RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UO's Next expansion pack...

Killamus

Knight
Saves me the trouble of making a race script... Bwhahaha.
Edit, is this like those little people up in the north pole giving us toys, or like the real elves, ya know, like in LOTR kinda stuff?

Darkadia

Wanderer
Firstly, I think adding elves is a good idea... So many private shards have done their best to add player races for the longest time, and how long have there been rp orcs on UO? I think they should've added a few races LONG ago...

On the other hand, I hardly think adding just elves to the game is worthy of an entire expansion. Okay, give us weapons and armor and clothing that will stop people from asking why the katana is the only asian style weapon in the game... SE added something they should've had long before 3D. But an entire expansion added just for one race? They should add orc and gargoyle paperdolls and give players a choice of races, if they're going to make an expansion based on race addition.

A true 3d client would be soo nice... Or at least, a 3d client that isn't so buggy! But why would they add so expensive a change, when elves will placate the masses? ;)

bzk90

Lord
knowing ea, they will screw this up worse then we can imagine ;/

elves will be strong in carpentry but poor in archery?

MarciXs

Sorceror
yea ... Origin system inc. without Richard Garriot aka Lord British makes Ultima Online worse everyday.They are making Expansion packs but they don't change game engine.I am not saying that need new engine 3d!No I would like to see new 2d engine.Which coul be more better that this what is now.With graphics , ships(which goes not moves) etc.I could type and type but it wont change nothing.All i have to say is Ultima Online is going down down down.

bzk90

Lord
another 20$ to fork over to ea for a half assed expansion released like what 3 months after SE?

i bet those who bought SE arent going to be to happy ;l

joshw

Sorceror
Well they said there subscriptions were down by 10% so yeah SE turned out to be a flop and the new blue hued characters oh my what fun a blue human is supposed to be an elf 2 races to choose from oh how wonderful lmao GAY

bzk90

Lord
and humans can mysteriously become elfves ;/ gene splicing in uo aye?

IDEA

lets beat EA to the expansion ;/ runuo can code it before EA releases it

Killamus

Knight
How can we code it if we don't know spesfics? And spellweaving is gonna be hard, geez, the runuo 1.0.0 isn't even up to par with SE yet..

ChaosSally

Sorceror
Well some of the Stuff they are talking about doing sounds great, ( but they will probably mess it up ), I do think they need a NEW 2D Engine.
But I have a question for Ryan ?, with all the stuff EA/OSI Dev Team is adding, do ya think they spend a LOT of time here ?, stealing Ideas, I mean comeon EA, I know there was a Evil Unicorn posted here, Races have always being posted here, and Quest out the ying-yang.

yea ... Origin system inc. without Richard Garriot aka Lord British makes Ultima Online worse everyday.They are making Expansion packs but they don't change game engine.I am not saying that need new engine 3d!No I would like to see new 2d engine.Which coul be more better that this what is now.With graphics , ships(which goes not moves) etc.I could type and type but it wont change nothing.All i have to say is Ultima Online is going down down down.
I hate to say this, but Richard never left completely. He is still involved with Ultima Online. And I'm not surprised to hear about races, new woods, ect. I'm sure they have been watching RunUO for new ideas. :)

gideon_troy

Wanderer
The ultimate would be if they one day made a 3D engine, that keeps the perspective [top-down] of the current engine, but make the graphics resemble something from the year 2000 perhaps instead of 1980. I still play in 2D because it looks beter than the 3D client hands down. The players look like they have anorexia ffs.

This new expansion sounds like it will be really cool. I like the spellweaving idea. There's actually a free shard somewhere that has something similar, but they call it spell rituals or somethng. Elves sound cool. I saw somewhere people complaining that they should bring in something like gargoyles, but that would be stupid. UO is built from the perspective that you set out to fight the monsters, not that you are one. If they did something like that they would have to make massive changes. Elves are the closest to human without having to change the way the entire UO world works.

Say if they brought in gargoyles. Gargoyles wouldn't be able to walk around in Britain. That just wouldn't make sense. Same with most other races you can think up.

This expansion sounds really really good to me.

But I think we should focus on SE for now. Get the SE content sorted before we start worrying about the next expansion. Worry about it when we and if we get there.

joshw

Sorceror
No I think Gargoyles would work becazuse one of the ultima games you actually help the gargoyles and learn there language so it fits better than having elves. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of races but to add just one race is ridiculous if they are gonna do an exspansion it should invole more rather than throwing this out so that more people subscribe. Wait and see I bet there subscribers will drop another 10% because they are just throwing out a half assed exspansion to feed the money hungry sows at EA

Macil

Sorceror
Well, in Ultima VI I recall being able to add a gargoyle to your party named Behlem (or something similar). You were able to play as Behlem in Ultima VI, what's wrong with playing as a gargoyle in Ultima Online?

Granted, I think the way the paper dolls are and the actual mobiles on your screen work, the clothing and weapons you'd have would fit a little eh, strangely.

I'd like to see a boomerang from Ultima VI in UO if they ever make gargoyles playable. =)

LordHogFred

Knight
To be honest I think that some of the features look really cool. Get away from the elves being the main reason that they're marketing it and look at the quest system, spell weaving and this idea of cooperative collecting. I think that it sounds pretty cool all in all. Just think the changes made to the client to support these new features will open so many doors for scripting quests and new features. I can't wait to get my hands on a working version of this release. That's if RunUO are going to implement these features and stick to the orginal "Make an emulator that is the same as OSI" or whether they're going to take this as an opportunity to make something better.

Just what I think.

Darkadia

Wanderer
gideon_troy said:
I saw somewhere people complaining that they should bring in something like gargoyles, but that would be stupid. UO is built from the perspective that you set out to fight the monsters, not that you are one.

Not necessarily. UO is built from the perspective that you take your place in the eternal battle between good versus evil, virtue versus lawlessness, order versus chaos, British versus Blackthorne. Again I would note that people have worn orc masks and orc helms and pretended they are orcs, and even taking up an orcish language and mingling with the people in every city... And this has been around before Trammel was. Gargoyles similarly have their own language, so what stops players from roleplaying a gargoyle? I'd say it's just the lack of gargoyle masks and wearable wings.

Meanwhile, I've always had the hunch that OSI used emu projects like this to come up with many of their ideas... Back in the UOX days, I went through a complicated bit of work to have leather types, back when OSI showed no move toward having these. My idea was that if you kill a snake and skin it, then you should get snakeskin clothing as a result. I finally conceded that it needed to be simpler. Half a year later, I find that OSI has added leather types! Now, I may not have been the one they took it from, but I am positive they feed off the ideas borne of the creativity in emu worlds where we come up with ideas... And they don't have to pay us for our ideas! Kindof a win/win situation. Sort of.