RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which would you ban?

Which would you ban?

• Christianity

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Atheism

Votes: 11 10.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 55 53.4%

• Total voters

typhoonbot

Sorceror
In my opinion, anyone who chooses neither is a jackass because both religeons have their own beliefs and if someone says neither they are going againste their religeons beliefs.

Personally I would ban Athiest.

But thats just my beliefs, an Athiest would feel differently.

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
typhoonbot;732024 said:
In my opinion, anyone who chooses neither is a jackass because both religeons have their own beliefs and if someone says neither they are going againste their religeons beliefs.

But thats just my beliefs, an Athiest would feel differently.

So what you are saying is all religions want all other religions banned?

Courageous

Wanderer
typhoonbot;732024 said:

Consider carefully the idea that movements in the political direction of expelling people from their home country might cause more violence than you can imagine. When one's intolerance leads in this direction, there is a good word to contemplate:

GRAVEYARDS.

C//

Rosetta

Wanderer
PappaSmurf;732014 said:
Thing is where would these people be if there wasn't an organized Religion for them to hide behind? These people are using a fanatic devotion and code of ethics instilled in the population over centuries to manipulate and control them. This comes back to my original point, organized religion is fundamental in the control, and absolvement of basic human morals through providing a means to justify horrendous actions.

Remove the organization yet allow individuals to continue to have their faith, as they interpret it and you lose that shield. You can still pray nightly and go to heaven. You can still strap a bomb to your ass and blow up a bus load of elderly people in the name of your god in hopes of getting 22 virgins in heaven, but you won't have a small group of charismatic jackasses encouraging and and promoting such action. This over all will cause a net decrease in such actions, as the majority of the people are either cowards who haven't a big enough pair to do such things and need the support and initiative or have enough sense to know it's bullshit and stay the hell away from it.

Very well said, and I would give you +karma if it let me.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Rosetta;732033 said:

I'm not anti-faith I'm anti-religion there is a difference. Religion requires organization and when people organize they seem to push standards down each others throats. With government it's a bit different, people accept government for what it is and to a large part it's impersonal. Faith on the other hand is a personal belief structure, something one would hold personal opening an individual up to the influences of other like minded individuals. Using Organized Religion to exploit this is how Fanatic Islamic Priests manipulate their followers towards jihads. It's how The Spanish Inquisition was set in motion, and how in a sense WWII Germany was able to kill so many Jews without the people in that country rising up agianst itself. In the latter case it was the distrust and the differences of the Jewish communities that was used to bind others agianst. Abolishment of organized religion would have prevented any of the above from being possible.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Rosetta;732033 said:

I'm not anti-faith I'm anti-religion there is a difference. Religion requires organization and when people organize they seem to push standards down each others throats. With government it's a bit different, people accept government for what it is and to a large part it's impersonal. Faith on the other hand is a personal belief structure, something one would hold personal opening an individual up to the influences of other like minded individuals. Using Organized Religion to exploit this is how Fanatic Islamic Priests manipulate their followers towards jihads. It's how The Spanish Inquisition was set in motion, and how in a sense WWII Germany was able to kill so many Jews without the people in that country rising up agianst itself. In the latter case it was the distrust and the differences of the Jewish communities that was used to bind others against it . Abolishment of organized religion would have prevented any of the above from being possible.

Rosetta

Wanderer
PappaSmurf;732067 said:
I'm not anti-faith I'm anti-religion there is a difference.

:rolleyes:
Funny, I never figured you were saying anything of the kind.
Just to clarify I thought your original point was well spoken. You had just said the same thing again and I still think it is well said.

It's pretty easy for people on the net to think of extremes of what a person does or doesn't believe.

PappaSmurf;732014 said:
Thing is where would these people be if there wasn't an organized Religion for them to hide behind?

They'd find something else to help push their agenda. It's always the educated taking advantage of the uneducated and manipulating them any way possible. Religion is irrelevent.

Courageous

Wanderer
You're right. It's organized anything, where power is concentrated in a few hands. Look at what Stalin did. While Stalin was an Atheist, there was no organized mantle of Atheism running in Stalin's Russia. It was just one big organization of hatred.

C//

Maynza

Formerly DontdroptheSOAD
Courageous;732186 said:
You're right. It's organized anything, where power is concentrated in a few hands. Look at what Stalin did. While Stalin was an Atheist, there was no organized mantle of Atheism running in Stalin's Russia. It was just one big organization of hatred.

C//

Yeah, nationalism. :O

carriehart

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;732014 said:
Thing is where would these people be if there wasn't an organized Religion for them to hide behind? These people are using a fanatic devotion and code of ethics instilled in the population over centuries to manipulate and control them. This comes back to my original point, organized religion is fundamental in the control, and absolvement of basic human morals through providing a means to justify horrendous actions.

Remove the organization yet allow individuals to continue to have their faith, as they interpret it and you lose that shield. You can still pray nightly and go to heaven. You can still strap a bomb to your ass and blow up a bus load of elderly people in the name of your god in hopes of getting 22 virgins in heaven, but you won't have a small group of charismatic jackasses encouraging and and promoting such action. This over all will cause a net decrease in such actions, as the majority of the people are either cowards who haven't a big enough pair to do such things and need the support and initiative or have enough sense to know it's bullshit and stay the hell away from it.

