RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you ban?

Which would you ban?

• Christianity

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Atheism

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 55 53.4%

• Total voters

Peoharen

Sorceror
I'd ban that WarAngel guy... Eerr... Um...

I'd ban people from telling me I'm going to burn for the rest of eturnity because I don't follow their religion and worship a flying spagetti monster deity.

If your ub3r-deity was so selfish to torture anyone that did not believe in it, it would have used its smite ability to remove humanity. If your deity only wanted us to better our selves, well, I'm trying. Give me a break already.

PappaSmurf

Knight
I'd vote if.....

I'd Vote if there was an option to ban all forms of organized religion. Wars, hate, and desire for power are the major off spring of organized religion. I'm fine with the idea of people having faith in something. I'm cool with the fact some people are willing to pray to an intangible father figure. I'm OK with people believing in a flying spaghetti monster.. But I'm not OK with people justifying so much bullshit by using religion as a crutch.

If you want to know where I get my feelings on this do a little research.. I know the crusades have already been mentioned but lets add all of the Holy Wars in the Middle East, and the internal wars between sects in Islam, The Spanish Inquisition, and Oh yea that the Last Pope (you know John Paul) for the Roman Catholic Church's Biography mentioned that one of his goals was to bring all churches not just Catholic one's under his control and to irradiate or convert all believers in Judaism to Christianity.

Fact is the 3 of the largest faiths on earth (Islam Christianity and Judaism) all have the same roots with very minor differences up until the end of the Old Testament. Every other faith has parables and stories that promote almost the exact same set of morals and ideals with few exceptions. Fact is all this violence and war is to make people accept a Name and a tradition not an ethical code it's utter bullshit.

I really think the Greeks were well ahead of themselves in how to deal with other cultures religions. Those they didn't conquer, they showed respect for their gods and respected them as equals to their own. Those they did conquer they added their gods to their pantheon. If you don't believe that then by all means go back and read some classic Greek writings like oh the Odyssey, it has examples of this in it's pages.

I'd rather dissolve organized religion and have people accept each others belief than see more nonsensical violence happen.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
PappaSmurf;731877 said:
Oh yea that the Last Pope (you know John Paul) for the Roman Catholic Church's Biography mentioned that one of his goals was to bring all churches not just Catholic one's under his control and to irradiate or convert all believers in Judaism to Christianity.
I'm calling bullshit on that one. Total opposite of who he was. The current pope however...

Also: irradiate - Wiktionary

Joeku

Lord
PappaSmurf;731877 said:
I'd Vote if there was an option to ban all forms of organized religion. Wars, hate, and desire for power are the major off spring of organized religion. I'm fine with the idea of people having faith in something. I'm cool with the fact some people are willing to pray to an intangible father figure. I'm OK with people believing in a flying spaghetti monster.. But I'm not OK with people justifying so much bullshit by using religion as a crutch.

If you want to know where I get my feelings on this do a little research.. I know the crusades have already been mentioned but lets add all of the Holy Wars in the Middle East, and the internal wars between sects in Islam, The Spanish Inquisition, and Oh yea that the Last Pope (you know John Paul) for the Roman Catholic Church's Biography mentioned that one of his goals was to bring all churches not just Catholic one's under his control and to irradiate or convert all believers in Judaism to Christianity.

Fact is the 3 of the largest faiths on earth (Islam Christianity and Judaism) all have the same roots with very minor differences up until the end of the Old Testament. Every other faith has parables and stories that promote almost the exact same set of morals and ideals with few exceptions. Fact is all this violence and war is to make people accept a Name and a tradition not an ethical code it's utter bullshit.

I really think the Greeks were well ahead of themselves in how to deal with other cultures religions. Those they didn't conquer, they showed respect for their gods and respected them as equals to their own. Those they did conquer they added their gods to their pantheon. If you don't believe that then by all means go back and read some classic Greek writings like oh the Odyssey, it has examples of this in it's pages.

