RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nobel Peace Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.
WarAngel;718098 said:
Uh, she is fucktard. Notice the blatant use of I. rofl, wow.
Your skill in Detecting Sarcasm has decreased by 45.8%

God I couldn't pass that one up.

Anyways... I don't see how anything he's done promotes World Peace.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;718099 said:
Your skill in Detecting Sarcasm has decreased by 45.8%

I don't see how what he said was sarcastic.

He's working to create a better world. It doesn't necessarily have to be for world peace.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Admin God;718095 said:
speak for yourself.

Why of course I always do. =]
I will also add that I think the venue he decided to take suits him very well.

Take it anyway you want, but the Nobel Peace Prize is hell of a lot more than just a pat on the back. You have to really do something big and world renowned to get that honor. He obviously has made an impact somewhere.

National Geographic

The Norwegian Nobel Committee this morning announced that the former U.S. vice president and the United Nations' climate panel will equally share the prestigious award for "their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change."

Environmental Campaign

Gore has been a leading voice among environmental campaigners who warn that Earth is under severe threat from climate change caused by rising levels of greenhouse gases produced by the burning of fossil fuels and other human activity.

Since leaving office in 2001, the former vice president has lectured around the world about the perils of global warming. Last year he also presented an Oscar-winning documentary on the subject, An Inconvenient Truth.

Gore "is probably the single individual who has done the most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted" to tackle global warming, the Norwegian Nobel Committee said.

My definition of 'Peace' is the absence of violence or war. Maybe I'm wrong, but w/e

His campaign is the environment, not war and hostility. He uses scare tactics and hype to get his point across. Furthermore, he is a politician. Inotherwords, he profits both monetarily and politically (gains self image) from this. I'm sorry, I'm not saying he's a horrible despicable person, but being a politician, I'm not sure he is sincere on it, and is just using it as 'cause'

(For the record I do believe in Global Warming)

Rosetta

Wanderer
Anti-Basic;718114 said:
My definition of 'Peace' is the absence of violence or war. Maybe I'm wrong, but w/e

His campaign is the environment, not war and hostility. He uses scare tactics and hype to get his point across. Furthermore, he is a politician. Inotherwords, he profits both monetarily and politically (gains self image) from this. I'm sorry, I'm not saying he's a horrible despicable person, but being a politician, I'm not sure he is sincere on it, and is just using it as 'cause'

(For the record I do believe in Global Warming)

He's been backing this idea since his college years. It's not new, and it hardly is image as the main concern. And he is going to donate his winnings.

NBC News
Gore said he would donate his share of the $1.5 million that accompanies the prize to the non-profit Alliance for Climate Protection.

Your definition of the word peace is correct.
But there are other factors involved in giving the award. And last I checked his ideas do not have any violence or war involved. He promotes something the world can do as a whole to improve life for everyone on the planet.

You can look up the info if you really don't believe it was a good choice do some research for yourself. You can always disagree, varied opinions are always good. But you're going to have to come up with more than a cynical line or two to prove a point.

touché* (Winkey + R and enter "charmap")

And never said he was pro war or violence. Just that he isn't really anti war or violence either. Which is what I consider "peace".

oh and 1.5 million dollars... thats small change to him.

Admin God

Wanderer
um... I'm sorry...

Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa

...cause I think those names should appear together... not.

Rosetta

Wanderer
*shrugs*:)
Oh well, he won that's just the way it happened. We aren't the people in the committee that had to make that choice so our opinions on it all hardly count to anything.
Agree with the choice or disagree. It's an endless debate.

Admin God

Wanderer
Rosetta;718127 said:
*shrugs*:)
Oh well, he won that's just the way it happened. We aren't the people in the committee that had to make that choice so our opinions on it all hardly count to anything.
Agree with the choice or disagree. It's an endless debate.

agreed. :-\

Rosetta

Wanderer
Just that there really is no clear information.

I personally believe you should compare one mansion to another. Not to a much smaller "average" home.

But I am bored of talking political topics. Whats done is done, nothing we can say or do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.