How old is organized religion, not just the big three, or four, Budism's pretty darn big, but religion as a whole? And how about that membership, anyone of the big four can easily boast more members than, probably any nation on earth.
A lot of people + a lot of time = a lot of bullshit.

And how much of these good book's are really the will of god, god's whatever. I think it's more like 99 virgins, if give your life. The meek shall inherit the earth, suffer through life and you will be rewarded in the here after.
Yea sounds alot like direction's for making sheep.
For some weird reason some people need to have someone else point the way for them, have an overwhelming need to belong to something, religion, Political, PTA, KKK, NRA whatever.
Take away their religion and they'll find something else to belong to, and there will be someone there waiting to take advantage. I'm sure thing's would be better for awhile, it would take time to get the next big excuse rolling, look how long it took for religion to get to this point.

I agree with 99% of what you say on this subject. I just don't think you give humanity enough credit for it's ability to prey on it's self.

I know how to spell Buddhism, I not sure but I think Budism is bigger, it's a sin not to have a Bud in the frig.

PappaSmurf

Knight
carriehart;732251 said:
How old is organized religion, not just the big three, or four, Budism's pretty darn big, but religion as a whole? And how about that membership, anyone of the big four can easily boast more members than, probably any nation on earth.
A lot of people + a lot of time = a lot of bullshit.

And how much of these good book's are really the will of god, god's whatever. I think it's more like 99 virgins, if give your life. The meek shall inherit the earth, suffer through life and you will be rewarded in the here after.
Yea sounds alot like direction's for making sheep.
For some weird reason some people need to have someone else point the way for them, have an overwhelming need to belong to something, religion, Political, PTA, KKK, NRA whatever.
Take away their religion and they'll find something else to belong to, and there will be someone there waiting to take advantage. I'm sure thing's would be better for awhile, it would take time to get the next big excuse rolling, look how long it took for religion to get to this point.

I agree with 99% of what you say on this subject. I just don't think you give humanity enough credit for it's ability to prey on it's self.

I'm very willing to accept that Humanity will always prey on itself. Even what we would consider Dumb Animals fight among themselves and considering we've developed technology that can and does actually destroy, kill, and maim our fighting seems to have more devastating results. But I'm on the stand point of this, people are more passionate about religion than government or other societies. Even groups like the KKK roots much of their beliefs and tie them to religion in a fashion, for example for the KKK the burning of the cross is a religious rite not just a symbol of their organization. They look at it as representation of the light of god shining down upon them.

Simply put how much does religion interfere with, pass judgment on, and influence political decisions? You can't even pull the "Separation of Church and State" bit on this one...Religious organizations make up many of the most influential lobbyist organizations. Simply put Religion will go to no end to sink it's hooks into all it can and attempt to direct your life to it's ends regardless of your personal beliefs. Which is rather Ironic since many preach tolerance of those different from yourself....Religion pulls the strings of almost every influential organization or political group in the world in one shape or form.

I look at Organized Religion as the ultimate evil on the planet...because in truth Money isn't the root of all evil or you'd see Bill Gates knocking off 7-11's out of greed. It's the tool the majority of the wacko's and nut cases use promote and recruit for their causes.

carriehart

Sorceror
PappaSmurf;732256 said:
But I'm on the stand point of this, people are more passionate about religion than government or other societies..
You are right, kind of like leaving a nuke laying around, someones going to come along and use it.

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
"Separation of Church and State" .
The Church is the State in alot of places.

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
Simply put Religion will go to no end to sink it's hooks into all it can .
If some white guy who happened to be a muslim went for a stroll in Irac?

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
Which is rather Ironic since many preach tolerance of those different from yourself.
They only want to kill you if you disagree, that's all.

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
I look at Organized Religion as the ultimate evil on the planet.
Is the nuke evil or the person who used it ?

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
wacko's and nut cases use promote and recruit for their causes.

700 Club, If you don't vote Republican, you will go to hell.
If I vote Republican if won't be because I'm afraid of going to hell.

PappaSmurf;732256 said:
KKK the burning of the cross is a religious rite .
Sorry had to move this one down to wacko section.

Take their toy's away, they will find something else to play with.

As far as someone like Bill Gates is concerned, he dosn't have to go to the 7/11 to rob someone, or kill someone, he just has to put his arm on his good buddy's shoulder's like Bush, and his other partner Benladdin and start a war.

sorry can't spell worth a damm

Chase.XNA

Sorceror
I voted to ban Christianity (if there was an option to ban ever religion I would have chosen that) because anyone who believes some stories without any proof of it actually being true is not a very well off person.

I don't really think that's the underlined idea of religion (or of Christianity...)

It's just to try and help people live a better life.

Courageous

Wanderer
Which is rather Ironic since many preach tolerance of those different from yourself.

Islam, generally speaking, is a most intolerant religion. Their sociological development is where Christianity was in Europe during the 100 Years War.

I personally am not tolerant of Islam. My reasoning is simple: tolerance of intolerance is stupid.

There are entire European countries that are learning this the hard way. I'd say that we're all learning this the hard way. Intolerance must be crushed like a bug. It's the one thing that tolerant people have to be totally intolerant of, otherwise everything you stand for and believe in will be taken from you.

C//