I'd rather dissolve organized religion and have people accept each others belief than see more nonsensical violence happen.
If it's not religion, it'll be something else. There's nothing wrong with organized religion, it's the peoples' fault for being dumbasses. Sad truth is, the majority of people are morons :(

carriehart

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;731877 said:

The Bullshit's not with the religion, it's with the people using it as an excuse.
Take away the religion, do you think for one minute those people wouldn't find some other excuse to blow each other's head's off ?

It's not the religion, it's people who use it as a tool to further their own goal's, I'm stating the odvious, This is all pointless, the only way to stop the violance is to get rid of all the greedy, selfish, selfrighteous, egofreeks.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
carriehart said:
The Bullshit's not with the religion, it's with the people using it as an excuse.
Take away the religion, do you think for one minute those people wouldn't find some other excuse to blow each other's head's off ?

Communism is a pretty non religious ideology that was able to grasp ahold of and brainwash people, all in the name of "goodness". In many ways it kinda is a religion. People can become so indoctrinated with their political ideologies that they are more faithful to them than religious people are to their gods.

My beef isn't really with the religion as a whole, or their members. It's their leaders, most of whom are politically influenced. Christ isn't ruining this country, James Dobson and Pat Buchanan are. Islam itself doesn't want Jews or Christians killed, over-the-top clerics preaching it do. On the same level, Atheism isn't "attacking Christmas" or anything of the sort. Certain Atheists are. People can...and do take ANYthing too far.

Lysdexic;731899 said:
Irradiate is perfectly fine in that context, it means to radiate, such as spread about (or in my favorite context, infect).

Code:
(transitive) To enlighten intellectually; to illuminate; as, to irradiate the mind
Is the only one that comes close to that, and is way too positive a word for what he was implying. The word itself just kinda implies too much positivity. Like a radiant sun etc.

I think he meant eradicate or something. Either way he's wrong, John Paul II wasn't about converting or destroying, he was actually criticized by the rest of the church for being too tolerant of other religions, ie: his relationship with the Dalai Lama, praying in a Mosque etc.

PappaSmurf

Knight
carriehart;731897 said:

Find me something else that ties more people together than their faith? Get rid of organized religion and you lose 75% of the motivation used by terrorist groups to recruit, you lose a lot of racial, or social stereotyping. Fact is Religion is nothing more than another form of social control, there is not tangible fact in it what so ever. You have "rules" or guidelines for life written down by a bunch of dead fanatics from 2000 years ago which people today are willing to die over without any evidence that any of the so called miracles, or spiritual rewards is either factual, or plausible.

The Truth is Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hindu, Buddhist, Zen, Confucianism, Taoist, or even Wiccian beliefs are no more accurate, plausible or possible than what was believed by Greeks, Romans, Babylonians, Sumerian, Ancient Egyptians, Keltoi, or any of the various native American faiths yet the latter are defined as "Mythology". Religion by definition is simply the currently popular mythologies. Think on it look at the past and see what's going on in the present and is starting to rise up for the future. Organized religion in it's many forms has been the most devastating man made creation ever. More people have died for what they believe in but can't prove than have died in any politically motivated war ever. If you ask me Organized Religion is Eviler than what they try to condemn.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Nar Matteru;731878 said:
I'm calling bullshit on that one. Total opposite of who he was. The current pope however...

Also: irradiate - Wiktionary

Typo on the irradiate.. but What people show to the outside world is not always what they truly believe. To be honest this is and history has shown the ultimate goal almost every organized religion, To convert all to it's following.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Joeku;731904 said:
*pushes PappaSmurf off his soapbox*

I don't call it a soapbox I call it refusing to be a sheep. Opening my eyes and telling what is not what I'm taught and told is.

Religion, Government, and Social Standards are developed to control free thinking. People who are simply willing to live their life withing those confines, never questioning them are sheep and you know what they do to sheep right?

