RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you ban?

Which would you ban?

• Christianity

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Atheism

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 55 53.4%

• Total voters

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
DontdroptheSOAD;731914 said:
I was raised catholic and I totally agree with pappasmurf :/

Fuck all religions.
Never said I disagreed with that part at all :/ (altho perhaps not as harshly as you worded it)

Just the bit about John Paul II

carriehart

Sorceror
Nar Matteru;731913 said:
Well, it would reduce alot.. there would still be conflict because of things like resources, land, population issues, etc

But honestly, carriehart, more people have been killed in the name of god than any other reason.

so yeah, the problems would still exist, but on a much much lesser scale.

It would reduce alot. for how long? Do you think blaming religion for man's stupidity, will reduce our responsiblity, for all the crap, we've done.
And I'll say again, it wouldn't make any differce. Man's greatest trait is finding excuses to hate.

Oh yea didn't morality originate in religion, let's do away with that while we're at it.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Not really. I'm not saying hate will end, it probably never will, but if you remove the things that encourage it, it will reduce it drastically. And stay reduced. Religion is one of those encouraging factors of hate. You have to remember, removing religion, means future ones too.

(not that advocating the forced removal of religion in society, just pointing out how much better it would be without it)

there will always be other reasons for conflict, but with the main one gone, the world would be much more peaceful.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Morals can't really be taught. (by religion or otherwise) You can tell a child not to hit another child, and he won't... in front of you. Once the child has been hit himself, and understands pain, he will understand why he shouldn't do it to another child. Its really more of a self learning/teaching exercise than anything.

Now.. what religion has created is certain societal rules that it wants others to abide by that it likes to call morals, ie homosexuality. But these don't hurt others, and were religion not present, would exist freely and without consequence. They would not be involved in the self learning process simply cuz they are not harmful.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
carriehart;731923 said:
Ok were then, I'm not being a smart ass either I would really like to know.

thank you
when the first caveman realized that being hit over the head with a club hurt, and that he should not do it to another caveman without good reason.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Why is there evidence that cavemen who were incapable of speaking to one another, and therefore unable to have religion, buried their dead and put flower petals around the gravesites?

PappaSmurf

Knight
DontdroptheSOAD;731925 said:
Why is there evidence that cavemen who were incapable of speaking to one another, and therefore unable to have religion, buried their dead and put flower petals around the gravesites?

I think Morality is more based in conscience than in faith. We all have an innate knowledge of right and wrong and how to do certain things. Religion not only acts as if it's re-enforcing those morals but tries to instill it's own which often leads to a restriction of what would be perfectly normal actions for a human being.

But I do find it rather ironic that Humans will justify killing in the name of their favored deity, but without that justification they consider it a sin.

carriehart

Sorceror
Nar Matteru;731924 said:
when the first caveman realized that being hit over the head with a club hurt, and that he should not do it to another caveman without good reason.

Until the next caveman pist him off any way.
I don't rember the last time I was even in a church, I'm not a fanatic, even if religion is man's making, religion is still just an excuse for OUR crimes.

carriehart

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;731926 said:
But I do find it rather ironic that Humans will justify killing in the name of their favored deity, but without that justification they consider it a sin.

Well that's because SOMEONE AS IN HUMAN gave them permision.

Got to give you ++ on that one 100% agree.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
carriehart;731928 said:
Until the next caveman pist him off any way.
I don't rember the last time I was even in a church, I'm not a fanatic, even if religion is man's making, religion is still just an excuse for OUR crimes.
I'm not blaming our crimes on religion at all, just saying that religion is a very convenient and easy vehicle to commit them through.

I don't even get how exactly would you possibly ban them? I mean, you could ban the "gatherings"? But it would be pretty hard to dictate what people actually believe. You would need some kind of mind control for that.

carriehart

Sorceror
My first post on this, lame except for the last part.

carriehart;731869 said:
How about just banning Lawyer's or anyone who act's like one, that should cover everything, politic's, religion, and people who think they know what's best for everyone else.

QUOTE > Nar Matteru
I'm not blaming our crimes on religion at all, just saying that religion is a very convenient and easy vehicle to commit them through.

It's also a convenient scapegoat

Isn't the main motivator behind religious crimes, someone thinking they know what's best for someone else, your religion's wrong mine is right kind of thing. Even if you could ban it, nothing would change, this poll is proof of that.
yea, yea no one got killed here, but if you were to try to inforce this Ban either way.

I did not vote, because this kind of thinking is what's really to blame.

It's just an opinion, and you know what there like that everyones got

PappaSmurf

Knight
Nar Matteru;731901 said:
Islam itself doesn't want Jews or Christians killed, over-the-top clerics preaching it do. On the same level, Atheism isn't "attacking Christmas" or anything of the sort. Certain Atheists are. People can...and do take ANYthing too far.

Thing is where would these people be if there wasn't an organized Religion for them to hide behind? These people are using a fanatic devotion and code of ethics instilled in the population over centuries to manipulate and control them. This comes back to my original point, organized religion is fundamental in the control, and absolvement of basic human morals through providing a means to justify horrendous actions.

Remove the organization yet allow individuals to continue to have their faith, as they interpret it and you lose that shield. You can still pray nightly and go to heaven. You can still strap a bomb to your ass and blow up a bus load of elderly people in the name of your god in hopes of getting 22 virgins in heaven, but you won't have a small group of charismatic jackasses encouraging and and promoting such action. This over all will cause a net decrease in such actions, as the majority of the people are either cowards who haven't a big enough pair to do such things and need the support and initiative or have enough sense to know it's bullshit and stay the hell away from it.