RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The lack of respect shown by so many to us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin_V

Wanderer
Ryan has every right to feel what he does..

Ive been running a uo server for 6 years
and its had ups and downs big and small playerbases..
and you always have someone or a group trying to hack cheat have no respect and whine about things ..
There was a time when i asked em what there problems were to try to help or understand they talk to you with no respect they complain about everything and in general are just a total ass so now i dont even ask...ive adapted to a new rule to players like that... I just ban em..

My point is i enjoy running a server but what makes it worth while for me isnt the fact that i enjoy it alone.. But the few Players that have stuck with us through it all that enjoy the server. To me thats worth everything ive ever gone through ...

Ryan:
Man do what you feel you need to..
But all i ask is consider the few that do enjoy and respect what you all have done and try to help this community...
You all have created a server that by far outways and out performs any other emulator out there... And given something to us that some dont deserve to get a hold of...

Admin V

sirens song

Wanderer
I love runuo

Run UO is a fresh alternative to the ill fated sphere. I would hate to see it go. Its my favorite emulator out there, and if theres anything any of the RunUO staff ever need of me, I would hope they just ask. They have provided me with hours of entertainment via their software, and for that I am greatfull.
-Jamie

sidsid

Sorceror
As I mentioned in another post its the minority who voices the loudest. I find it hard to believe that out of... what... i cant guess, but say, 10,000 people using (at least very casually) RunUO, the majority are trouble makers. Of course the majority are stupid, and may ask a lot of dumb questions and get frustrated and whine, but only a few are actually proud about harming a community and becoming such a name on everybody's mind. It’s akin to virtual terrorism. They are making that big of a scene. I don’t see any “H4X3D RunUO Sitez0rs” on the web. Its just a group of low skilled angry people trying to make a stink. The biggest scene in this community for a long time has been Phantom and him pissing off users, and he is a supporter of RunUO, and the people he pisses off tend to eventually become outspoken supporters too. There is no reason for you to give in to Wyatt’s group just because they are obnoxious fools. If you are truly tired of things in general and want to move on, then it's a different story. There are still a lot of people who support this place, and would be willing to help out however necessary. None of us are worth much as a whole, but at least you’ve got an army.

I'd support a subscriber only model.

I was hoping the community was going to go more to the route of subscrition only several months back.... I have paid and continue to pay EA/OSI hundreds now approching thousands of dollars if not already and not gotten even a fraction of the satisfatcion I get from using RunUO. hell I have paid 30 bucks for stupid screen savers which now sit in dark corners of my data drive or are archived off to cd rom. RunUO is something I have used every day for the last two years and at what cost, maybe 50 bucks in donations. I still hold that the money I have donated to RunUO has in the long run actually saved me money, as I hardly ever run out and buy the latest release of some new game, looking for my next fix as it were. Hell ask my wife for years before I would spend 50 to 100 dollars a month buying the latest game. in the last two years I have bought three disks at a combined total of just under 100 dollars. can you guess which three they were?

thats right AOS, 7th, and SE. funny thing is I even though I pay my subscription to OSI I have probably logged under 12 hours in the last 24 months with them. But I will continue to buy their disks as a means of supporting something I use... I would, as I feel most of the community would, do no less for RunUO.

120% support going to subscription only basis.

Admin_V

Wanderer
i agree with silver wolfe
If need be go with a subscription base only..

And at sidsid ( i may have taken this wrong but)
Phantom does piss people off but cant lean towards one person when the majority just want free shit..
Phantom is honest and most of the stuff people do look for or on these forums already...and the ones he pisses off are the ones that tend to show lack of respect..
but thats who phantom is no ones gonna change him and he shouldnt have to change for anyone.. He is a supporter of this community and has helped out alot ...
Hell i remember phantom from sphere boards lol

Phantom

Knight
Admin_V said:
i agree with silver wolfe
If need be go with a subscription base only..

