needed brought into Ryans attention. He is busy and people watching like you and a few others is the only way he knows this is happening.

Sep102

Page
I would just like to point out the fact that because RunUO uses no code produced by EA, meaning the software is completely original, it is allowed to be licensed any way that the developers see fit and is not restricted under any terms that the EULA from EA may incorporate as the software does not force you to create, run, maintain etc, a shard nor play on a RunUO or any other emulator-ran shard.

The same can be said about many different things, Mono for example emulates the .NET platform on Linux and Wine emulates the Win32 API, and, unless I'm mistaken, neither are restricted under any of Microsoft's licenses as they are not Microsoft's products nor do they incorporate the code that Microsoft has produced and has exclusive rights to.

Other than that little outburst by me, I'm going to ignore him and commend Ryan as well as all of the other developers (which includes most of this community because almost all of us have developed something for RunUO whether it be a simple script or a piece of the Core) on a job extremely well done that I would very much like to see continue.

HellRazor

Knight
I think ballless "1-post wonders" who make phony accounts so they can make anonymous flame posts are "penzy clowns".

You don't give a damn for the community (obviously), well guess what - we don't give a damn about you either.

So please un-ass yourself and get the f*** out of here. Or perhaps a moderator can help that along?

Shade said:
LOL. Thats all i can say.. You all including your super duper Ryan sound like bunch on penzy clowns....
We dont give a damn about your whole "i cant do anything by myself" community, which are paying for their subscription and just wait with their mouth open when Ryan feels good enough to give them away his leftovers...
And everybody that has some kinda beef with Wyatt - have it because they all envy him because of his open-source and because ya'll didnt think about the thing that Wyatt realized URSELF, and there is nothing to do with the licence because you yourself dont have any licence at all because Electronic Arts (EA) with heir licence forbids to make any kind of shards.
Everybody was up for the open-sourse we told you in a good way to do it, Ryan even made a voting process and most of people were for open source, but then he just forgot about it or something i dunno. And thats they way you get it NOW :mad: !

Sep102

Page
Relax a bit HellRazor, it's actually much better to ignore such people than to allow them the knowledge that on some sort of level they've accomplished what they've attempted to do.

People like Shade are only trying to incite some type of turmoil and usually tend to disappear after they realize that no one cares for or about their petty and unfounded insults.

HellRazor

Knight
You're right. Children always crave attention, the best defense is to deny them that.

I bow to your wisdom! :)

Sep102 said:
Relax a bit HellRazor, it's actually much better to ignore such people than to allow them the knowledge that on some sort of level they've accomplished what they've attempted to do.

People like Shade are only trying to incite some type of turmoil and usually tend to disappear after they realize that no one cares for or about their petty and unfounded insults.

Phantom

Knight
Shade

Go learn how to spell, alright?

If RunUO is ever open source, then it will be, but its not going to happen until Ryan and everyone else feels that it should happen.

Till then take your third grade education, and go jump off a bridge.

mikial

Sorceror
I,ve read all the posts and Sir I understand what has happend. I am the middle age man whom does not speak out , does not want to be in the spotlight, and did not understand UO very good. Till I came here and was introduced to RunUo, and how to play UO.

I personally will tell you that I value your product and opinions, and there are more just like me whom are in the back area, remember us we are those whom are loyal but don't make a loud noise, we are those who share our ideas about RunUo and all its capabilities, but dont try to be in the spotlight.

There are those of us whom are mature and respectful users and players of yuor product, and may times we say in different posts Great Job, Hats off, ect. ect. I know sometimes one bad apple can spoil, the whole bushell, but its the farmer whom decieds when is the right time to pick the apples before that bad one gets a chance to do its deed.

You have a great gift, and you owe it to you yourself to decied if be from your gut as you have said, just remember this Sir There are those of us whom are there and respect what ever the choice may be, and we will be rooting for you. so remember " I respect you and your time you have given to teach me of your world and all its wonders". Thank You, and Hats Off.......

