RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wyatt and Phantom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantom

Knight
Even if he didn't know before he posted it. After he said something I warned him about being banned.

Of course he knew, otherwise he wouldn't have acted like the way he did. Please don't give him the pleasure of being missed. He broke the rules, and disrespected the author(s) of RunUO and this community.

He is basicly spitting in in the faces of people that have worked hard to create RunUO.

jaynigs

Wanderer
ASayre8 said:
As per the legality of RunUO, it's legal. It's fine. worse EA/OSI can do is terminate your account on their servers. Not gonna go into detail as it's been discussed a hundred times before. It's the lamest argument of someone doing soething illegal. Two wrong don't make a right, yaada yaada.

Please dont get me wrong here, I certainly wasnt condoning wyatts actions with this example, it was mentioned a few threads up and i was interested to know what the legality was. Apologies if its been mentioned before..

Can you confirm ASayr8 that the open source discussion was a big joke? im interested to know. No big deal either way, just wouldnt expect something like that to be joked about :confused:

Phantom

Knight
Can you confirm ASayr8 that the open source discussion was a big joke? im interested to know. No big deal either way, just wouldnt expect something like that to be joked about
Ryan talked about it in the irc channel. Perhaps on some levels Ryan might have been serious. After what the thread turned into, and the amount of people that were just plain wrong, turned him off to the idea.

Ryan is weird ( meant as a joke ), what do you expect from him, for him to joke about stuff that most people joke about?

I

Ivan_V_U

psz said:
He broke the law. US Copyright law.

Thus he was banned.

I know of no law Phantom has broken (seeing as being an utter asshole isn't breaking the law).

LOL You are crying about your copyright but same time you break EA copyright.

Buying US programs you are support the killing of the innocent peoples
in all of the world. Taking US programs for free you are blowing up
its ecomonical power.Break the license agreement and save the world from
US totalitarism.

jaynigs

Wanderer
Phantom said:
Ryan talked about it in the irc channel. Perhaps on some levels Ryan might have been serious. After what the thread turned into, and the amount of people that were just plain wrong, turned him off to the idea.

Ryan is weird ( meant as a joke ), what do you expect from him, for him to joke about stuff that most people joke about?

Well, no, it was just that it appeared in every sense to be a serious thread, maybe it was just me, im assuming that ryan is a regular guy and have no reason to think that his jokes are going to be totally different to anyone elses, we all have our different senses of humour, but im sure he was considering it at one point, maybe i should log into irc now and again, its hard to tell whats going on from the forum...

Admiral

Wanderer
The RunUO Development Team has not given permission to to distribute RunUO. It also has not given permission to decompile the core. You agree not to do both, when you download RunUO from this website.
sorry guys, but there are lots of sites where people can download runuo without accepting any licenses. and i personally emailed runuo rc0 to Wyatt, because he had problems with his ISP account and had access only to his mailbox, so he DIDN'T accepted ANY licenses.

Vidi

Page
I just want to clarify that my earlier post in this thread was not meant to disrespect ANYONE including the dev team, Phantom or even Wyatt.

Wyatt's paragon scripts were a great help to me. Because of that I am sorry to see him go.

Phantom has ALWAYS helped me with my scripting problems. Yes, he helps me HIS way, but HIS way actually helps me LEARN something. So much respect to him.

And the Dev team? Well, what can I say but they created the emulator that allowed me to tell OSI to go...ahem...fly a kite...yeah, that's what I told them to go do. So much respect to them.

I just feel that there's been a few bannings over the last year or so that really hurt the community, even though they were completely justified bannings. I won't name the names of the others because...well...we really do know who they are. don't we?

Hell, one of them even reposted my crappy code and called it his.

Sorry to post again in this thread. This is my last post in the thread. I just wanted to clarify so there were no hurt feelings.

psz

Administrator
BTW, I told Wyat in IRC over a WEEK ago that it was illegal (this is how he got banned from IRC), and he said "Maybe. Oh well".

He knew it was illegal. He didn't care. He was then banned from IRC.

The *ONLY* copyright law RunUO may be breaking is having UO in the title.

You can run RunUO with 100% custom art/sound/animations/maps/etc. At no point do you *EVER* need an OSI file. It just happens to support the files that come with the client.

Oh, you can also connect with a 100% third party client. All in all, you can have a client/server combo that uses no OSI files at all.

RunUO is not illegal.