Phantom does piss people off but cant lean towards one person when the majority just want free shit..
Phantom is honest and most of the stuff people do look for or on these forums already...and the ones he pisses off are the ones that tend to show lack of respect..
but thats who phantom is no ones gonna change him and he shouldnt have to change for anyone.. He is a supporter of this community and has helped out alot ...
I really hope your right most people look for the truth, and not the "truth" in the sense telling them what they want to hear.

I really hope its the first, and not the later, otherwise I have similar feeling that Ryan feels ( regarding ) is it worth it.

By no sense, do I feel I am not of help, or I don't enjoy it.

I hope you know, I don't try to piss people off, thats a side effect of people being young.

sidsid

Sorceror
Admin_V said:
yea, you took it wrong.
I like Phantom.
I said the biggest source of stink has been him.
And since he supports the system, and his victims tend to support it also, there is no reason to give in to a lesser cloud.

Admin_V

Wanderer
hehe

i agree with ryan as well
im not saying anything bad about you at all phantom so dont take it that way ..

im saying that the majority of the people that seem to have problem
tend to name you as part of it...

You in no way can control what people say and how they reply to what you say...
Its just people dont want to stand up and take the reponsability of there actions themselves
they have to blame it on some one and of course the finger (because of your honesty) always points to you...

Have you ever had a thought then when you put it to text it just didn't come out right? I think I just had one of those moments...

By the way awesome job PSZ. I may have found a reason to stop running a shard....

Khaz

Knight
Ryan, Zippy, Krrios, Mark, Asayre, and the moderators here...

Two years ago I wanted to take a programming class in C++. Introductory only, but I hoped it would help me on my way. I dropped it after realizing I would never succeed. Six months later, I made a scroll that kills the person who tries to use it. The day after that, someone used the scroll and turned it into a flower that killed anyone stepping near. A year and a half later, I sit at my desk in a new country, with a new computer, new ideas and beliefs circulating in my skull. I sit here with seventeen windows open: my server, my client, #Develop, five notepads, Word, Internet Explorer, GumpStudio, Photoshop, and a few other applications. What am I doing? I'm scripting a combined race and class system that is more advanced, more in-depth, more accurate, more usable, more organized, and better for role-playing shards than any similar system I have seen in the submissions, subscriber and non-subscriber.

Two years after I failed an introductory C++ course with no hope of programming anything on a computer ever, I run a popular (to those who know it) role-playing server receiving a compliment a day. It doesnt keep the doctor away, but it does give me a sense of pride that I never hoped to attain.

I have a college essay that was due two weeks ago. The research is sitting on my desk, next to my mouse. I had a week off when I could've easily put the essay together. What was I doing instead? Running my server. No, I am not saying this is a good thing (don't worry, I won't fail classes because of this). I'm not even sure where this is leading. Many users posted their sentiments before me in this thread, and others. Now is my chance.

I dont know if you, Ryan, or the other developers and moderators read my two cents posted in Wyatt/Ivan's return submission yesterday. I know Phantom and others did, and they can provide you with the general idea if you didn't get the opportunity first-hand. To my recollection - which is poor, to say the least - that was the first time I had put forth how I felt on the forum here. I have started to on other threads, on various issues, but always ended up hitting the back button a couple times and returning to my browsing. I believe Wyatt took the border line of the community, ripped it apart, stepped over, and shit on our side.

Time and again I have read posts about the contributions, helpfulness (or lack of), attitude, or forum behavior of individual RunUO users. I have read your replies to personal attacks, Ryan, and to attacks on the community (if you are to ask my opinion, I will tell you that an attack on the community is a personal attack on the developers of RunUO). I know, without a doubt, that my ban list would be infinitely long were I to be the decider of such actions here (this is proven by the fact that the IP ban list on my website is already half a page long, and it's only been around a month).