Yours Respectfully Mikial

Vidi

Page
To reply...

Phantom,

My mention of you was not an attack on you, but a statement of support even if I don't agree with everything you do.

The bannings of GD, Wyatt and Dupre ( you forgot Dupre, who's token system is still used on almost every shard I have browsed in the last year ) were all justified bannings. I said this in the other thread and I will say it again. Justified bannings still diminish our community as a whole.

Just because someone disagrees with certain things does not make them ungrateful. I am grateful to you, Phantom, for all the help you have given me. I have said so on numerous occasions and will continue to say so both publically and privately.

I am grateful to Ryan, Asayre, Psz and all the devs for the work they do.

I am grateful to TheOutcastDev for his hard work on Spellcrafting.

I am grateful to Nerun for his spawn package which saves me ALOT of time and effort and allowed me to respawn an entire facet with nothing but custom monsters in practically no time at all.

I am grateful to Asayre for the Shrink System.

And so many others who's work I have downloaded to make my shards better, more fun and more immersive.

And I understand how a Moderator or Dev can feel their work is being taken for granted. I've been in exactly that place before. I was ready to quit until someone reminded me how many people accessed what I had done and used it but never commented because it simply wasn't their way.

So I say again for the thousands upon thousands of players that log into RunUO shards on a daily basis, we ARE grateful. And thank you.

Vidi

ASayre

RunUO Developer
I still dont' see what's so great about that damned token system and why everyone wants to use it :-p

I speant a week just trying to think of a name for a redeemable 'emblem' type thing on UOGamers a while ago so I didn't hafat use the word token to be associated with that system ;>

/end mini-rant

Jarrod

Sorceror
sidsid said:
Just look at it like...
Wyatt just flew his planes into the RunUO towers.....
how do you respond.

You move ahead. You deal with the situation at hand, then you put it behind you and move ahead. No reason to let the actions of a single person or group of people keep you from completing tasks at hand.

and of course, blast-fax-kudos to all Devs who maintain/support the emulator.

Vidi

Page
Asayre,

HAHAHA! That's funny, man ( funny ha ha not funny as an insult. Dont want to be misinterpreted ;-) )

Well, it gives the admins of a shard a way to hand out special items in a way in which the players actually have to earn them over time, not just camp a single monster until it drops. This helps to maintain balance while giving players items they always wish for in real UO. Like portable forges, or bank bells for example.

The fact that you were looking to install a simular system shows that it was a good idea. The fact that you were trying to distance yourself from the system shows your feelings about the systems author. Our feelings about the authors of systems shouldnt ( in my opinion ) bias our feelings about the system itself. For example, Wyatt broke the rules. He was banned and rightly so. His return post as I_am_Back shows his true colors. But does that mean I should remove his paragon code from my shards? No. My players enjoy it, especially with paragons on all facets. So, to remove that code simply because it was written by someone...less than savory, to put it nicely, would injure my players. So it will stay.

Lets say I didn't like TheOutkastDev for some reason. If that were true, should I deny my players the Spellcrafting system?

Or if I didn't like you, should I deny my players the Shrink System?

I like Phantom but I dislike races and levels in UO. Its a personal thing. So I dont use his Race/Level system.

None of these decisions are made based on my like or dislike of the authors of the systems themselves. And, in my opinion, it shouldn't.

I owe it to my players to create the best shard possible within my own persoanl beliefs of what makes a great gaming experience.

I believe as admins that is what we have promised to our players. And we best deliver.

On a side note, if youre seriously opposed to using the token system but want something simular you could try the following:

A redeemable point system would work instead of a token system if you haven't found anything yet. As UOGAmers already has factions and its kill point system ( Im guessing ) It might not be too tough to adapt that point system for other things as well.

Anyway, this post is really off topic thread wise so Ill end it now.

Vidi

Status
Not open for further replies.