(BTW, there are a number of @ea.com and @uo.com accounts on these forums :-P)

Admiral

Wanderer
You can run RunUO with 100% custom art/sound/animations/maps/etc. At no point do you *EVER* need an OSI file. It just happens to support the files that come with the client.

Oh, you can also connect with a 100% third party client. All in all, you can have a client/server combo that uses no OSI files at all.
but dev's accepted uo TOS when created their accounts. and then they used uo files to create their emulator. i like runuo, i'm not against it! but topic is about Wyatt and Phantom, not about runuo legality.

ZacK_Black

Sorceror
Admiral said:
but dev's accepted uo TOS when created their accounts. and then they used uo files to create their emulator. i like runuo, i'm not against it! but topic is about Wyatt and Phantom, not about runuo legality.

Actually I think the topic is about Wyatt....

...Phantom just got dragged into it.

BUT back to Phantom (since he is in the middle of this now) I belong to several forums that are paintball and airsoft related and on those forums it's against the rules for ANYBODY but a mod to reply to a post with a "do a search"( or similar such comments). Why? Because it saves ALOT of headaches and flames. Basically if the person doesnt want to 'spoonfeed' a 'noob' by answering their question they HAVE to ignore the thread (which in my opinion would be somthing that would VASTLY improve Phantoms rep here on the RUO forums. AKA: Ignoring the threads that he doesn't want to answer over and over again.)

One cavit about this: I'm picking on Phantom here (which is probably wrong but since he is in the middle of this thread I figgured it would be understandable if not totally nice) but it also goes for ALOT of other people I've seen posting while I have been lurking on these boards.

Phantom

Knight
I don't tell people to search.

I do make people work, to solve the solution. This means I don't post the answer they want, and some people dislike this about me.

Well that is not going to change. I will like always try to improve myself, but thats all I will do.

xir

Wanderer
psz said:
He knew it was illegal. He didn't care. He was then banned from IRC.

The *ONLY* copyright law RunUO may be breaking is having UO in the title.

RunUO is not illegal.

For what its worth :-
The file formats, encryption and communication protocols on which all emulators, and most emulator tools are based didn't just magically appear someday for our convenient use. This information was obtained through decompilation and disassembling the client in order to see how it works. I also highly doubt that the creation of RunUO or KUOC was done without any decompilation or reverse engineering in an attempt to get at packet information and how they work (which is encrypted for a reason!)
There is also the issue of third party information, is it legal to create a derivation of UO software from third party information that was obtained illegal?

Read the TOS for yourself and make up your own mind. I find it nothing less than explicit.

http://uo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/uo.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=20

Under Section 5 of the TOS

(d) Official Service. Ultima Online has been designed by EA.com for play only on the Service. The Software is licensed to you for play on the Service only. EA.com does not grant you a license to use the Software for any other purpose. You agree to play Ultima Online only on the Service and not through any other means. You further agree not to create or provide any other means through which Ultima Online may be played by others - for example, through server emulators. You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Software, including any proprietary communications protocol used by the Software. You acknowledge that you do not have the right to create, publish, distribute, create derivative works from or use any software programs, utilities, applications, emulators or tools derived from or created for Ultima Online unless specifically authorized in writing by EA.com.

I don't condone the reverse engineer of RunUO, I just find it a little ironic and a little amusing.

xir

Merlin*

Super Newb Moderator
Admiral said:
sorry guys, but there are lots of sites where people can download runuo without accepting any licenses. and i personally emailed runuo rc0 to Wyatt, because he had problems with his ISP account and had access only to his mailbox, so he DIDN'T accepted ANY licenses.

Isn't this also against the license that you agreed to?

Chrono13

Wanderer
the problem with having people get the answers themselves, is that they have to have the knowledge in a basic form already there, plato answer his students with questions in a benevolent way to help them come to their own conclusions and bring about a higher level of thinking, but that was in worldly things back in ancient greek times, here we are talking about writing complex scripts or even basics scripts with a very basic founding of knowledge they need a bit more help with the slightly bigger things, so by offering them a question and some research materials then they might find their own answers. all this was brought about by the earlier statement of phantom being rude and belittling new comers, my thoughts are that if you know what you are doing why not help those who dont so they wont bother you ever again

Phantom

Knight
Chrono13 said:
the problem with having people get the answers themselves, is that they have to have the knowledge in a basic form already there, plato answer his students with questions in a benevolent way to help them come to their own conclusions and bring about a higher level of thinking, but that was in worldly things back in ancient greek times, here we are talking about writing complex scripts or even basics scripts with a very basic founding of knowledge they need a bit more help with the slightly bigger things, so by offering them a question and some research materials then they might find their own answers. all this was brought about by the earlier statement of phantom being rude and belittling new comers, my thoughts are that if you know what you are doing why not help those who dont so they wont bother you ever again
All I want from people is for them to try. Thats all I asked from people, if you want help try to do it, then ask for help. I will help you, some people ( mainly people that have been banned for it ) feel that they need to become part of the process.