I know it's not my place to do so, but I want to apologize to you, Ryan, Alkiser, Krrios, Zippy, Mark, Asayre, David, Admin_V, psz, and Outkast (any others I missed, please excuse the ignorance - these are the developers and moderators whose posts I remember). I will not apologize on behalf of the assailants of this community, of our 'home away from home, yet still at home.' My beliefs and defensive action of the community should have been swifter and should have been more common than my three posts now.

Since I have lost my way again, I will end my novel with a few straggling thoughts. I believe it was in the right to disallow any and all who bring shame, disrepute, or harm to the community here or anyone involved. I can and do understand why this thread originated. If I had the ability to remove that reason, then I would do so promptly. With the idea of subscription access only, I will say that I will wholly support RunUO and anyone who does the same (the reason I'm not currently subscribed is that I havent yet done so after the forum downtime, which is no excuse, but the best I can offer). I donated $30 directly to you, Ryan, when called upon a few months ago. That may not seem like much to the average working Joe, but at the time I was out of work, in school, with a new female friend, a forty year old vehicle, and a few other expenses making that donation the best I could manage. I would make the same sacrifices for any moderator or developer here (I would say for those who support the community as well, but I have trust issues).

The decision on the future of this community is, of course, nowhere near mine. My thoughts are laid out above. I ask you, in the end, to consider what you have gifted me with. Consider the sacrifices you have made, and understand that even though I have never met anyone else from the RunUO community, I love all the supporters here as I do my brother. In hindsight, there is no place I would rather be spending my free time two years after that wretched class. Finally (again), you have my gratitude, for it all.

From everywhere in my heart, thank you.

Phantom

Knight
Admin_V said:
hehe

i agree with ryan as well
im not saying anything bad about you at all phantom so dont take it that way ..

im saying that the majority of the people that seem to have problem
tend to name you as part of it...

You in no way can control what people say and how they reply to what you say...
Its just people dont want to stand up and take the reponsability of there actions themselves
they have to blame it on some one and of course the finger (because of your honesty) always points to you...
But should I stop being honest? I mean not to stand on a soapbox, because I really hate to do that, but how many people do you see answer people :)

Perhaps I should organize a jolt of reality for this community. Lets see what happens when a good chuck of the supporters, don't reply to people. Maybe the attitudes of some of these people will change...

Hell I need a paid break anyways, so by going on strike I can get paid, and not work :evil laugh:

crabby654

Wanderer
Khaz that was the most insightful and true post I think I have ever read before. When I read that long post I am in the same boat as you practically expect I just started my C++ class and my research paper was due yesterday heh. With me you really hit the nail on the head.

And I wouldnt mind paying the subscriber fee to get RunUO updates. I support RunUO whole heartidly.

Sorry Phantom *tosses a few coins for the preformance* I was still caught up in the elequent post of Khaz......

Oh and what ever your making now double it.... no better yet tripple it!

Agetian

Wanderer
Greetings.

Ryan said:
Truth be told it has nothing to do with loosing interest in Ulitma Online, it has to do with the ungreatful users, and why is it (yes this is a stereotype) that the majority of our problem users are Russian. Do Russian's have no morals?

Well, I'd like to add a comment on this, since I'm Russian. Well, as to the comment quoted above, I'll pretend I heard nothing about Russian people having no morals and all that.

As far as I'm concerned, a whole LOT of Russian people are interested in the RunUO project, me included. So far, neither me nor any of my friends have proven to be troublesome in any way, to the RunUO community or to the Ultima Online community as a whole. We are, on the other hand, trying to be constructive. So far, I haven't released any mod or script for RunUO, but this is just due to the lack of my (and my friends') experience. I can personally say that RunUO is a wonderful project. All the other emulators I have tried (POL, Sphere, Wolfpack - probably something else) feel very simplistic and non-customizable compared to RunUO, simply because RunUO has the whole power of C#/VB.NET at its disposal. I, as well as all my friends in Stavropol, Russia who are interested in RunUO, would like to say thanks for the great project.