They fleece them for everything they are worth then send them off to slaughter.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Actually, Catholics as a whole aren't big on the converting thing. (partly because of the long process involved) More of a Protestant thing.

And you can say he was secretly plotting all kinds of shit, and I could say that Illuminati is doing the same. Doesn't make any of it true.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Nar Matteru;731907 said:
Actually, Catholics as a whole aren't big on the converting thing. (partly because of the long process involved) More of a Protestant thing.

And you can say he was secretly plotting all kinds of shit, and I could say that Illuminati is doing the same. Doesn't make any of it true.

So lets assume your Catholic which I believe you told me you were raised as. Your perfectly willing to submit yourself to an eternity in the burning pits of hell because you can't go 20 minutes without masturbating? You've never questioned that?

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
Pappsmurf said:
So lets assume your Catholic which I believe you told me you were raised as. Your perfectly willing to submit yourself to an eternity in the burning pits of hell because you can't go 20 minutes without masturbating?
.... so basically John Paul's big conspiracy theory was to burn all teenage boys alive?

I am not in support of catholicism as a whole, I am not in support of the church at all, Am not catholic, but your post, was completely wrong and unfounded, and instead of acknowledging that, you're trying to change the subject by pointing out all the wrong things with it (there are many more btw)

Where the hell did I say anything in support of Catholicism. You know damn well I'm Atheist.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Nar Matteru;731909 said:
.... so basically john paul's big conspiracy theory was to burn all teenage boys alive?

I am not in support of catholicism as a whole, I am not in support of the church at all, Am not catholic, but your post, was completely wrong and unfounded, and instead of acknowledging that, you're trying to change the subject by pointing out all the wrong things with it (there are many more btw)

Where the hell did I say anything in support of Catholicism. You know damn well I'm Atheist.

I'm not saying any conspiracy was to burn teenage boys. I was saying that his personal goals, or what he would have wanted were inline with any other great religious leaders. He wanted to have his faith seen as the one and only, making him no different than leaders of other major religious movements.

And I was saying I think I remembered you mentioning you come from a catholic family.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
PappaSmurf;731910 said:
I'm not saying any conspiracy was to burn teenage boys. I was saying that his personal goals, or what he would have wanted were inline with any other great religious leaders. He wanted to have his faith seen as the one and only, making him no different than leaders of other major religious movements.

And I was saying I think I remembered you mentioning you come from a catholic family.

Those were not his goals. At All. Read up on the man. He was the first (and only, since the new guy is a neo-nazi and Muslim hater) to be tolerant of other religions. He's the exact opposite of what you are describing.

And...I'm from Cajun Country, Everyone here comes from a Catholic Family.

carriehart

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;731902 said:
Find me something else that ties more people together than their faith? Get rid of organized religion and you lose 75% of the motivation used by terrorist groups to recruit, you lose a lot of racial, or social stereotyping. Fact is Religion is nothing more than another form of social control, there is not tangible fact in it what so ever. You have "rules" or guidelines for life written down by a bunch of dead fanatics from 2000 years ago which people today are willing to die over without any evidence that any of the so called miracles, or spiritual rewards is either factual, or plausible.

I don't disagree with the fact it's the leading motivation, and has been for more than 2000 year's, nor do I have an issue with your choice not to believe in a god. that's fine.
but my question was if you could do away with all religion, do you really think people couldn't find another excuse, come on, they'd find an excuse. do away with religion and nothing would change.

Nar Matteru

Wanderer
carriehart;731912 said:
I don't disagree with the fact it's the leading motivation, and has been for more than 2000 year's, nor do I have an issue with your choice not to believe in a god. that's fine.
but my question was if you could do away with all religion, do you really think people couldn't find another excuse, come on, they'd find an excuse. do away with religion and nothing would change.
Well, it would reduce alot.. there would still be conflict because of things like resources, land, population issues, etc

But honestly, carriehart, more people have been killed in the name of god than any other reason.

so yeah, the problems would still exist, but on a much much lesser scale.