The process is a very complex process, most of the time it fails, but sometimes it works. I know it works, people tell me thanks once in awhile after a short discussion of trial and error. It just doesn't work for people who are not willing to put the effort in. But I am always willing to try, so I always do, no matter if I know for a fact it won't make a difference.

sidsid

Sorceror
Ivan_V_U said:
LOL You are crying about your copyright but same time you break EA copyright.

Buying US programs you are support the killing of the innocent peoples
in all of the world. Taking US programs for free you are blowing up
its ecomonical power.Break the license agreement and save the world from
US totalitarism.
ok.. im a nobody, but i really like to waste my time coming up with stupid responses to stupid posts.... but this... im *nearly* speechless....

Talrol

Wanderer
Vidi said:
I have noticed of late the dev team seems to be getting more and more angry. What is causing this I don't know. But posts seem ( at least from this side of the monitor ) to be laced with anger. Whatever is the cause of this, I hope that they can take some comfort in the fact there are TONS of us out here, who don't post everyday or even every week, who are grateful beyond words for their hard work.

There seems to be a growing divide among the dev team and those who release their own work. Maybe those who release their own work are getting an attitude. MAybe it's the devs. I don't know, I am not there to see what happens on IRC and most of the threads that get people banned end up deleted after a short time. But it is a shame, that everyone just can't get along and keep this community growing.

I run a very customized shard, which actually has been closed for the last 6 months due to creating a completely custom map as well as leveling system, many of the players that had requested most of what we are doing are helping out with things such as deco and building etc...I am the primary coder for all of the new systems and have the lovely job of trying to make everyone happy which I'm sure everyone knows just isn't possible.

I can say from experience over the last 6 months that I myself have grown short and somewhat ill tempered with many of those who are helping on our shard, whether they are staff members or testers. It's nothing to do with them personally, it's to do with the fact that there are a very few people that no matter what you do they take up 90% of your time pissing and moaning and bitching about everything, to the point that I finally look at them and tell them that if they think they can do a better job, then go start your own shard and do it. From the devs standpoint, I can honestly see why they tend to get attitudes.

A couple of days ago I had to release a staff member from my team, because he would not follow the rules. He insisted that he knew what was best and chose to go off and screw up areas that have not yet been spawned and decorated. Ok no big deal, when we get ready to work on that area we will just wipe it, the other work he was doing was good and his doing the other area wasn't really hurting anything right? Up until the other day I'd have said sure it was fine, but when he started pulling other members over to that area and setting up teleporter gates to it it was time to put a stop to, he lied to the lead decorator about it, and was basically doing things that are against our rules, so I removed him.

The point is that Asayre8 felt that the rules had been broken to the point that Wyatt had become a detriment to either the work they are doing, or to the community and therefore removed him. I for one applaud the dev team on this decision. Bottom line, if Wyatt thinks he can do a better job, then he can go off and write his own emu. Perhaps if people could leave things alone and stick within the bounds set by the developers they would have more time to work on the next release of RunUO instead of having to police the community.

Admiral

Wanderer
why you can't understand that he is NOT your enemy?! he wants to HELP devs and all other users, he doesn't bitch anyway, he isn't flooding anywhere! aim of license is not to ban every1, but to make RunUO better! he really does it. so why you try to remove him from runuo community???

sidsid

Sorceror
Admiral said:
why you can't understand that he is NOT your enemy?! he wants to HELP devs and all other users, he doesn't bitch anyway, he isn't flooding anywhere! aim of license is not to ban every1, but to make RunUO better! he really does it. so why you try to remove him from runuo community???
Did you read ANY of his or his friends posts above? That really doesnt sound very friendly at all. Sounds more like he is upset at something and wants a way to retaliate.

Status
Not open for further replies.