In my humble opinion, the trouble lies in people themselves, no matter whether they are Russian, American, British, Spanish, or someone else. There are people in Russia (as well as everywhere else) that are dumb idiots. Period. And, definitely, these people prove troublesome and show disrespect not only to the RunUO (or any other) community, but to the community of all the people in the world (as a whole). Probably, that guy you mentioned - Wyatt - is one of those freaks. And probably he's got a company of similar crap-for-crap idiots who support him. BUT, they don't make our community! They don't even belong here! So...

My advice would be to completely IGNORE those people, or, if they are deeply problematic, BAN them (or something like that). However, I don't want this topic to extend beyond the terms of "mixed-nation-people-of-the-Internet" relations and go deeper into racistic or nationality-based discussions. So far, RunUO community was a peaceful place, a place where you can ask for help and you can be sure that you'll get all the help you need. A place where you actually WANT to help other people. I want this to go on, since this friendliness is what keeps us together, what makes us more than just a community, it's THE Community (capitalized).

Once again I say thanks for the greatest emulator for Ultima Online ever made. Keep it up, guys! I really wish you good luck! Don't allow a group of freaks to stop you from continuing the greatest, unmatched project, and don't let those distractive thoughts and stereotypes turn you to probably one of the worst things we have in our world - racism and nationality-based conflicts!

With respect,
- Michael Kamensky (Agetian), Stavropol, Russia

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Agetian said:
Greetings.

Well, I'd like to add a comment on this, since I'm Russian. Well, as to the comment quoted above, I'll pretend I heard nothing about Russian people having no morals and all that.

As far as I'm concerned, a whole LOT of Russian people are interested in the RunUO project, me included. So far, neither me nor any of my friends have proven to be troublesome in any way, to the RunUO community or to the Ultima Online community as a whole. We are, on the other hand, trying to be constructive. So far, I haven't released any mod or script for RunUO, but this is just due to the lack of my (and my friends') experience. I can personally say that RunUO is a wonderful project. All the other emulators I have tried (POL, Sphere, Wolfpack - probably something else) feel very simplistic and non-customizable compared to RunUO, simply because RunUO has the whole power of C#/VB.NET at its disposal. I, as well as all my friends in Stavropol, Russia who are interested in RunUO, would like to say thanks for the great project.

In my humble opinion, the trouble lies in people themselves, no matter whether they are Russian, American, British, Spanish, or someone else. There are people in Russia (as well as everywhere else) that are dumb idiots. Period. And, definitely, these people prove troublesome and show disrespect not only to the RunUO (or any other) community, but to the community of all the people in the world (as a whole).

My advice would be to completely IGNORE those people, or, if they are deeply problematic, BAN them (or something like that). However, I don't want this topic to extend beyond the terms of "mixed-nation-people-of-the-Internet" relations and go deeper into racistic or nationality-based discussions. So far, RunUO community was a peaceful place, a place where you can ask for help and you can be sure that you'll get all the help you need. A place where you actually WANT to help other people. I want this to go on, since this friendliness is what keeps us together, what makes us more than just a community, it's THE Community (capitalized).

Once again I say thanks for the greatest emulator for Ultima Online ever made. Keep it up, guys! I really wish you good luck! Don't allow a group of freaks to stop you from continuing the greatest, unmatched project, and don't let those distractive thoughts and stereotypes turn you to probably one of the worst things we have in our world - racism and nationality-based conflicts!

With respect,
- Michael Kamensky (Agetian), Stavropol, Russia
As I said in my post, it is absolutely a stereotype and it is not right to stereotype. It is however a fact that the major problem players that actually go through with it were Russian, I am sorry if my words hurt you that is not after all what they were meant for.

For all of you thanks for the support... I will not be making any rash decisions, only well thought out and proper decisions can be made for a project of this magnitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.