RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nobel Peace Prize

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Admin God;718124 said:
um... I'm sorry...

Nobel Peace Prize Laureates
Albert Arnold (Al) Gore Jr.
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa

...cause I think those names should appear together... not.

Luckily the rest of the world isn't nearly that retarded.

@AB: Mother Teresa was given the award on poverty initiatives. It doesn't have to be solely for peace, but also betterment of the world. And who gives a fuck if he's a politician? He got himself into a place where he can influence policy. That's more than I can say for any of us who sit on forums and just bitch about shit. He's raised awareness more than anyone else; thank god for that.

Admin God

Wanderer
WarAngel;718133 said:
Luckily the rest of the world isn't nearly that retarded...

Rosetta said:
*shrugs*
...We aren't the people in the committee that had to make that choice so our opinions on it all hardly count to anything.
Agree with the choice or disagree. It's an endless debate.

WA, when did the rest of the world start deciding Nobel prizes?

I never said what he did didn't matter, just that he was in it more for personal gain than genuine concern. And for a Nobel peace prize...

and I don't see where I recommended any of US in his place. I recommended Ishmael Beah.

oh and crime and poverty usually run together... so Mother Theresa helped with crime.. violence included, by helping the poor in Calcutta.

Courageous

Wanderer
<i>Whats done is done, nothing we can say or do about it.</i>

Of course there is something we can say about it!

Are you daft?

There is also something we can do about it. We can refuse to believe he's as clean an pure as the hero worship would suggest. This refusal is a good bet with any human being. We should get over hero worship, fast.

It just ain't the truth.

C//

oiii88

Sorceror
Just noticed in the wiki article it states
According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize should be awarded "to the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between the nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

So to say that it has "always" been given for different actions other than peace is not correct. It may be now but if so I don't see it being given in the true sense of what the prize was designed for.

oiii88

Sorceror
well i believe the basis for your whole rant was it was meant for more areas than peace. which is false..

WarAngel

Wanderer
I guess my question should have been: "Who are you to determine what the Nobel governing board can and cannot give the award for?" If they feel that a person's attempts also stimulate peace, then it's their award to give. As such, it's not false. The governing board determines recipients of the award. The governing board felt that Mother Teresa's fight against poverty was related to world peace, and they felt that Al Gore's fight against global warming was related to world peace. If you dislike that, make your own award and make it prominent.

Rosetta

Wanderer
Courageous;718157 said:
<i>Whats done is done, nothing we can say or do about it.</i>

Of course there is something we can say about it!

Are you daft?

There is also something we can do about it. We can refuse to believe he's as clean an pure as the hero worship would suggest. This refusal is a good bet with any human being. We should get over hero worship, fast.

It just ain't the truth.

C//

Okay, say all you want about it. And you can refuse to believe anything you want. It still won't change that the award has been given and not likely to be taken away. :rolleyes:

I don't think he is clean and pure, I never have. But on the other hand I don't believe anyone over the age of 5 is that clean and pure. The only thing I give a shit about is his cause and that he is spreading the word world wide. This to me is a big deal, but my hero... no.

Admin God

Wanderer
tbh, I think that gore getting the peace prize has just undercut the value of the award. Hard for me to think that there wasn't someone much more deserving out there in the world. Makes me think the Nobel prize is even more of a political thing now than true recognition of superb work.

WarAngel

Wanderer
What makes it not superb? The fact that you don't believe what he has to say? lol. He's raised global warming awareness more than anyone else, and when what he has to say come true, he ought to shove that prize down your throat.

Johabius

Knight
WarAngel;718186 said:
What makes it not superb? The fact that you don't believe what he has to say? lol. He's raised global warming awareness more than anyone else, and when what he has to say come true, he ought to shove that prize down your throat.
Man, the conservative smear machine is out in full force on this one, aren't they?

WarAngel

Wanderer
It's a topic that makes me angry. Not just that people don't believe Al Gore or stuff about global warming global warming, but that they don't even give a shit enough about their own living space to even hear out most of the ideas presented by environmentalists. There are a lot of problems even if you don't look at global warming, and it just makes me so angry that people mock environmentalists despite how much work a lot of them do. Say what you will about Al Gore, but he has spent a very large amount of his personal time trying educate people on not just global warming but the worth of our environment.

Admin God

Wanderer
WarAngel;718186 said:

I'm not disagreeing with the idea of global warming. I dislike the man, not the ideas he is promoting. I see him only aiding his personal agenda as a politician, not as a environmentalist trying to help the world. I don't think he cares about this environmental cause. I think this is evident in his do as I say, not as I do mentality. I'm sad to see a prestigious award given to someone like him. I think him having been awarded it, drags the reputation of the award down. Anyone else who has been working on global warming is more deserving than him... at least in my eyes.

WarAngel

Wanderer
I don't believe that you've ever actually paid any attention to him, his involvement in environmentalism, or anything really involving him, but you're just using the idea that he's a politician and that's what politicians must do to take it out of the way. Is that a fair statement to make? Because some of my biggest environmentalist friends think that he has basically been a godsend to the movement and have seen him as an exemplary model for others to follow. So I don't really see how someone not involved in the environmental movement has any real gauge on how he really treats the issues.

And regardless, the awareness he has raised is undeniable. The global warming movement would be nonexistent in comparison to its current strength if it weren't for his work, and as Rosetta said, it's his life work; he's been involved in environmental issues for most of his adult life. So to try and downplay him as simply another politicizer when all other evidence points to it as not (do you REALLY think a group as prestigious as Nobel could be that easily duped by a total fake?) is just illogical.

Status
Not open for further replies.